Beware of the latest Buzzword... Unpolished!

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Beware of the latest Buzzword... Unpolished!

August 2nd, 2011, 4:56 pm #1

An unpolished Rolex case is a rare thing indeed.
I guess 1 in a 100 could qualify.

I too love an unpolished case and if im buying a datejust or a daytona i insist on it or just a single factory polish.

Bevelled edge sports watches however are rarely seen unpolished.
If they are they are usually due a recut to flatten the case and return it to an original shape.

Occasionly we see a great great condition unpolished sports case that has hardly been used and could enter our collections as is. Very occasionly.

Most watches described as unpolished have been polished once or even twice but because the case shape remains and the bevelled edges look neat sellers describe them as unpolished and buyers convince themselves its true.

When it comes to working watches you can near enough forget unpolished. Military Rolex and Comex subs and seadwellers (Plastic) have all been polished while at geneva and most have had a second and third polish by an approved Rolex watchmaker but without factory machines. Its an honest part of their history and most civi watches too.

In 20 years i have only once claimed a vintage case to be unpolished when selling.

edit to add (plastic)

---Perpetual Knowledge---
Last edited by fantastictime on August 2nd, 2011, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Perpetual Knowledge-

August 2nd, 2011, 5:05 pm #2

August 2nd, 2011, 5:27 pm #3

I too love an unpolished case and if im buying a datejust or a daytona i insist on it or just a single factory polish.

If they are they are usually due a recut to flatten the case and return it to an original shape.

Occasionly we see a great great condition unpolished sports case that has hardly been used and could enter our collections as is. Very occasionly.

Most watches described as unpolished have been polished once or even twice but because the case shape remains and the bevelled edges look neat sellers describe them as unpolished and buyers convince themselves its true.

When it comes to working watches you can near enough forget unpolished. Military Rolex and Comex subs and seadwellers (Plastic) have all been polished while at geneva and most have had a second and third polish by an approved Rolex watchmaker but without factory machines. Its an honest part of their history and most civi watches too.

In 20 years i have only once claimed a vintage case to be unpolished when selling.

edit to add (plastic)

who seem to mean "a watch that has not been recently serviced or touched-up" (i.e. it has plenty of scratches & dings on it).

IMHO, even RSC cannot recreate the original flat sides and beveled edges of a truly unpolished/unrefinished/untouched case.

Below are a few examples of such "virgins" from my collection:

August 2nd, 2011, 5:32 pm #4

edit to add (plastic)

Now, I am a real bastard when asking about case condition

August 2nd, 2011, 6:45 pm #5

edit to add (plastic)

Maybe it is overkill but VRF being a premier vintage Rolex site just might be able to pull one off.
It would deter sellers from overstatements such as you have mentioned.
Could be a can of worms but a carefully documented archive would make a great resource.

August 2nd, 2011, 6:57 pm #6

...on Tom's mood.

August 2nd, 2011, 8:42 pm #7

edit to add (plastic)

Agreed ! Thumbs Up. NT

August 2nd, 2011, 9:50 pm #8

Maybe it is overkill but VRF being a premier vintage Rolex site just might be able to pull one off.
It would deter sellers from overstatements such as you have mentioned.
Could be a can of worms but a carefully documented archive would make a great resource.
But to establish a distinction between what is and what is not unpolished is going to be tough leading to passionate debates. Many collectors honestly think they own unpolished examples but in fact theirs are fat to really fat but not unpolished.

True unpolished examples tend to be really rare nowadays except for the modern models just purchased at the AD next door

August 2nd, 2011, 11:13 pm #9

edit to add (plastic)

This would be AMAZING to see!!!!!!!!

August 3rd, 2011, 12:39 am #10

edit to add (plastic)

Thank you Roger. Agree..it needed to be said