Authenticity Question on 2 Tone 1680

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Authenticity Question on 2 Tone 1680

August 18th, 2012, 1:09 am #1

Hello all -

A couple of days ago I posted a question about a steel and gold 1680 that I purchased new from an AD in 1980. The AD stated that it was a special/custom order by a customer who later backed out of the sale. I have the all the orignal boxes and paperwork, including the punched warranty card. It was purchased at a Baily Banks & Biddle store that has since closed. I have emailed corp headquaters to see if they have the orignal invoice from Rolex and am awaiting response.

The consensus from members overall was that a true custom 2 tone 1680 was relatively unheard of, and that all known examples were found to be conversions.

A couple of members suggested looking at the inside of the caseback since true customs have the ser # engraved there. I have since taken their advice and have attached pics of what I found, along with other pics of the watch. The watch has been serviced at a Rolex service center twice. I contacted them but they said they do not have records on the original build, although their policy is that they will only service watches that are in the same confiuration as when shipped.

Please share any thoughts you have on the authenticity of this piece.

Thanks fo much for any help.

Glenn

August 18th, 2012, 1:15 am #2

August 18th, 2012, 1:16 am #3

Hello all -

A couple of days ago I posted a question about a steel and gold 1680 that I purchased new from an AD in 1980. The AD stated that it was a special/custom order by a customer who later backed out of the sale. I have the all the orignal boxes and paperwork, including the punched warranty card. It was purchased at a Baily Banks & Biddle store that has since closed. I have emailed corp headquaters to see if they have the orignal invoice from Rolex and am awaiting response.

The consensus from members overall was that a true custom 2 tone 1680 was relatively unheard of, and that all known examples were found to be conversions.

A couple of members suggested looking at the inside of the caseback since true customs have the ser # engraved there. I have since taken their advice and have attached pics of what I found, along with other pics of the watch. The watch has been serviced at a Rolex service center twice. I contacted them but they said they do not have records on the original build, although their policy is that they will only service watches that are in the same confiuration as when shipped.

Glenn

janiceandfred
VRF Member

August 18th, 2012, 1:56 am #4

Hello all -

Glenn
then i guess it is what it is, and no mystery about it. what are you looking to authenticate if you indeed bought it brand new from an AD and accepted their explanation? according to your description of events it's obviously all rolex.

August 18th, 2012, 2:03 am #5

have said that there were no 2-tone 1680s produced and they were all conversions made with other parts. Of course, the possibilty exists that the AD misrepresented the watch. I consider this unlikley, but I guess I just want to know for sure one way or another.

Thanks for your comments!
Glenn

August 18th, 2012, 2:51 am #6

Hello all -

Glenn
...for a special order Rolex, I mean engraved at the factory with numbers that should appear almost identical to the numbers between the lugs in both font & style. Your engraving is clearly ex post facto by a watchmaker or other non-original agent. Maybe Rolex did it at the service but they did not do it when the watch was assembled, which would be the true sign of a special order watch. The other black ink markings are typical of Rolex service markings, BTW.
So IMHO this is still a put together watch and never something that was originally produced by Rolex in this particular configuration.
Best regards,
Tom

Last edited by tomvox1 on August 18th, 2012, 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 18th, 2012, 3:57 am #7

Those do NOT look like Rolex RSC service marks...they would say SWC-with a date...or RBH with a date or RNY with a date etc.

That being said...Rolex also WOULD NOT service that watch if it did not come that way....so if it has always been that way and they serviced it...then that is pretty much gold...but you have to show me service docs...and something stating that the watch had those parts on it when it was in service.

Not doubting anyone just saying what I would need to be comfortable with it.

If you take a stainless Rolex to Rolex with gold parts on it they will confiscate your gold parts even if they are genuine and require you to buy stainless parts from them at their cost and install them on the watch or they won't service it. They will not give you any exchange credit for your gold parts against the new stainless parts if memory serves.

At LEAST that is the case with a 5 digit model number and later watch.

I personally know this to be a fact as my friend had a converted watch that he bought new in a situation that I can't fully explain....and he sent it to Rolex in L.A. and they made him do this. He argued with them and they finally agreed to sell him a replacement case frame....at a huge cost...that had the steel and gold model designated on it....and they allowed him to keep his gold genuine items on the watch. An independent had serviced the watch once before and at his request painted the second hand red...they would NOT allow this to be on the watch as this model was never offered with a red second hand and they forced him to put a yellow seconds back on it at his cost AND they kept his red hand....they are not screwing around.

Hell they wouldn't even do a 1501 in stainless for me with a black dial and gold markers and hands...they said they didn't come this way (even though we know they did) and I would have to change the dial and hands to white gold...or they would not service the watch.

So...this watch did not go to RSC like this and pass unless they indeed feel that it came that way and that is okay.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by RolexWatchTime on August 18th, 2012, 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

figcar
VRF Member
figcar
VRF Member

August 18th, 2012, 4:30 am #8

I once bought a high beat 18037 (I think that was the number) that should have had a bark bezel but instead had a fluted bezel (Rolex part). RBH said they would not service the watch unless I had them put the correct bezel on it. However they did not confiscate the watch nor the part and gave it back to me when I declined service.

I brought them another Rolex on a generic strap. They accepted the head for service only after I removed the strap.

They decline to accept another Rolex of mine when they could no long get the parts needed to perform the service.

However they have serviced many other watches for me without problems.

All just my experience.

John Ireland

figcar
VRF Member
figcar
VRF Member

August 18th, 2012, 4:36 am #9

...for a special order Rolex, I mean engraved at the factory with numbers that should appear almost identical to the numbers between the lugs in both font & style. Your engraving is clearly ex post facto by a watchmaker or other non-original agent. Maybe Rolex did it at the service but they did not do it when the watch was assembled, which would be the true sign of a special order watch. The other black ink markings are typical of Rolex service markings, BTW.
So IMHO this is still a put together watch and never something that was originally produced by Rolex in this particular configuration.
Best regards,
Tom
client who then never completed the purchase and so the AD sold it as it is to you. This would be possible if the AD had a good in-house service capacity and staff. Or if they bought the watch from another dealer under the same above situation.

John Ireland

August 18th, 2012, 4:44 am #10

Policy was VERY different. Rolex regional representatives actually instructed the sales managers to "sell the uprgrade". If someone was pining for a steel and gold but obviously did not have the funds....they were told to sell them on the Rolex in steel and get them into the fold and show them that for a little extra down the road their watch could have the steel bits changed out for gold and they could have the watch they really wanted at that time without buying something non Rolex in the meantime.

This all changed with the 5 digit numbers...