AQ - Steve McQueen 5512

Vintage Rolex Discussion

AQ - Steve McQueen 5512

May 11th, 2009, 5:53 pm #1

Thanks to the dutch forum dezinvanluxe.nl I saw the preview on TZ for the june 11th AQ-action... And wow, 2 McQueen originals: the Monaco and the 5512!

photo's per tz

I'll leave the originality-check to the experts, but hey.. way cool!

May 11th, 2009, 6:08 pm #2

The early Luminova replacement dials still said "SWISS-T < 25" on the bottom.

May 11th, 2009, 6:28 pm #3

Thanks to the dutch forum dezinvanluxe.nl I saw the preview on TZ for the june 11th AQ-action... And wow, 2 McQueen originals: the Monaco and the 5512!

photo's per tz

The watch he wore during the filming now is in the museum that TagHeuer has in Switzerland, a watch I owned for a couple of years. The second is one he used for press shoots..that watch is in a private collection in Italy..the third changed hands last year at an auction in Italy IIRC, and now this one..
Watches 1 and 2 both came with authentication papers from the property master of the movie, not sure what accompanied #3..
Cheers,
David

May 11th, 2009, 11:23 pm #4

photo's per tz

watch McQueen actually wore, it is just the same model number as one he wore in photographs. And the Monaco is also not really one of McQueen's own watches, but an undocumented watch just like the one the Prop Dept. gave him to wear at publicity events.

I'm not sure if this is the sort of "celebrity provenance" I'd be willing to pay a premium for. It feels more like product placement hype rather than genuine links to a legendary figure.

It certainly isn't the same as the PN Daytona models which Newman used for years and years, and the sub dials of which had significant improved legibility over the standard sub dials...that greater readability important during auto races. And I personally wouldn't pay a premium for a PN either, unless it was one of Newman's own personal watches.

John Ireland

May 12th, 2009, 3:23 am #5

photo's per tz

If I understand the timezone article, this 5512 was owned by Steve McQueen and he left it to his friend Jimmy Brucker. It supposedly is a 1967 5512 and appears to have had a later dial. It does have the correct rivet band (narrower center links) as seen in all the McQueen photos. I would like to see real documentation that it did belong to McQueen. I wonder if Chad, his son, agrees.

May 12th, 2009, 5:57 am #6

The early Luminova replacement dials still said "SWISS-T < 25" on the bottom.
how could u tell its a luminova dial?