Another one found in the wild!

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Another one found in the wild!

January 3rd, 2014, 10:14 pm #1

Just to cover the formalities, the watch I am about to talk about and show is already sold to a local to me VRF member and he approved this post. So, this is by no means a FS thread or hype up for a pre-sale. I just find it amazing to find something 55 years old from original owner in its original state.

So, last month I received a phone call from an older gentleman saying he was looking to sell a couple old watches he had. With calls like this, you never know what will be there when you show up. To my pleasant surprise, this is what I found when we met:

A 1958 Sub 6536 1 in all of its untouched and worn glory along with 1961 Speedmaster 2998.

The US NAVY retiree told me the story of how he bought both of these watch brand new. He worn both of them throughout his career and up until very recently when it became harder to wear and see them.

The 6536's crystal had crazing and many scratches from over the years and the insert was unfortunately missing. The case, however, was in superb condition. The numbers are VERY crisp, there is no corrosion or pitting anywhere, hell, it has barely been polished ever. He wore it as a tool watch. I knew that the original dial looked very nice and glossy, but couldn't tell if it had spidering or tool marks or other aging because of the crystal.

I sent it off to ABC and after several weeks, this is what came back to me

Earlier today, Chris took possession of this incredible 6536 1 with a very thick case, an early insert (Chris is still looking for red triangle), incredible glossy dial that is virtually flawless, all original hands, badass patina, and aside from insert and crystal guaranteed 100% all original!

I am happy it went to a good customer and friend and that we are still able to share stories such as is from one-owner pieces!

January 3rd, 2014, 11:18 pm #2

Stunning. Thanks for sharing.

January 3rd, 2014, 11:23 pm #3

Just to cover the formalities, the watch I am about to talk about and show is already sold to a local to me VRF member and he approved this post. So, this is by no means a FS thread or hype up for a pre-sale. I just find it amazing to find something 55 years old from original owner in its original state.

So, last month I received a phone call from an older gentleman saying he was looking to sell a couple old watches he had. With calls like this, you never know what will be there when you show up. To my pleasant surprise, this is what I found when we met:

A 1958 Sub 6536 1 in all of its untouched and worn glory along with 1961 Speedmaster 2998.

The US NAVY retiree told me the story of how he bought both of these watch brand new. He worn both of them throughout his career and up until very recently when it became harder to wear and see them.

The 6536's crystal had crazing and many scratches from over the years and the insert was unfortunately missing. The case, however, was in superb condition. The numbers are VERY crisp, there is no corrosion or pitting anywhere, hell, it has barely been polished ever. He wore it as a tool watch. I knew that the original dial looked very nice and glossy, but couldn't tell if it had spidering or tool marks or other aging because of the crystal.

Earlier today, Chris took possession of this incredible 6536 1 with a very thick case, an early insert (Chris is still looking for red triangle), incredible glossy dial that is virtually flawless, all original hands, badass patina, and aside from insert and crystal guaranteed 100% all original!

I am happy it went to a good customer and friend and that we are still able to share stories such as is from one-owner pieces!

+1

January 4th, 2014, 1:45 am #4

+2

January 4th, 2014, 11:07 am #5

NT

January 4th, 2014, 12:45 pm #6

Eat At Joes
Last edited by HaroldRichardson on January 4th, 2014, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 4th, 2014, 1:00 pm #7

And I'm really liking that 2998-61!

Any more pictures of it? Did you get it serviced as well?

January 4th, 2014, 4:17 pm #8

And a very nice speedy as well!

January 4th, 2014, 5:36 pm #9

It's good for all of us to continue to see great watches discovered.

Chris has a good eye and is building a quality collection.

Keep up the good work guys,

Gary

January 4th, 2014, 8:05 pm #10

Thanks for sharing your find, and the transformation! Both amazing watches, the Speedmaster is my grail!