Advise on Triple Lock Crown on 1969 Red Sub

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Advise on Triple Lock Crown on 1969 Red Sub

August 8th, 2012, 1:47 pm #1

Hello,

I am new to the vintage game and am looking to buy a 1969/1970 red sub. I have the opportunity to buy a meters first mark II from 1969 but it has the first triple lock factory installed by rolex which occurred during the service back in the day (at least that's what I am told). Does this decrease the resale value? I have been doing a lot of searching and it looks like most of the early red subs have a triple lock at this point.

Thanks for any advise.

J

August 8th, 2012, 2:57 pm #2

to my opinion J....
i have the original crown on my Red Sub MKI but i didn't pay a premium for that. As you say, most vintage red subs had the crown replaced by a triplock version during one of the services.
just my 2 cents

August 8th, 2012, 11:30 pm #3

Hello,

I am new to the vintage game and am looking to buy a 1969/1970 red sub. I have the opportunity to buy a meters first mark II from 1969 but it has the first triple lock factory installed by rolex which occurred during the service back in the day (at least that's what I am told). Does this decrease the resale value? I have been doing a lot of searching and it looks like most of the early red subs have a triple lock at this point.

Thanks for any advise.

J
Old worn crowns can be a pretty dangerous.