A grail insert for a grail watch,,,,,,,but not before a near heart attack!!

Vintage Rolex Discussion

A grail insert for a grail watch,,,,,,,but not before a near heart attack!!

February 20th, 2012, 1:15 am #1

Ok,

First off, I have been searching high and low for a red triangle, round font insert for my 6538 BC. After a year or so of searching, I finally found one in great worn shape!! Excited as I was, I decided to take a few pics to get your opinion on which insert you like better.

Now for the near heart attack. After I was done snapping a couple pics, I slipped the insert and bezel into my pocket. Later today, I was at Costco getting gas, and I forgot I had left the bezel and insert in my pocket. I got home and had some coffee, and I remembered I'd better take the bezel/insert out and put it up for safe keeping,,,,,only it wasn't there!! I looked all over my house, carefully retracing my steps.....and then it hit me - it's at the gas station!! Now bear in mind that there was a long line for gas on all pumps, so I knew that the odds it was destroyed was pretty good. I arrived at the station, and found the bezel, but the insert had popped out. The bezel was fine, not a scratch....I found the insert just a few feet away, and to my surprise, it was fine!! I couldn't believe it! I AM SOOOOOOOO LUCKY it didn't get destroyed by a car.....unbelieveable! The attendant was looking at me like I was nuts!!

Ok, so which one do you like better??

Faded Silver Ghost

Or Red Triangle, round font

and here's a pic in the chilly sunshine while taking the dogs out......

February 20th, 2012, 1:32 am #2

Glad you were able to find that insert at the gas station...that would have been a tragedy! Congrats on the insert, It's very nice, but I have to say that I prefer the ghost with that beautiful brown dial..Either way, that is an amazing watch!

Congrats again-
Glenn

February 20th, 2012, 1:41 am #3

you are so lucky! whew!

February 20th, 2012, 3:13 am #4

Ok,

First off, I have been searching high and low for a red triangle, round font insert for my 6538 BC. After a year or so of searching, I finally found one in great worn shape!! Excited as I was, I decided to take a few pics to get your opinion on which insert you like better.

Now for the near heart attack. After I was done snapping a couple pics, I slipped the insert and bezel into my pocket. Later today, I was at Costco getting gas, and I forgot I had left the bezel and insert in my pocket. I got home and had some coffee, and I remembered I'd better take the bezel/insert out and put it up for safe keeping,,,,,only it wasn't there!! I looked all over my house, carefully retracing my steps.....and then it hit me - it's at the gas station!! Now bear in mind that there was a long line for gas on all pumps, so I knew that the odds it was destroyed was pretty good. I arrived at the station, and found the bezel, but the insert had popped out. The bezel was fine, not a scratch....I found the insert just a few feet away, and to my surprise, it was fine!! I couldn't believe it! I AM SOOOOOOOO LUCKY it didn't get destroyed by a car.....unbelieveable! The attendant was looking at me like I was nuts!!

Faded Silver Ghost

Now more luckier lost and found. Both inserts are awesome but the red triangle is just look more original to the big crown.

Enjoy!

February 20th, 2012, 4:56 am #5

Ok,

Faded Silver Ghost

not to mention more original

February 20th, 2012, 11:44 am #6

Ok,

Faded Silver Ghost

would you tell me where found the insert and what u have paid so far? I am looming for one as well for my 6538...

February 20th, 2012, 12:11 pm #7

Ok,

Faded Silver Ghost

Nt
Last edited by watchesap on February 20th, 2012, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

holycosmic
holycosmic

February 20th, 2012, 12:36 pm #8

I like the story, even more for happy ending.

February 20th, 2012, 2:11 pm #9

Ok,

Faded Silver Ghost

Stunning watch Buddy !!

ag

February 20th, 2012, 2:39 pm #10

Ok,

Faded Silver Ghost

Like the faded insert the best. The one with the red triangle is nice, but on another watch. BTW reallly cool watch. Regards