6610 ...update...i was going to let this die , and hope vendor took the hint

Vintage Rolex Discussion

6610 ...update...i was going to let this die , and hope vendor took the hint

March 4th, 2012, 12:41 am #1

but as a few members have asked for an update ....and a couple of people have been digging into it.....

here is the watch offered at UK provincial auction (auction photos)...in late 2008 ..... and then later in 2009 offered on ebay ( using the same ID that is now being offered by the vendor as part of his references)...some of our membership take very good notes !!!.

same service dial...same paperwork ..except at the auction it had an oyster bracelet and a spare loose original dial with it.

here is the watch that wasn't bought from auction , has been in an uncles collection for many years ..... you decide ....personally id be exercising extreme caution moving forward ...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/m ... s+added%29
Last edited by jedly1 on March 4th, 2012, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 4th, 2012, 2:05 am #2

Great detective work, Jed! This financial crisis is bringing out the worst in people.

March 4th, 2012, 3:14 am #3

but as a few members have asked for an update ....and a couple of people have been digging into it.....

here is the watch offered at UK provincial auction (auction photos)...in late 2008 ..... and then later in 2009 offered on ebay ( using the same ID that is now being offered by the vendor as part of his references)...some of our membership take very good notes !!!.

same service dial...same paperwork ..except at the auction it had an oyster bracelet and a spare loose original dial with it.

here is the watch that wasn't bought from auction , has been in an uncles collection for many years ..... you decide ....personally id be exercising extreme caution moving forward ...

Thanks Jed for looking out for folks..Unbelievable, stuck to his story after confronted

March 4th, 2012, 12:10 pm #4

I inherited these watches only recently together with my elderly brother, and although he bought most years ago, he also bought some quite recently. I also did indeed offer a few on ebay for him, as he did not use a computer. I am most unhappy that you are trying to imply there is something wrong with the 6610? What exactly are you trying to say? What does it matter if any of his collection have been on ebay? The watch is what it is at the end of the day.

March 4th, 2012, 4:28 pm #5

...ostensibly from 1958, just like the dial on Bas's that we discussed the other day.

Either these watches were "recalled" and new dials inserted after the luminous change or Rolex was messing with T SWISS T before 1963.
Very, very interesting.
Best,
T.

March 4th, 2012, 5:29 pm #6

I was the underbidder when this watch was sold by Sworder's auction house here in the UK on 11th November 2008. It was catalogued as a "Rolex 6610 with T SWISS T service dial" and the original swiss radium dial was loose with the watch. As well as the original 1958 guarantee cert, there was a 1960s service receipt, probably from the service at which the dial was swapped over. All this is not to say that there aren't some very late 6610s which were fitted with this T SWISS T dial when first sold, but this isn't one of them...

Best,
Ian.

March 4th, 2012, 6:23 pm #7

I inherited these watches only recently together with my elderly brother, and although he bought most years ago, he also bought some quite recently. I also did indeed offer a few on ebay for him, as he did not use a computer. I am most unhappy that you are trying to imply there is something wrong with the 6610? What exactly are you trying to say? What does it matter if any of his collection have been on ebay? The watch is what it is at the end of the day.
for the history ....

you said it wasn't at auction and had been owned for years...i think its shown it was
you said it wasn't on ebay ...though now you admitt it was....

doesn't say anything about the watch ...says something about your honesty , transparency and integrity to not just answer straight in the first place and begs the question why NOT just be straight in the first place...unfortunately that is an important issue around here

WE are VERY careful here to check vendors are straight as best we can.
Last edited by jedly1 on March 4th, 2012, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 5th, 2012, 1:19 pm #8

I was the underbidder when this watch was sold by Sworder's auction house here in the UK on 11th November 2008. It was catalogued as a "Rolex 6610 with T SWISS T service dial" and the original swiss radium dial was loose with the watch. As well as the original 1958 guarantee cert, there was a 1960s service receipt, probably from the service at which the dial was swapped over. All this is not to say that there aren't some very late 6610s which were fitted with this T SWISS T dial when first sold, but this isn't one of them...

Best,
Ian.
is this it?

I did buy it off a guy called Paul Harrison.

---Perpetual Knowledge---
-Perpetual Knowledge-

March 5th, 2012, 4:00 pm #9

Best,
Ian.
...that Rolex were actively swapping out "old lume" dials during routine service, in this case probably in the early 60s when there would be no other reason to swap out the dial, i.e. the dial was only 5-8 years old. It also makes sense with regards to the fonts of the dial that it is later with that 1962-3 Round Bottom coronet.
The main reason Rolex would do this would be due to concerns over the luminous material of the dial, IMO, and I also imagine this may have been SOP for them.
Thanks again for your insight, Ian, and all the best,
Tom