Vintage Rolex Discussion

6542 crystal retaining ring question..

unionspecial
VRF Member
unionspecial
VRF Member

May 4th, 2012, 11:13 pm #1

Hi VRF-

Wondering if someone can answer a few questions for me..

I spotted a 6542 that I am interested in that would be a small project. I am trying to figure out big this small project might end up being.

The mid-case, case-back, dial, movement/date wheel and gilt handset with a white seconds hand all look original and correct, but the metal bezel and insert look like they are from a 70s 1675. The correct bezel for the bakelite/ early metal insert would be a plated alloy bezel with a tension spring like a 5508 bezel, so I am assuming that the correct retaining ring is also like the 5508 style too. Is that right?

I am assuming that the retaining ring on the watch is wrong. That being said, are the retaining rings from a 1675 and 6542 the same inner diameter? The watch is fitted with a non-cyclops tropic, so I'm not even sure if its the correct tropic crystal for a 6542, or retro-fitted with something else.

Can anyone shed some light onto the compatibility of 1675-6542 tropics, retaining rings and bezels?

Any insight greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Glenn

HammerHammer
VRF Member
HammerHammer
VRF Member

May 5th, 2012, 4:29 am #2

The retaining ring besides diameter must be a match for the bezel or it won't snap on right , the HEIGHT of the retaining ring must be compatible with the bezel ? Im prolly wrong but the few I have worked on ive seen different height retaining rings and some bezels will snap on and other series won't ? Really mate I'm just guessing and thought to throw that out , any real help I'm sure will follow from the valued experts we have here , that was all I could think to mention again fwiw

shairan
VRF Member
shairan
VRF Member

May 5th, 2012, 6:24 am #3

Hammer is right in highlighting the things to look out for. I have not measured the relative size of the retaining rings for 1675 vs 6542. I am purely guessing that they are not interchangeable because the latter is simply a plain ol' simple ring. 1675 retaining ring is a 2 step with a kind of a flange or wide flat foot. My guess is that the width of the foot will interfere with the bezel of 6542. This is simply guess from a non expert, so do take it with 2 metric ton of salt. Good luck with your project if you decide to embark on it. p/s - I have sent you via email photos of the retaining ring coz I havent got them on photobucket.

GMTKiwi
VRF Member
GMTKiwi
VRF Member

May 5th, 2012, 9:05 am #4

Hi VRF-

I spotted a 6542 that I am interested in that would be a small project. I am trying to figure out big this small project might end up being.

The mid-case, case-back, dial, movement/date wheel and gilt handset with a white seconds hand all look original and correct, but the metal bezel and insert look like they are from a 70s 1675. The correct bezel for the bakelite/ early metal insert would be a plated alloy bezel with a tension spring like a 5508 bezel, so I am assuming that the correct retaining ring is also like the 5508 style too. Is that right?

I am assuming that the retaining ring on the watch is wrong. That being said, are the retaining rings from a 1675 and 6542 the same inner diameter? The watch is fitted with a non-cyclops tropic, so I'm not even sure if its the correct tropic crystal for a 6542, or retro-fitted with something else.

Can anyone shed some light onto the compatibility of 1675-6542 tropics, retaining rings and bezels?

Thanks,
Glenn
Hey Glenn

I would have sold you this 6542 - could have been a fine addition to your tropical collection LOL.

[/IMG]

If it helps, here's some info. posted by the great Orchi last year when I was looking at options that would allow me to store away my 6542 bakelite but still use the watch.

Buddy Paul..Entire Bakelite Insert/Bezel Assembly is unique on its own..++ November 4 2011, 12:23 AM

Err...if you take off the Bakelite insert(with TLC)...
any 1675 bezel insert WON'T fit into the Bezel Ring(meant for Bakelite)...

IF you want to put away the Bakelite...
you have to take off the entire Bakelite Bezel assembly...
including the Plexi ring n wire spring...

1st you need to get the entirely different set of 6542 Steel Bezel Assembly...
comprising of the Metal alloy insert(similar to 1675 only)...
Steel Bezel Ring...spring n Plexi retaining ring...

You may also need to change to using Cyclope #116(same as 1675)...
instead of Cyclope #115(6542)...

Buddy John Buckley should be able to get you the correct set of Steel Bezel assembly...or RSC service replacement Steel Bezel assembly...
for your 6542 GMT...

He sold the exact set to Orchi few years ago...
without any problem...
These days if one is available...it should be cheaper by now.

Best regards
Orchi.
Last edited by GMTKiwi on May 5th, 2012, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

unionspecial
VRF Member
unionspecial
VRF Member

May 5th, 2012, 1:18 pm #5

Hi VRF-

Thanks,
Glenn
Thanks for the responses and emails guys, very helpful!!