6542 Bakelite - More expert advice needed - please !

Vintage Rolex Discussion

6542 Bakelite - More expert advice needed - please !

October 6th, 2011, 3:55 pm #1

Hi All,

I recently purchased what I thought was an original 6542 Bakelite bezel & insert. However after 'proudly' displaying it on VRF, it received several negative comments resulting in my returning it to the seller (who accepted it back with good grace, but continued to insist that it was original).

I've now tracked down another.

This seems to be in exceptional condition without any perceivable cracks etc. Consequently it's a pretty expensive purchase - so I can't afford to make a mistake.

There is no natural (radium) glow to the lume, but it does glow for a very short period of time (60 seconds max) when 'charged' from a strong light source.

I am aware that there are several VRF members who have enormous expertise in this field and hopefully they may have the time to offer their valuable opinion.

I also realize that this subject has been 'done to death' so I hope that my request for help will be looked upon sympathetically.

Thanks in advance.

October 6th, 2011, 4:00 pm #2

October 6th, 2011, 4:26 pm #3

Marcello - tears of joy or happyiness :) ??

October 6th, 2011, 5:12 pm #4

nt

October 6th, 2011, 7:34 pm #5

Hi All,

I recently purchased what I thought was an original 6542 Bakelite bezel & insert. However after 'proudly' displaying it on VRF, it received several negative comments resulting in my returning it to the seller (who accepted it back with good grace, but continued to insist that it was original).

This seems to be in exceptional condition without any perceivable cracks etc. Consequently it's a pretty expensive purchase - so I can't afford to make a mistake.

There is no natural (radium) glow to the lume, but it does glow for a very short period of time (60 seconds max) when 'charged' from a strong light source.

I am aware that there are several VRF members who have enormous expertise in this field and hopefully they may have the time to offer their valuable opinion.

I also realize that this subject has been 'done to death' so I hope that my request for help will be looked upon sympathetically.

Thanks in advance.

I have similar aftermarket insert on my 6542 !

Morover is the bezel good ?

October 6th, 2011, 8:11 pm #6

October 6th, 2011, 8:27 pm #7

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

So far, it certainly seems fairly unanimous on VRF that this insert (and bezel?) is not 'correct'.

I guess I will need to return it for refund.

Strangely, before I took it, several Rolex 'afficionados' examined it and handled it - all thought it to be fine.

I thought I was safe - apparently not !!

October 7th, 2011, 2:07 am #8

Noiseboyuk
Noiseboyuk

October 7th, 2011, 9:58 am #9

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Unfortunately, whilst the replies all indicate that the insert is 'incorrect' there are no reasons why.

Whilst I am 'smitten' with the vintage Rolex 'bug', I am no expert and I wish to learn.

I am aware that bakelite inserts are heavily faked and so I limited my search for an 'original' from reliable and well respected Rolex collectors / dealers. Naturally, they continue to insist that both my first purchase (previous post) and this one are original.

Because they are honourable members of the vintage Rolex community, there is no problem with a refund, but I just wonder why there is such a difference of opinion.

I would be grateful for any further guidance on the matter of these bezel inserts.

Thanks.

October 7th, 2011, 12:23 pm #10

it took me less than a second to see that the insert is incorrect, if somebody has sold you that claiming it is original they are either stupid or more likely, trying to pull a fast one.

This subject has a long history on VRF and a 1 minute search through the archves will hopefully make everything clear to you.

KT