6538 Questions

7:47 PM - Jul 21, 2014 #1

Had a friend stop by today with his dad's old submariner just to have it looked at by me since he knows I'm into watches. He had done some research on it but I decided to take a look at it as well. Looks pretty accurate for a 6538 Big Crown. My question is from where to go from here? It's running still and appears to be keeping good time, however there are some cosmetic issues with it. Should it be restored? Who should restore it? If it should be restored what would you estimate the cost? Of course here are some pics:

unionspecial
VRF Member
unionspecial
VRF Member

8:00 PM - Jul 21, 2014 #2

That watch is about as good as it gets. Don't touch a thing on it. It's in original and untouched condition, which is exactly what a collector wants. The watch is a find of a lifetime, and extremely valuable. Don't do anything rash with it. If you need a mechanical service, Bob Ridley or ABC would be your best bets in the US.
Congrats on a fantastic watch!

Good luck!

PS- if you don't have an accurate appraisal and insurance for this watch, I'd advise your friend to put in in a safety deposit box until he figures out what he's doing with it.

(edit for spelling of Bob's name)
Last edited by unionspecial on 8:45 PM - Jul 21, 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Linesiders
VRF Member
Linesiders
VRF Member

8:18 PM - Jul 21, 2014 #3

Had a friend stop by today with his dad's old submariner just to have it looked at by me since he knows I'm into watches. He had done some research on it but I decided to take a look at it as well. Looks pretty accurate for a 6538 Big Crown. My question is from where to go from here? It's running still and appears to be keeping good time, however there are some cosmetic issues with it. Should it be restored? Who should restore it? If it should be restored what would you estimate the cost? Of course here are some pics:

Service the movement, new seals, as light a cleaning you can. Less is more.

8:22 PM - Jul 21, 2014 #4

I would not do anything to it. Does he intend to sell it or keep it?

Either way this is a stunner.

8:30 PM - Jul 21, 2014 #5

and its bob ridley with regards to service etc, sorry to correct glenn

8:38 PM - Jul 21, 2014 #6

This is a beauty!!
I would highly recommend Bob Ridley...he is a master and handles all my restorations. Dont replace anything that doesn't need to be replaced. Clean, oil and keep it simple.

custom-metal
VRF Member
custom-metal
VRF Member

9:07 PM - Jul 21, 2014 #7

leave it as it is, it is a beauty........

Greatgatsby
VRF Member

9:17 AM - Jul 22, 2014 #8

This is by far one of the nicest BC i have seen so far -- please leave it exactly as it is, what a watch !!!!!

Huge congrats !!
Werner

darkner-imperator
VRF Member

12:03 PM - Jul 22, 2014 #9

nt

marineboy65
VRF Member
marineboy65
VRF Member

1:26 PM - Jul 22, 2014 #10

Gorgeous - he'll be hounded to sell it!