5512 Insight

Vintage Rolex Discussion

5512 Insight

April 6th, 2012, 9:12 pm #1

Hello all on VRF. This is my first post and I'm hoping to get a bit of insight from the experts. I recently purchased my first vintage (ref. 5512 154xxxx) and was looking for some clarification. The dial is a matte, four line, meters first, with tritium markers (depth rating and SUBMARINER in bolder font). Due to it's condition, I'm assuming it's a service replacement but hoping someone can shed some light on this. I'm also assuming my band (93150 w/580 end pieces), and bezel are service replacements as well (thinner font). I also have a box but don't know if it's original to the watch. Can someone tell me if it's age/model appropriate? I'm quite computer illiterate, and as such, have had no luck uploading photos to the site. Here's a link for those who might replyhttp://s1166.photobucket.com/albums/q617/premoto1/. Thank you all in advance. I think this is a great sight and look forward to becoming a contributing member.

April 7th, 2012, 4:35 pm #2

...and earliest series matte dial as they began to replace the gilt versions circa 1966.
Obviously, it is not possible to say without certainty that it is the one original installed in the watch but it very well could be.
The rest would be as you surmise--later bracelet, later bezel insert (but still apparently Tritium pearl). Can't tell about the hands--they look very "fresh" but there is not enough color contrast in the pix to draw any real conclusions there. They could be matching originals in good shape for all I can see.
I would think that box would be a mid-late 60s version but that is not my area of expertise, so hopefully one of the ephemera experts will chime in on that.
For me, this is a nice early matte dial 5512, not very common, and if you get yourself a fat font insert the watch will be even better, although there is nothing particularly wrong with the one currently installed. A rivet 7206 with 80 ends (or 20mm USA rivet Oyster) is also nice to have for "period correct" reasons...but a 93150 is eminently more comfortable.
Good luck & welcome,
Tom

April 8th, 2012, 3:28 am #3

Thanks for the info Tom. I greatly appreciate it.