1966 5513 Gilt Bart --- Advise on Purchase & Price

Vintage Rolex Discussion

1966 5513 Gilt Bart --- Advise on Purchase & Price

JG
JG

August 9th, 2012, 2:54 am #1

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1966 5513 Gilt Bart in good shape with original dial, hands, lume etc ..... Dial looks nice and glossy. The only thing that is not original is the triple-lock crown which was placed on the watch during regular rolex service. I can get it for around 9k. Good price? Is the crown a dealbreaker? Would you switch it back to twin-lock?

Thx,

JG

???
???

August 9th, 2012, 4:35 am #2

How about the case, the lugs, the case back? is it matching?. Any bracelet with it? Accessories?

the t-lock crown is the least of your concern.

August 9th, 2012, 5:24 am #3

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1966 5513 Gilt Bart in good shape with original dial, hands, lume etc ..... Dial looks nice and glossy. The only thing that is not original is the triple-lock crown which was placed on the watch during regular rolex service. I can get it for around 9k. Good price? Is the crown a dealbreaker? Would you switch it back to twin-lock?

Thx,

JG
and what currency might help ? ....as would condition photos ...you can buy a bart for $5k ...you can buy one for $11k .......

August 9th, 2012, 5:30 am #4

Currency is USD.

August 9th, 2012, 5:39 am #5

here it is! What do you think?

August 9th, 2012, 5:47 am #6

Currency is USD.
a picture across the dial at an angle so you can properly check for scratches and marks and asses the condition of the dial...

that head on super high exposure shot could hide a multitude of sins ....

August 9th, 2012, 5:47 am #7

here it is! What do you think?
sorry. here it is:

August 9th, 2012, 6:07 am #8

a picture across the dial at an angle so you can properly check for scratches and marks and asses the condition of the dial...

that head on super high exposure shot could hide a multitude of sins ....
2 Scans showing both sets of lugs looking in and serial / ref fonts , then also flat side view of crown guard ?

Fwiw I always ask for a ruler to be placed horizontal to the lugs so you can measure roughly the thickness of each lug ?

Looking to see that all four lugs are even and assess any loss of metal structure , same with crown guards make sue both are even and again look for structure loss , the crown is easy , if you want to return to the twin lock u just buy a tube and crown the only thing to remember when fitting the tube on a twin is that u should use the correct tool to remove the fitment tabs (or do by hand I'm sure there is a technical term for that but buggered if I know)

Tube and Crown as EASY , replacing metal structure loss is not , and viewing the dial from different angles is criticle as the real beauty of that watch is the dial , there is most of the value so really get better scans , so easy to hide dried moisture dots , scratches blemishes etc ...

Just my humble thoughts fwiw , mileage will vary

Anyways good luck on your hunt , the Bart's are über KOOL