18k oyster rivet bracelet. How does one remove links?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

18k oyster rivet bracelet. How does one remove links?

February 28th, 2018, 6:41 pm #1

Hi all

looking at a midsize datejust in 18k with rivet oyster bracelet. It has all 13 links and will no doubt be too large for my wife's thin wrist.

I don't see any screws though. How does one remove a couple of links?

Thanks !

March 1st, 2018, 8:26 pm #2

Intact 18k oysters are so rare, most have been resized already it seems. Maybe do a WTT for a short one and get some cash as well. Once they're torn down it's so difficult to make them right again.

March 1st, 2018, 9:05 pm #3

Hi all

looking at a midsize datejust in 18k with rivet oyster bracelet. It has all 13 links and will no doubt be too large for my wife's thin wrist.

Thanks !
Some have pins you drive out, some are riveted so you file the rivet off, remove and replace pin, and make a new rivet. Pins and rivets are available still from Rolex, but you need someone who's experience with vintage. Or have it sent to Rolex for resizing.

March 6th, 2018, 4:45 pm #4

Hi all

Thanks !
reminds me of a story from about 10 years ago. I bought my (ex) wife a beautiful 67188 (kinda rose gold) with a perfect full length riveted bracelet. Well, it was way too long for her. Went to a local Rolex dealer, asked them to remove 2 links, they said "Sure, but we charge $50 for the service" - sure! Just get it done. 5 min later they come back out and tell me "... this thing has no pins, we don't know to size it ..." Knowing that ahead of time, I had a good chuckle and went to my jeweler. Yes, it would be hard to put it back together, but it is possible.

Vlad