18k oyster rivet bracelet. How does one remove links?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

18k oyster rivet bracelet. How does one remove links?

Ashil
VRF Member
Ashil
VRF Member

February 28th, 2018, 6:41 pm #1

Hi all

looking at a midsize datejust in 18k with rivet oyster bracelet. It has all 13 links and will no doubt be too large for my wife's thin wrist.

I don't see any screws though. How does one remove a couple of links?

Thanks !

March 1st, 2018, 8:26 pm #2

Intact 18k oysters are so rare, most have been resized already it seems. Maybe do a WTT for a short one and get some cash as well. Once they're torn down it's so difficult to make them right again.

March 1st, 2018, 9:05 pm #3

Hi all

looking at a midsize datejust in 18k with rivet oyster bracelet. It has all 13 links and will no doubt be too large for my wife's thin wrist.

Thanks !
Some have pins you drive out, some are riveted so you file the rivet off, remove and replace pin, and make a new rivet. Pins and rivets are available still from Rolex, but you need someone who's experience with vintage. Or have it sent to Rolex for resizing.

oldempirellc
VRF Member

March 6th, 2018, 4:45 pm #4

Hi all

Thanks !
reminds me of a story from about 10 years ago. I bought my (ex) wife a beautiful 67188 (kinda rose gold) with a perfect full length riveted bracelet. Well, it was way too long for her. Went to a local Rolex dealer, asked them to remove 2 links, they said "Sure, but we charge $50 for the service" - sure! Just get it done. 5 min later they come back out and tell me "... this thing has no pins, we don't know to size it ..." Knowing that ahead of time, I had a good chuckle and went to my jeweler. Yes, it would be hard to put it back together, but it is possible.

Vlad