1803 WG questions

Vintage Rolex Discussion

1803 WG questions

April 21st, 2012, 10:39 am #1

Hello VRF friends,

I have a couple of questions to the experts.

Are the vintage 1803 WG rhodium plated or not?

If yes, can they be re plated without any problems?

Does anyone know if the content of Nickel is high?

Thanks and have a great weekend!

-Frederik
Last edited by fantastictime on April 21st, 2012, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 21st, 2012, 11:43 am #2

that 1803's were rohdium coated for an extra brilliant shine.

I also use two ex-Rolex watchmakers here in Bangkok who say they were coated for sure. Also if you take a yellowed WG for a Rolex service they will offer to re-plate.

I have also seen WG bracelets (not mine) brushed back before recoating and were yellowish, but more recently >>>

I bought one that has never been serviced: Centre watch.

Take a look at the scans of the centre watch where the rhodium is wearing off and compare the colour to the two outer watches that do have multiple service marks and make your own opinion.

besties,

Steve

April 21st, 2012, 12:02 pm #3

Steve, Thanks for the detailed reply

I assume a RSC can replate if necessary?

What is the current market price of a nice 1803 WG with strap (no B+P)?

thanks,
Frederik

April 21st, 2012, 12:47 pm #4

I like the yellowed look, but can get it done here (not by Rolex) for peanuts and just a few days wait: I once had a whole 18039 done and it came out mint.

I have no idea how to go about doing it with Rolex as i've never used them for anything.

As for prices, well,,,,,, I personally wouldn't touch a concealed bracelet with a barge pole in white or yellow as they don't have the vintage look I want from one of these. You can (if it's really nice) make an exception for rose or pink as these did not follow on into the sapphire models until a couple of decades later: This is just my own thinking/standard of course and there are those who will accept and like things that I will not.

As for prices, white foldy clasp bracelets are so extremely very difficult to find and are worth as much as the individual collector is prepared to pay on the day. For that reason I am afraid I cannot share my opinion on value as I am still searching for another 3 and obviously do not want to screw myself to the world by letting them know what I would pay.

If you're not an insane purist, my advice is buy a nice single quick and full 18039. You can get a real nice spanker for $12K and you wont have to do all the messing around, hunting and heartache that goes with bloody plastic models and the parts finding that goes with it.

hope this helps,

Steve

April 21st, 2012, 1:37 pm #5

Always a pleasure to read your posts. nt

April 21st, 2012, 8:28 pm #6

I like the yellowed look, but can get it done here (not by Rolex) for peanuts and just a few days wait: I once had a whole 18039 done and it came out mint.

I have no idea how to go about doing it with Rolex as i've never used them for anything.

As for prices, well,,,,,, I personally wouldn't touch a concealed bracelet with a barge pole in white or yellow as they don't have the vintage look I want from one of these. You can (if it's really nice) make an exception for rose or pink as these did not follow on into the sapphire models until a couple of decades later: This is just my own thinking/standard of course and there are those who will accept and like things that I will not.

As for prices, white foldy clasp bracelets are so extremely very difficult to find and are worth as much as the individual collector is prepared to pay on the day. For that reason I am afraid I cannot share my opinion on value as I am still searching for another 3 and obviously do not want to screw myself to the world by letting them know what I would pay.

If you're not an insane purist, my advice is buy a nice single quick and full 18039. You can get a real nice spanker for $12K and you wont have to do all the messing around, hunting and heartache that goes with bloody plastic models and the parts finding that goes with it.

hope this helps,

Steve
Thanks again Steve, very helpful indeed.

Actually re. pricing I was asking for 1803 head only with strap as I am not interested in the bracelet (too much bling bling for me).

Is it becoming difficult to source parts for the 1803 (plexiglass, parts for movement etc)?

Thanks
Frederik

April 22nd, 2012, 1:48 am #7

A lot will depend on the dial style and the condition of the case.

Insist on a nice cases with big fat lugs and try and get a dial slightly out of the ordinary. For me every DD should have a (USP) unique selling point. The more USP's you can combine together the more enjoyment and special it will feel on your wrist.

I don't know if I am allowed to do this but Ben seems to have a nice one for sale in VRM with an unusual textured dial, it also has a sigma designation which he fails to mention so may not have noticed

Ben is a reliable seller and although the watch isn't a thieves bargain it is definitely not over priced either - especially as people are now taking interest in them are most likely to start with a WG which were only made 1:20+ in relation to YG.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/m ... te+w-strap

Servicing them shouldn't be any problem.

Steve

April 22nd, 2012, 7:08 am #8

Steve, thanks. You are the man!

I did look at the watch Ben have FS but I am not 100% sure the dial is my taste. I prefer silver, grey maybe slate or charcoal grey (maybe too ordinary?).

What does "sigma designation" mean?

br
Frederik

April 22nd, 2012, 7:11 am #9

Also, what do you think about this dial and case?

http://www.worldoftime.de/de/rolex.vint ... -8012.html

The dial doesnt have Tritium dots, isnt that strange?

Thanks again
Frederik

April 22nd, 2012, 7:39 am #10

I've only ever bought nice stuff from Ralf btw.

That is a non-trit dial and has the correct matching non-trit hands. This makes for a very clean and polished more desirable look.

The watch has been serviced and has had a correct (two dot) Rolex replacement WG crown fitted also. Unlike when they were fitted new Rolex do not for some reason rhodium plate these replacement crowns, so again, take a look at the natural colour of an un-plated WG part against the WG plated case and you can clearly see the colour difference.

This is a very nice example:

Steve