114060 endurance test... someone has to do it ;-)

Vintage Rolex Discussion

114060 endurance test... someone has to do it ;-)

August 2nd, 2012, 10:57 am #1

Well, someone has to do it. It's a hard life as blogger. Getting a new tool-watch. And then sitting here at home... testing. It just does not work. So you have to leave and test the watch to what nature and man have to offer... in name of watch-science.
A 2 weeks endurance test...

[/IMG]

Well you see at home it was 16 degrees and just some rain. So as a cool tool-watch a Submariner needs to find other challenges in a decent test. Sand, heat, sun, water, rocks,... tool-watch life. And as a Rolex also some style and class to see if it can match the quality of the old Rolex and Bond in a suite... etc. You know those images from the past. So here we go...

First i want to show you some images of the research environment....

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

What makes this challenge so special for me.. is that this is the first time i had to do with 1 watch for more then 2 weeks! Even with the last trip with the Heritage Chrono i also had the blue GMT with me. And swapped day by day. Now the watch had to stay all those day's... day and night... and it succeeded great. It did not bore me.

And because of the great clasp construction it was easy to change between left and right wrist sooo easy. 3 second swap which makes it fun!

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Here are some images of the homebase of the test.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

So let's put it into the pool test first. And this is one of the coolest looks a Submariner can have... under water. When inside of the case/dial becomes so fat. Such cool effect... look at the changing looks.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

On the beach...

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

But of course you must be able to wear it dressed and at a restaurant.. and it still must fit the style. It does!
At a cool lounge bar...

[/IMG]

Or old town Pollensa ... during dinner. La Fonda restaurant.. one of the best there. You should enjoy it one day.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

And of course deep under water.. as it is a Sub. So i did put all my fears aside and went down under water... about 17 mtr. At Formator Island. No images down below.. sorry. I wish i had the gear for that...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

By the way.. anyone up for a new home / kind of island.... as i was told the woener was offered 40.000.000;- for this place and declined. So for the people with really deep pockets.. go for it ! You get the firehouse with it. All of what you see is yours...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

And a lot of snorkling... this time at our neighbours place... in Cala Pi.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

This is the view close to their home... and just near by. For rent.. 1500 euro a day oeps.... i did something wrong in life?

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Again the test with some good dinner, style and food...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I have to admit it was not easy. And actually... Rolex should sponsor me to take such harsh challenges. But it was a pleasure to do. The 114060 sub is an amazing watch. I still like it a lot.
It will not change my passion for vintage watches. And when i came home i needed to put a vintage Sub on my wrist. But funny enough.. the next day i put the 114060 back on. It really feels well on the wrist.

Well done Rolex!

I wish you all a great holiday season!!!!

August 2nd, 2012, 11:16 am #2

I am surprised it passed the 2-week-1-watch test!! most of my watches fail that test!!!

August 2nd, 2012, 11:48 am #3

Well, someone has to do it. It's a hard life as blogger. Getting a new tool-watch. And then sitting here at home... testing. It just does not work. So you have to leave and test the watch to what nature and man have to offer... in name of watch-science.

[/IMG]

Well you see at home it was 16 degrees and just some rain. So as a cool tool-watch a Submariner needs to find other challenges in a decent test. Sand, heat, sun, water, rocks,... tool-watch life. And as a Rolex also some style and class to see if it can match the quality of the old Rolex and Bond in a suite... etc. You know those images from the past. So here we go...

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

What makes this challenge so special for me.. is that this is the first time i had to do with 1 watch for more then 2 weeks! Even with the last trip with the Heritage Chrono i also had the blue GMT with me. And swapped day by day. Now the watch had to stay all those day's... day and night... and it succeeded great. It did not bore me.

And because of the great clasp construction it was easy to change between left and right wrist sooo easy. 3 second swap which makes it fun!

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

So let's put it into the pool test first. And this is one of the coolest looks a Submariner can have... under water. When inside of the case/dial becomes so fat. Such cool effect... look at the changing looks.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

On the beach...

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

But of course you must be able to wear it dressed and at a restaurant.. and it still must fit the style. It does!
At a cool lounge bar...

[/IMG]

Or old town Pollensa ... during dinner. La Fonda restaurant.. one of the best there. You should enjoy it one day.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

And of course deep under water.. as it is a Sub. So i did put all my fears aside and went down under water... about 17 mtr. At Formator Island. No images down below.. sorry. I wish i had the gear for that...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

By the way.. anyone up for a new home / kind of island.... as i was told the woener was offered 40.000.000;- for this place and declined. So for the people with really deep pockets.. go for it ! You get the firehouse with it. All of what you see is yours...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

This is the view close to their home... and just near by. For rent.. 1500 euro a day oeps.... i did something wrong in life?

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I have to admit it was not easy. And actually... Rolex should sponsor me to take such harsh challenges. But it was a pleasure to do. The 114060 sub is an amazing watch. I still like it a lot.
It will not change my passion for vintage watches. And when i came home i needed to put a vintage Sub on my wrist. But funny enough.. the next day i put the 114060 back on. It really feels well on the wrist.

Well done Rolex!

Looks like it was really hard work!

...Glad you had a nice holiday though....you needed it!

The sub looks great- I've been enjoying my 116610 as my daily wearer...they grow on you the more you wear 'em!

My turn for hols next

Cheers,

Nick.

August 2nd, 2012, 11:59 am #4

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

On the beach...

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

At a cool lounge bar...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Well done Rolex!

Danke schon B for sharing the trip - succelent seafood! Cheers! NT

August 2nd, 2012, 12:02 pm #5

Looks like it was really hard work!

...Glad you had a nice holiday though....you needed it!

The sub looks great- I've been enjoying my 116610 as my daily wearer...they grow on you the more you wear 'em!

My turn for hols next

Cheers,

Nick.
especially the photos of the foods. looks like a very nice holiday you had!

i never wore the same watch more than 2 weeks neither. from looking at the photos, i can understand how you can forget what is on his watch! so much fun there

regards
T

August 2nd, 2012, 12:49 pm #6

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

On the beach...

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

At a cool lounge bar...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Well done Rolex!

Especially the first shots of those beaches? I can't identify the spot but I'd love to know where it is to conduct some tests of my own!

August 2nd, 2012, 12:59 pm #7

The North East of Mallorca..
We stayed just outside the town of Pollensa..

http://www.google.nl/search?q=pollensa+ ... 71&bih=916

Beaches like Cala st. Vincente

http://www.majorca-mallorca.co.uk/cala_san_vincente.htm

Beach of Formentor

http://www.seemallorca.com/sea/beach/ca ... lorca.html

Alcudia beach

http://www.mallorca-beaches.com/alcudia_beach.htm

August 2nd, 2012, 2:19 pm #8

......road biking up to Lluc!

August 2nd, 2012, 2:25 pm #9

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

On the beach...

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

At a cool lounge bar...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Well done Rolex!

I had no idea a Rolex could stand so much beating and hard conditions. Extrodinary! We are all grateful for the great sacrifice you made!

The pictures look fantastic! What a great vacation!!! Thanks for sharing Bernhard.

Jan

August 2nd, 2012, 2:33 pm #10

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

On the beach...

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

At a cool lounge bar...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Well done Rolex!

I kid you not.

We'll have feet in the pool near Pollensa by 11am tomorrow. Been going there for 20 years and my wife has been going there for over 40! I even have a table booked at La Fonda early next week.

Although I can assure you...there's no way I'm putting any watch of mine through such a punishing series of tests!