1016 gilt dial Explorer - any experts?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

1016 gilt dial Explorer - any experts?

June 17th, 2012, 5:38 pm #1

Im trying to find out a bit more about my 1964 1016 Exp I. I bought it about 18mths ago but have managed to find out relatively little about it. Thought this might be a good place to start!

I've had a read around the forum and there's a fair bit on here. But can anyone add any more?

It has a gilt dial with a closed minute track and a dot at 6 on the dial (Ive seen a couple of 1016s where thats been mentioned as important). Inside is a 1560 movement.

(Thanks to Martyn for the movement pic!)

The history of 1016s is pretty convoluted and, although Ive done a fair bit of reading up (mostly Skeet & UrülIs splendid book) I cant find out a great deal about gilt dial 1016s.

The dials are remarkable. The gloss to them reminds me of the paintwork on a well-loved vintage Bentley.

Does anyone know much about these or have a web source I can look at?

I dont wear this one as much as I should, but its time it made a few more excursions from the watch box!

Thanks!

Mark

June 17th, 2012, 9:21 pm #2

very nice and rare with dot at 6!
compliment for a start!
lorenzo

June 17th, 2012, 10:47 pm #3

Lorenzo, where have you been ?!?! welcome back ! (nt)

June 17th, 2012, 11:40 pm #4

Im trying to find out a bit more about my 1964 1016 Exp I. I bought it about 18mths ago but have managed to find out relatively little about it. Thought this might be a good place to start!

I've had a read around the forum and there's a fair bit on here. But can anyone add any more?

It has a gilt dial with a closed minute track and a dot at 6 on the dial (Ive seen a couple of 1016s where thats been mentioned as important). Inside is a 1560 movement.

(Thanks to Martyn for the movement pic!)

The history of 1016s is pretty convoluted and, although Ive done a fair bit of reading up (mostly Skeet & UrülIs splendid book) I cant find out a great deal about gilt dial 1016s.

The dials are remarkable. The gloss to them reminds me of the paintwork on a well-loved vintage Bentley.

Does anyone know much about these or have a web source I can look at?

I dont wear this one as much as I should, but its time it made a few more excursions from the watch box!

Thanks!

Mark
... I would think more like 61-62 and maybe 63 for this dial (closed minute track, SWISS-only, Ex Point). Obviously, some overlap is possible but by 64 I would normally expect some sort of T-25 markings.
I would also say that the rotor would have been of the Butterfly variety originally, although it is by no means uncommon for this to have been replaced at service with the standard cal. 15xx rotor through the decades.
Some have a theory that the Ex Point signifies Rolex's first signal of the transition to a "safe luminous" compound--i.e. not radium and not Strontium-90 and not too highly radioactive.
Other than that, this looks like a classic early 1016 with correct cal. 1560 and very nice minute track dial--enjoy!
Best,
T.

June 18th, 2012, 7:53 am #5

Thank you Tom, Lorenzo. I'm rather fond of it too!

I did wonder if the rotor had been replaced - makes sense. I had no idea about the 'safe lume' notion of the exclamation point though. I'll do some more reading! The one thing I've realised a while ago is that one never stops learning about these watches.

The serial of mine is 1064677 - does that work with the putative '64 date?

Thanks again!

Mark

June 18th, 2012, 9:04 am #6

Lorenzo, where have you been ?!?! welcome back ! (nt)
..but always looking for babies!
lorenzo

June 19th, 2012, 12:10 am #7

Thank you Tom, Lorenzo. I'm rather fond of it too!

I did wonder if the rotor had been replaced - makes sense. I had no idea about the 'safe lume' notion of the exclamation point though. I'll do some more reading! The one thing I've realised a while ago is that one never stops learning about these watches.

The serial of mine is 1064677 - does that work with the putative '64 date?

Thanks again!

Mark
...so perhaps just a holdover from a year or so before.
Wouldn't be the first time that happened with Rolex.
Enjoy & best,
T.

June 19th, 2012, 6:13 pm #8

Thanks Tom - set my mind at rest! I shall carry on enjoying it - it's on my wrist as I type!