Rusty Crawford Autographed Stick - Value?

Rusty Crawford Autographed Stick - Value?

February 13th, 2012, 5:34 am #1

Hey folks. I have two old sticks autographed by HOFer Rusty Crawford. He was from the same area as my family and was friends with my grandfather. One of the sticks has only his autograph - no other distinguishing marks or info on the stick except two green bands across the bottom of the shaft. The other one was signed by several other people in addition to Rusty - never got the story behind it (maybe a local fundraiser as I don't recognize any of the other names as pro hockey players). This stick has similar dual green bands and a "Maple Leaf 'Special'" stamp on it and the words "SELECTED TUFGRAIN BLADE - MADE IN CANADA" on the blade.

Any notion if this stuff is valuable? I could upload pictures if it would be helpful.

February 13th, 2012, 4:03 pm #2

I would like to see pictures, if possible.

The only Crawford autograph I have seen went for about $200 from Classic a few years ago, though I paid more for mine through a private transaction. I have seen a few others, but they are all on index/vellum cards or cuts.

February 13th, 2012, 7:41 pm #3

Hey folks. I have two old sticks autographed by HOFer Rusty Crawford. He was from the same area as my family and was friends with my grandfather. One of the sticks has only his autograph - no other distinguishing marks or info on the stick except two green bands across the bottom of the shaft. The other one was signed by several other people in addition to Rusty - never got the story behind it (maybe a local fundraiser as I don't recognize any of the other names as pro hockey players). This stick has similar dual green bands and a "Maple Leaf 'Special'" stamp on it and the words "SELECTED TUFGRAIN BLADE - MADE IN CANADA" on the blade.

Any notion if this stuff is valuable? I could upload pictures if it would be helpful.

Here's a shot of the one stick that is autographed only by Crawford. It's in good shape, but I can't say that I know much about it beyond that.... No idea if it was played with. It seems like an old stick (all wood, straight blade).

One of those disreputable wiki answer sites estimated the value at up to $5000 USD, and as much as I'd like to believe that it seems like it was: 1) a wild guess, and 2) assuming a lot about the stick (game stick, etc.).

Thoughts?

February 13th, 2012, 9:36 pm #4

I don't collect auto's but, it looks like it was signed with a black sharpie, which seems odd considering he passed away in 1971. Also that's one really strange looking "C" ~ maybe it's just me ~ but does it not also seem like it's missing the "R" in Crawford ??, maybe it's just the way he signed it ~ but it does look odd.

I'm skeptical the stick and auto are the real deal, but i'll let the auto experts chime in ..........

February 13th, 2012, 10:21 pm #5

Crawford didn't have the greatest handwriting, but the marker/sharpie that it was signed with does seem a bit strange to me. Here are two Crawford autographs for comparison.

February 14th, 2012, 2:53 am #6

I have no doubt that the signature is real. I'm from the same town as Crawford - my grandfather knew him and had these signed by him. He gave them to me before he passed away.

Yes, it looks like felt pen, and that is in keeping with my assumption that the stick was signed toward the end of Crawford's life and has no connection to his playing career. Sharpies have been around since the 60's (thank you, wikipedia...).

So, is this kind of memoribilia still valuable having been signed long after Crawford's playing years...?

February 14th, 2012, 5:17 am #7

It has some value, but obviously not as much as it would if it was from his playing days or if it was an actual game used stick. Because it is not a game stick and probably not a stick that dates to his playing days, the autograph is the only draw. Since the value is in the autograph, and most autograph collectors would probably rather have an index card or something small as compared to a bulky stick, I would say it is probably worth in the $200-500 range.

March 25th, 2012, 4:33 pm #8

My Father-in-law is Rusty Crawford's great nephew. I have attached a few pictures from his hockey collection that was obtained when Rusty was inducted into the HOF. My Father-in-law witnessed Rusty signing his scrapbook when he was in Cardnal Ontario during his indiction ceremony. As you can see your autograph does not match his. He is questioning the authenticity of your items. Should you have any questions please feel free to contact him at rcsteel66@gmail.com and his name is Robert Crawford.

We are having problems attching the photos...if you send me your email address I will send them directly to you.

March 25th, 2012, 4:38 pm #9

How did you upload your pictures. I keep getting error messages.

March 25th, 2012, 8:06 pm #10

Sarah,

You have to upload the pictures to a program like photobucket.com and then add the link to your message. If you want, you can also send your pictures to SeanieB21@hotmail.com and I'll upload them.

Sean