Not a huge hockey card collector, but I found a little gem in the attic

Not a huge hockey card collector, but I found a little gem in the attic

June 19th, 2012, 2:29 am #1

So I'm not the worlds biggest hockey card collector; I'm more of a baseball card guy. However, I found a box in my attic that had a TON of hockey cards in it. I really have no clue about any vintage player other than gretzky (the cards range from the late 70's-early 90's). Id like to learn some of the names I should be looking out for. If anybody could help it'd be greatly appreciated and a cyber fist bump would be awarded. Not sure how the photos work on here, if I get around to figuring it out I'll post some pics

June 19th, 2012, 9:17 pm #2

Hi,

I would not consider those vintage, however a great find nonetheless. Hopefully these are OPC (O-Pee-Chee) cards and not Topps cards.

Some cards to look out for:
- Wayne Gretzky Rookie Card (1979-80 - blue border)
- 2nd Year Gretzky base card
- 3rd Year Gretzky base card
- Any of the 1986 Gretzky Cards
- Mark Messier Rookie Card
- Patrick Roy Rookie Card
- Mario Lemieux Rookie Card
- Grant Fuhr Rookie Card

Enjoy your find!

June 20th, 2012, 2:16 am #3

So I'm not the worlds biggest hockey card collector; I'm more of a baseball card guy. However, I found a box in my attic that had a TON of hockey cards in it. I really have no clue about any vintage player other than gretzky (the cards range from the late 70's-early 90's). Id like to learn some of the names I should be looking out for. If anybody could help it'd be greatly appreciated and a cyber fist bump would be awarded. Not sure how the photos work on here, if I get around to figuring it out I'll post some pics
Thanks, didn't see many cards from the 70's, and certainly no Gretzky rookies. What I've been told is that this box of cards was supposed to be a replacement for my dad when my grandmom sold all of his baseball cards. I'm guessing whoever sold thems son had the good sense to pull all of the extremely good cards out of there. I did find a rob park card that had an autograph, from what I've seen of autographed cards it seems legit. Other than that I have no idea. There are some O-Pee-Chees, but I think the most are Score cards.

Thanks for the help

June 20th, 2012, 9:21 pm #4

Not really worth the paper they are printed on!