My Day At 430 Adelaide St. OPC

My Day At 430 Adelaide St. OPC

March 14th, 2012, 11:04 pm #1

Hey Guys,

I arranged to meet a friend in London today and while I was there, I finally got some up to date pictures of the old O-Pee-Chee building at 430 Adelaide St. It is a loft now but still looks very similar. Such a nice building, great old architecturally designed building. A fun experience, hope you all get a chance to one day see it as probably some of you have.

Winter 1976

March 14th 2012

Front shot in the 1980's

Side View Today.

Got some kid walking by to take a picture, brought my old OPC Towel with the logo on it for posterity.

March 14th, 2012, 11:07 pm #2

Hey Bobby
Did you check the garbage bins to see if you can find some old O-Pee-Chee stuff LOL

March 15th, 2012, 12:07 am #3

Hey Guys,

I arranged to meet a friend in London today and while I was there, I finally got some up to date pictures of the old O-Pee-Chee building at 430 Adelaide St. It is a loft now but still looks very similar. Such a nice building, great old architecturally designed building. A fun experience, hope you all get a chance to one day see it as probably some of you have.

Winter 1976

March 14th 2012

Front shot in the 1980's

Side View Today.

Got some kid walking by to take a picture, brought my old OPC Towel with the logo on it for posterity.

I've heard stories from local dealers that the sheets(and maybe the presses) were kept in the basement and people would break the windows and steal stacks of sheets and boxes of cards all the time.

March 15th, 2012, 1:27 am #4

Hey Guys,

Winter 1976

March 14th 2012

Front shot in the 1980's

Side View Today.

Thanks for the pics Bobby ... especially the old ones!

March 15th, 2012, 1:43 am #5

Hey Guys,

Winter 1976

March 14th 2012

Front shot in the 1980's

Side View Today.

Thanks for posting this! Always enjoy seeing the "then and now" types of pictures, plus it puts a different perspective on the hobby that we never usually see or think about.

March 15th, 2012, 2:20 am #6

Hey Guys,

Winter 1976

March 14th 2012

Front shot in the 1980's

Side View Today.

I was 12 years old,visiting my cousins in Ailsa Craig, Ontario in January, 1980. Since we were making a day trip into nearby London, I ensured that we stopped by the O-Pee-Chee plant. Hoping for a tour, we were disappointed that tours were not offered. The secretary, seeing my disappointment, called in Gary Koreen, who I believe was the GM at the time. He presented my brother, my cousin and me each with an unopened box of that years hockey cards (1979-80!), a box of 'NHL Gum" (O-pee-Chee gum wrapped in waxed paper with NHL team logos), and we each received complete uncut sets of 1979-80 O-Pee-Chee hockey. An unforgettable day for me for sure. And I am thankful to Gary Koreen for his generosity to us on that day.

March 15th, 2012, 1:24 pm #7

Hey Guys,

Winter 1976

March 14th 2012

Front shot in the 1980's

Side View Today.

Great story Brian, I guess I will ask the question, did you keep all of the stuff Gary Koreen gave you. By that time Gary Koreen was the owner of OPC, he married the daughter of Frank Leahy who was the previous owner, Leahy died in 1980.
Last edited by BobbyBHockey on March 15th, 2012, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 15th, 2012, 2:02 pm #8

Hey Guys,

Winter 1976

March 14th 2012

Front shot in the 1980's

Side View Today.

Great story!!

March 15th, 2012, 3:28 pm #9

Hey Guys,

Winter 1976

March 14th 2012

Front shot in the 1980's

Side View Today.

Very nice story and great pictures.

I live in London and drive by that building everyday on my way to work.

March 15th, 2012, 3:36 pm #10

Hey Guys,

Winter 1976

March 14th 2012

Front shot in the 1980's

Side View Today.

Bobby. Great story and pics. Thanks.