HEADS UP NEW SCAM

HEADS UP NEW SCAM

March 29th, 2007, 11:46 am #1

There has been a few e-mails going around for some time asking you to log in so they can get your info now theres e-mails going around that look just like ebay and paypal there even include your first and last name I just got one from ebay that said that "if you do not reply asap feedback will be left and I will contact the FBI" It looks just like a message you would get from a other user when they ask you something using ebay's send a message you will find it in your e-mail box only not your my ebay page. By the way the guys user id they used on the scam e-mail was JACK635. Has anyone got any wired e-mails as of late?

frank

March 29th, 2007, 1:43 pm #2

Mine was basically the same except that the person accused someone from my ebay account of using his credit card illegally. I needed to contact him before charges would be filed. If in doubt, check your ebay message center. If it's not in there, it's more than likely not real. Just send it to spoof@ebay.com. I had to learn the hard way a few years back. I realized it the day of sending them my info. I had to check with Equifax, put a block on new lines of credit/loans, stop credit cards, etc.

March 29th, 2007, 6:35 pm #3

There has been a few e-mails going around for some time asking you to log in so they can get your info now theres e-mails going around that look just like ebay and paypal there even include your first and last name I just got one from ebay that said that "if you do not reply asap feedback will be left and I will contact the FBI" It looks just like a message you would get from a other user when they ask you something using ebay's send a message you will find it in your e-mail box only not your my ebay page. By the way the guys user id they used on the scam e-mail was JACK635. Has anyone got any wired e-mails as of late?

frank
Frank,

I just got the exact same email this afternoon. I have never had an email include my first and/or last name though. But they are getting very close to exact copies from eBay, Kinda scary :S. I tend to get about 3-5 each week, I just delete them, I always check my eBay inbox to see if theres any real emails.

Andrew

March 29th, 2007, 7:56 pm #4

frank
Here is one that I just received seconds ago. Link was removed so no one presses it by accident. Jim.

Hi there!

I am contacting you regarding the item you have listed on eBay. I am
currently the highest bidder on your isting but my main concern is that
someone contacted me with the same item pretending is you and told me
to buy from him, Let me know if it's your item:

If you are the seller, let me know how much shipping to 90210, CA and
if you are not, this guy is using your identity.

Thanks,

David

March 29th, 2007, 8:27 pm #5

frank
I get this stuff all the time. Sometimes it will look like mail from eBay saying that my account is suspended or from PayPal saying that my credit card has expired.

Other times I get messages from buyers who claim that they have not received an Ipod or other electronic device that I sold them. (Even though I don't sell any electronics on eBay.) Sometimes they will threaten to call the cops or contact eBay. I always just delete the email, then if I have any doubts I check My Messages on eBay.

These emails do look real, but I know that eBay and PayPal won't send this kind of message, so I always go to the real site and check there. I wonder how many people actually fall for those emails? I bet it's quite a few when you figure how many people are casual eBay users.

Earl

March 29th, 2007, 8:48 pm #6

frank
One e-mail sent to me actualy asked for my credit card pin #. These scams have been going on for years. I used to get about 2-3 every week, now I get nothing. I'm very curious as to how many people actualy fall for it. Like everyone else said, if it's not in your MY MESSAGES in your ebay section, just delete it.

March 29th, 2007, 9:25 pm #7

frank
Jim,

How original eh, Shipping to 90210 Beverly Hills, Haha.

A little while back eBay changed my user ID on me because it had ****@hotmail.com, They made me change the @hotmail.com part in an effort to limit fraud to accounts that had emails as their IDS, Guess it didn't do much help.

Andrew

March 30th, 2007, 2:56 am #8

frank
hi guys,the best thing to do is never respond to anything from ebay emails to do with info and payments. the spoof emails have been around for years. ebay now sends an alert emblem on your 'my ebay' page, so if it is important you will see it with an alert emblem that is yellow and red. it is that simple now.

March 30th, 2007, 3:05 am #9

frank
SCAMS
eBay sent this message requesting your Account Confirmation.
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.
eBay Account Issue - Response Required

Dear eBay Member,

Due to our latest changes on eBay Marketplace security system we have discovered there is an issue with your Account on file.

You can also copy and paste the following link into your Web browser

At this moment all selling, bidding and watching activities on your account are restricted until you confirm your Account Informations.

Thank you,
eBay
This is a spoof and i getting them alot i always foward them to paypal and ebay because i get just as many from a fake paypal