Grey back hockey cards?

Grey back hockey cards?

January 25th, 2011, 4:56 am #1

Does anything know about grey back hockey cards? Specifically, there is for sale on ebay the following item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1985-86-OPC-Grey-Ba ... 2ea8dc6b5c

I'm not sure if the seller's account is 100% accurate. I have come across single cards (they are OPC but the backs are dark and look like Topps), likely cut from a sheet, and hoping to find out more information on them. How scarce / rare are they? What value do they have, if any? I am familiar with the general stereotype against sheet cut cards. But I have heard that these grey backs were never actually intended to be cut by the factory...

any help is appreciated! thanks

January 25th, 2011, 12:44 pm #2

Well, it sure is an entertaining story, isn't it.

In 1984-85 OPC purposely produced 25% more cards for the instant winner promotion, and yes, they over produced the market demand but all this other information seems a little rich.

Having heard a variety of second hand information over the years about production, most of which is just heresay and usually it comes from the selling party's end.

Regarding the grey-back 1985-86, they are tough and no one is certain why they were produce (I will call my friend tonight who worked at OPC then and ask him if he knows about this), same thing happened in 1973-74, half grey, half white, I think the printer just used some stock he had in the warehouse before using the new order, employee's sometimes do things like this...
( I can just hear how this could have went down at the printers: (Joey)Hey Tony, that's not the stuff for da hockey cards....(Manero)ohman, I just spen a hour getting theze down from the shelves....(Joey)ok, screw it, give me a hand to load them up on the machine, I just want to get out of here (Manero)ok Joey, I just dpm't wanna hurt my back, I got to go dancing Saturday Night!
Last edited by BobbyBHockey on January 25th, 2011, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 25th, 2011, 6:47 pm #3

Does anything know about grey back hockey cards? Specifically, there is for sale on ebay the following item:

I'm not sure if the seller's account is 100% accurate. I have come across single cards (they are OPC but the backs are dark and look like Topps), likely cut from a sheet, and hoping to find out more information on them. How scarce / rare are they? What value do they have, if any? I am familiar with the general stereotype against sheet cut cards. But I have heard that these grey backs were never actually intended to be cut by the factory...

thanks for the response/story, would love to hear more if you get in touch with your friend who worked at OPC...

January 26th, 2011, 2:25 am #4

It looks like OPC may have experimented with some Topps stock ???

also ~ grey backs is a bit of a stretch, dull backs is more like it.
Last edited by JOE-2 on January 26th, 2011, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 27th, 2011, 12:30 pm #5

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I talked with my O-Pee-Chee friend who worked at the factory from 1975 to 1983 and he said that this different colour stock issue would be better known information through a printing employee or upper management.

However, he did mention that many skids of sheets would be sent back to the printer due to quality control, different colour stock, poor printing, off center issues, he said most of the ladies who worked there in this department would complain, which I find interesting because the were paid a bonus on past quota counts ( I think about 3 cent per display box) and why slow up the flow on your own account.

He also went on to tell me that when the first skids of sheets would come in, he was responsible to take 30 or 40 sheets from each series up to the head off for inspection (or whatever they did with them, he said).

There was no strike in 1975, which is a hobby rumour for the lack of production for the 1975 regular and wha issue. There was a strike in 1980, as the women were fighting for better wages.

Bobby

January 27th, 2011, 6:01 pm #6

There were some 1981 OPC baseball cards that had a darker card stock as well.

January 27th, 2011, 8:27 pm #7

Yes, now those baseball cards are rare!

January 28th, 2011, 1:31 pm #8

Is it possible that Topps printed the O-Pee-Chee dark backs? The darker stock is what Topps was using. I do believe that 84 Topps and O-Pee-Chee's were overprinted. I remember back in 88 when I was a kid buying 84 O-Pee-Chee's because they were 30 cents a pack (for 15 cards) and the new 88 Topps packs (12 cards per pack) were about 55 cents. If they did overprint in 84 is it possible O-Pee-Chee didn't have as many employees in 85? You have to remember it is a business. It has always been my opinion that there are less 85 and 86's than other 80's hockey cards. It is also my opinion that a heavy printing in 73 makes the 74 O-Pee-Chee's difficult. Does anyone remember getting dark backs out of a pack? If so was it later in the year? Were they predominantly sent to a region?

January 28th, 2011, 4:26 pm #9

I keep hearing that Topps may have printed stuff for OPC, the only time this happened was in the 1950's, OPC was an independant company, they used the Topps licence, so Topps when finished printing (in October - November) would send the design up to OPC and they would change it, add to it, and print their own, Topps never helped them do this.

1984 OPC said they were going to print 25% more cards this year for the promotion, they obviously printed far past the market demand, which in turn, they would lessen the next year or two's production because wholesalers, jobbers and retailers sent back much of their left over 1984 product.

January 29th, 2011, 12:30 am #10

I remember a thread on another forum a few years back, where the poster sent some of these 85-86's into PSA for grading .........the result ???

PSA wouldn't grade them / not sure why as he didn't specify why ~ although i suspect they may have been sheet cut.