Exchange Rate

Exchange Rate

September 30th, 2007, 12:59 am #1

For the first time since I have been collecting cards, the Canadian Dollar is equal to the U.S. Dollar. This won't impact me since most Canadian dealers sell cards in U.S. dollars, but does this open up the market even more to Canadian buyers? (Even though Canadian collectors already buy the majority of the hockey cards sold on eBay.)

Will this benefit dealers or collectors the most?

Earl

September 30th, 2007, 2:15 am #2

As a collector in Canada and with eBay auctions in US$, I can afford to place higher bid amounts. I guess that benefits both myself and the seller, but only if the seller is in the US. I'm spending the same amount (or less) in CDN $ that I always was but I'm winning more auctions; and the seller (if located in the US) benefits because I am placing higher bids in US$.

The person taking the hit on the exchange rate is the Canadian eBay seller running auctions in US$.

September 30th, 2007, 2:44 am #3

For the first time since I have been collecting cards, the Canadian Dollar is equal to the U.S. Dollar. This won't impact me since most Canadian dealers sell cards in U.S. dollars, but does this open up the market even more to Canadian buyers? (Even though Canadian collectors already buy the majority of the hockey cards sold on eBay.)

Earl
Bet your bottom dollar, 99.9% of the bids will be from North of the Border, that's unless a clueless seller makes it difficult for the Canuck bids ie: overcharges on shipping, states they won't fudge the customs sticker or says they won't ship outside the USA.

BTW .......

Canadian dollar closes above par

September 29, 2007
CANADIAN PRESS

The Canadian dollar closed above parity with the U.S. dollar yesterday for the first time since late November 1976, rising 0.66 cent to 100.52 cents US.

The dollar hit parity on an intraday basis Sept. 20 for the first time in almost 31 years because of higher commodity prices, especially oil, strong Canadian economic performance and weakness in the U.S. dollar, said George Davis of RBC Capital Markets.

Davis added that interest rates also factored into the loonie's rise. He said that RBC expects the loonie to go as high as $1.03 US in the fourth quarter.

September 30th, 2007, 3:01 am #4

Earl
Joe,

Never understood that myself...why a US seller would not sell to Canadian's especially when he is selling vintage hockey. dslsports comes to mind...great vintage hockey but will not sell to Canadians. His realized prices reflect this practice. I guess he does not like money LOL!

September 30th, 2007, 3:28 am #5

Earl
newenglandsportscards / 4sharpcorners also comes to mind .... they could easily double their $$$$$$$ just by changing their business practices!!

September 30th, 2007, 3:44 am #6

Earl
hey guys,i cant wait to go to the usa on monday and buy a car. my canuck dollar will actually be better than the usa dollar saving me money and the friggen prices in canada for a car is thousands of dollars more on any car than it is south of the border!!! soon we will start to see the "C" in front of the dollar on ebay more often as i sell stuff with canadian dollars now. it shure is a shame about a lot of usa dealers not selling to canadians as we shure have more money than they do when it comes to hockey cards!!!

September 30th, 2007, 4:30 am #7

Earl
sure, the CDN dollar is officially at par with the USD dollar, but have any Canadians used paypal lately? It would interesting to hear what rate Paypal is charging...

September 30th, 2007, 4:58 am #8

Earl
Donald, from what I understand when you export a car from the states to Canada there are taxes and fees applied that can be in the thousands of dollars depending what kind of car you get. You also have to convert your odometer into kilometers and have day time running lights installed at your expense. I don't know if it's really worth it since all costs add up tremendously. I planned on doing this next summer but will not when I found out what I will have to pay to get my car exported there. They make you jump through hoops to get your car up there.

I'm not sure if you are serious about the car or just using it as an example, but I figured I would post this to help out. Thanks.
Last edited by DamirTomicic on September 30th, 2007, 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 30th, 2007, 5:03 am #9

Earl
I was thinking the same thing about buying a car in the U.S. and driving it back to Canada. It works the same way here if you go out of state to buy a new car. If you go to a state with lower sales taxes, or no sales tax, you save money! But once you register the car in your home state, you have to pay that sales tax that they charge.

As for the Day Time Running Lights, lots of cars in the U.S. have them standard now. It would be easy to find that option already installed.

Good Luck with the car purchase!

September 30th, 2007, 1:24 pm #10

Earl
sorry guys should have made my statement more clear. i was refering to an antique car that i am going to buy. now is the best time to buy the old muscle cars etc... you guys are right there are a lot of fees but as far as the new cars-depending what price range car you buy you definetly will save money just the same. friend of mine bought a 2007 corvette z06 and after all the adjustments and fees he did save close to $10,000 dollars. so really the higher the price of a car is the more you save. so it is still worth the hasle.