Best way to store cards in a safe at home?

Best way to store cards in a safe at home?

April 5th, 2012, 3:50 am #1

I have been looking at safe units at Walmart ... are those good enough, or are those "cheap" solutions? I see some are 1/2 hour or 1 hour fire resistant, some are also water proof (some are both). Is there one in particular everyone in the hobby uses? Do you recommend the one with a key lock or numeric combination lock?

Thanks!

April 6th, 2012, 12:47 am #2

Check out the gun safes. There are some heavy duty ones for about 300-400 on sale. They hold 16 guns plus ammo or about 2 million cards. if you are Canadian there is one on sale in the flyer starting saturday at canadian tire.

April 6th, 2012, 3:17 am #3

I have been looking at safe units at Walmart ... are those good enough, or are those "cheap" solutions? I see some are 1/2 hour or 1 hour fire resistant, some are also water proof (some are both). Is there one in particular everyone in the hobby uses? Do you recommend the one with a key lock or numeric combination lock?

Thanks!
I bought a gun safe years ago and had it put into a closet near the front of our house. It came with adjustable shelves and I store my graded cards in card storage boxes. Unfortunately, the large boxes hold about 180 cards and are a bit cumbersome to move in and out of the safe when you want to add another card or take something out.

I paid a lot for my safe 10 years ago, but the prices have come down a bit since then.
I agree that a large gun/hunting store will be the best place to check out different safes.

April 6th, 2012, 8:06 pm #4

Thanks!
easy to open a wal mart safe... it is cheap at not secur

The wal mart safe, is not anti-thief. It is only anti fire. If you want a fire protection go for it, if you want a thief protection, buy a real safe in a specialize place .
Last edited by g_vezina_c55 on April 6th, 2012, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 7th, 2012, 3:24 am #5

Thanks!
Costco has some great safes, gun safes as well.

Garret Morrison
www.thesummitshow.com