1933 opc article in Jan/08 SMR

1933 opc article in Jan/08 SMR

November 21st, 2007, 7:34 pm #1

So I receive my annual Xmas gift in the mail today from PSA. This included the 12 month calendar and the Jan/08 issue of the SMR. I was happy that PSA had once again not forgotten me. I was also happy to find included in this issue a 3 page colour spread about the 1933 OPC hockey issue. It was great to see that our own forum member Chris Vandenberg along with brother Jordan had some input into the article. Bobby Burrell was also quoted and was described as a "tenacious researcer" which we all know is an understatement when it comes to Bobby and matters of vintage hockey fact finding. I guess I was just glad to see vintage hockey in general being represented so well in a mainstream mag that is usually 90% baseball. Also nice to see that the C56 set made the calendar for November.

Thanks to all involved..

Have a great day.. Rob...

Last edited by rob-star on November 21st, 2007, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob

November 21st, 2007, 8:48 pm #2

Wow, you get a Christmas gift from PSA? I didn't get anything last year, and I haven't received a calendar this year! I'm not sure if I just haven't been good this year, or if mine will arrive later.

It's always exciting to see vintage hockey represented in hobby magazines like this!

Thanks for sharing that with us.

November 21st, 2007, 9:16 pm #3

So I receive my annual Xmas gift in the mail today from PSA. This included the 12 month calendar and the Jan/08 issue of the SMR. I was happy that PSA had once again not forgotten me. I was also happy to find included in this issue a 3 page colour spread about the 1933 OPC hockey issue. It was great to see that our own forum member Chris Vandenberg along with brother Jordan had some input into the article. Bobby Burrell was also quoted and was described as a "tenacious researcer" which we all know is an understatement when it comes to Bobby and matters of vintage hockey fact finding. I guess I was just glad to see vintage hockey in general being represented so well in a mainstream mag that is usually 90% baseball. Also nice to see that the C56 set made the calendar for November.

Thanks to all involved..

Rob,

I also contrbuted to that article. All of the scans/images in that article are from my personal collection.

It was a great article and I am gald that PSA is doing articles on vintage hockey.

Paul
Last edited by shiftintermedia on November 21st, 2007, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 22nd, 2007, 3:41 am #4

Thanks to all involved..

Hey Guys,

Yes, it is nice to see great hockey articles in the PSA mag, last SMR had the 1951 Parkies set as well.

Also great to see your names in there too, that is the fun about our hobby is sharing information, makes us appreciate our collection better.

Kevin Glew is a great writer for hockey, he calls me once in a while for some info which I am always glad to share and he puts it to good use.

Next months Canadian Sports Magazine artilce will be on the Sporticatures of the 1970's artist Robert Pelkowski. Next months Beckett will have my article on the 1970's team crest OPC inserts.

I think these articles really help our hobby gain more recognition in the industry, lets keep the information flowing.

Be Well.
Bobby

November 24th, 2007, 12:14 pm #5

Thanks to all involved..

It was fun talking to Kevin. He was very interested in the set and its characteristics.

I have a question for Bobby. I too believe that the 33-34 Series B is from 34-35. It would just make sense since the set continues each year with a different series.

How can it be proven that it is indeed a different year for the set? Would someone need the printing plates, the game; is there a copyright year on the album?

I don't collect Series B, but according to the Charlton I have, the measurements on the cards are different. Maybe it is a typo, but does anyone collecting both Series A and B find that the Series B cards are smaller than the Series A?

Chris

November 24th, 2007, 2:31 pm #6

Thanks to all involved..

both series are the same size and each card has four different colours. i also agree that series A is 1933-34 and series B is 1934-35. the wrapper on the series b says "new series" and offers the game as a premium. bobby will know if there is a year stamped on the game? the hockey star picture album mentions both series on the back of the album so maybe it was released in 1934-35 to cover and hold both sets? also the game has a checklist on the back for both series but was only available from the second series wrapper,so it is pretty much possible that there where 2 different years.

November 24th, 2007, 6:49 pm #7

Thanks to all involved..

Chris,
It is very difficult to prove but I posed lots of circumstantial evidence and questions in my monthly colume in the Canadian Sports Magazines OPC History article part 1 in Sept/Oct.

I did acquire an album with the original envelope however the date stamp was fully smudged, this would have helped to date it.

Here is an excerpt from the OPC article below:

The 1930’s was a boom time for O-Pee-Chee as the Depression had ended in 1933 and they started to issue sports cards within their packages of gum to promote better sales. There are some unanswered questions for this decade of OPC hockey card issues which I will review below.

Four different gum companies joined in at the same time in 1933 with hockey cards in their gum products, Canadian Chewing Gum (Set 50), Hamilton Chewing Gum (Set 21), O-Pee-Chee (Set 72) and World Wide Gum (72). This coincidence could lead anyone to believe that this idea was not spun off by any one single gum company so conveniently at the same time but more than likely by a great printing salesman who brought the card idea to the gum companies.

The first O-Pee-Chee hockey card issue of 1933-34 is quite interesting in-that two series were issued and two different wrappers were also produced. With considering the length of the season to be relatively short, the season opening date was November 9th 1933 and the season ended April 10th 1934. Would this be enough time to market two different series, even if they released the cards on the first game to the last game? Five months may seem like a long time to sell that many cards but realistically, the hockey cards were probably only issued for a few months and OPC was known for releasing their cards in January. Certainly 72 card in one season is quite a large set for child to put together and maybe World Wide Gum’s set of 72 card were issued over the course of two years too? Funny how we find wrappers from the WWG issue 20 to 1 in comparison to the other issues. Maybe WWG issued more cards in a pack, there is no price on the wrapper like the other issues and it may have been a 5 cents pack which would yield you five cards and gum?

OPC Series-A has 48 cards and Series-B has 24 cards. Take in account the rest of the card counts in the other series. C-24, D-36, E-48, nothing comes close in numbers compared to the so-called first years 72 card, two series issue.

It could be perceived that Series “A” came out in 1933-34, and series “B” came out in the following year 1934-35. If all 72 cards were issued in 1933-34 why would OPC offer such a short time span of a second series and promote a hockey game which they had exclusively made for them? Not to mention that on the back of the game offered the only known advertisement for purchasing another O-Pee-Chee specific album to hold all 72 cards!? So, 1933-34 OPC issue had 72 cards issued in two series, a premium game was offered and an album to hold the cards but nothing was issued in 1934-35? Now that is allot of stuff to be going on in their first year of production and only in one hockey season!? Now considering competing with 3 other sets that came out at the same time why would you issue a second series with all that was going on, hmm….? END.

Here is another excerpt from the OPC article:

Next out of the gate was the 1937-38 OPC hockey issue. Another quandary to this issue as well, they too have two different wrappers. One could surmise that this release was issued for two years. OPC may have issued the same cards, just in different colours, one year was maroon bordered while the other blue bordered. Funny enough the two coloured boarders are also represented by the different wrapper colours. Both wrappers are identical except for colour and the blue based wrapper has “New for 1938” printed on it.

A very similar premium game was also offered as the year prior but this time in yellow. This board game came with the player’s pictured in the outer circle and their name underneath. An original OPC envelope was found with this yellow game within and it was dated December 9th 1938! This date would well support the above mentioned hypothesis that the date these cards were issued was over two years!

1939-40 and 1940-41 hockey cards are distinctly far different than what OPC had ever issued, so different that OPC may have not even issued these cards. There is no series designation, no name of the company on the cards, they are 5” x 7” and printed on thin cardboard stock. There has never been any proof that these were produced by O-Pee-Chee. Also made this year were Movie Star cards on the same thin cardboard stock and definitely from the same manufacturer of the hockey cards. I know because when my Grandfather passed away, I went through his old trunk under the basement stairs and there were about 40 of these cards in one pile of both hockey and movie stars. Now, these Movie Star cards were also issued in the USA which OPC had no USA affiliation with at this time in their history. END.

Lots of information Chris, just lacking solid proof! Maybe one day we will be able to confirm the above, maybe?

Bobby

November 25th, 2007, 1:14 pm #8

Thanks to all involved..

Bobby,

Looking online and checking out that particular stamp, it appears that the two-cent stamp is from 1934. This would indicate that the album was either mailed out late in the season, or at the beginning of the 34-35 season (which would make more sense as we have discussed). I am not sure what date the 1934 stamps were issued into circulation, but if anyone knows a stamp accionado, that may help us. I know the season was a lot shorter. It ended in March and the playoffs were in April.

Also, does anyone know an old o-pee-chee employee with a story, or someone elderly who grew up in the London area during this time. They may know of the set date.

Chris

November 25th, 2007, 2:22 pm #9

Thanks to all involved..

Hey Chris and Bobby,

I searched the Library and Archives of Canada site where they have an index of stamps and the dates of issue. This particular stamp is of George V and was issued on December 1st 1932, but ran all the way until August 16th 1934. The stamp that came out in August of 1934 was one of New Brunswick. The next 2 cent stamp of a member of the royal family came out on May 4th 1935 and was of the Duke of York (George VI). Now I don't know enough about stamps to know whether or not the George the V stamp would have run right up until the Duke of York stamp, because perhaps the New Brunswick one was some sort of limited issue and did not replace the monarch stamp. In this case the range of the George V stamp would be even greater from December 1st, 1932 to May 4th 1935. Either way judging soley by the stamp it neither confirms nor discredits the possibility of this set being in fact the 1934-35 set.

November 25th, 2007, 2:33 pm #10

Thanks to all involved..

Just a thought, but perhaps there is something in the write up of one of the players on the back of a card in series B. Is there anything in the player info, that can be accredited to the 1933-34 season? If there is, than that means the cards had to be issued after the season and likely came out during the next season. I do not have any of the cards or acces to any to find out. Perhaps someone here who knows enough to be able to identify something that pinpoints that season does though. Any thoughts...