Modo: The Pros, The Cons, The Laughs The Tears,

Respond to articles posted on VicMagic.

Modo: The Pros, The Cons, The Laughs The Tears,

tyler_W
The Nut High

25 Feb 2011, 23:09 #1

Modo: The pros, the cons, the laughs, the tears. An Epic tale

Hello, to the uninitiated my name is Tyler Woolley or dubz1337 on modo, resident Grumpy tiltasaur, who can be found at YJ Mostly just for fnm and highlander these days. Albert had talked about writing an article about modo Basics for beginners, and while I am the first to admit Albert is likely a much better player then I am, I think I have more free time then he does, so I am going to get the ball rolling and crank out a couple of major basic building points that every modo player should know. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me, or ask in the forums, I¡¦m always happy to help out modo beginners!

When I first started playing modo, it was at the ripe old age of 16, and Jason Gray gave me his account, which had most of a UG madness deck on it, and 6 whole tickets I believe. I scoured the now dead auction room, trying to find some arrogant wurms so I could crush people, but it never really happened, and the account was forgotten about. If I had known then what kind of slave I would eventually become to this program¡K well I probably wouldn¡¦t have changed anything¡K but I probably should have, but as Ol Bubzy often says, Hindsight is 20/20. Fast forward a year or so, and I discovered what an insane time and money sink modo could be. The reason: drafting. As well all know all too well, drafting is usually by far the most fun you can have with magic, however the effort required to get 6-8 people to sit down, agree on stakes, and commit 2-3 hours can be a pain, which had always kept drafting habits in check a bit. Enter: Modo. Drafting 24/7, in my underwear, while eating cheezies? SIGN. Me. UP. I went through a few hot streaks during md5 (still one of the best draft formats ever, as championed by such luminaries as Tyler Sage, Josh Layne and myself) but overall still just bust out, even through an incredible streak of drafting 5c zuberas in champions block and getting my lim rating up to 1950 (I am not even joking, orochi leaf caller was the stone cold nuts yo) I could never really get ahead. It was at this time when I learned lesson 1: (and yes it just took me 500 words to get to my first point, you are the one t hat is still reading, sucker!!)

Always have a constructed deck or 2 to fall back on during tough times

These decks can be for any format but I would recommend sticking to pauper, block constructed or standard to start. These tournaments fire all the time, have good payouts, and are about half the cost of drafting after your initial investment. Constructed not your thing? I know this people certainly exist, and I hope you are either a god at opening packs, or very very good at limited (I think Bert is going to cover limited more then I will in his article eventually) because its very hard to stay afloat on modo only playing drafts and sealeds. Here is where modo really shines in my opinion, as card prices on modo are VASTLY lower then their real life counterparts, in almost every instance. (The difference mainly being chase mythics, which are usually around the same) For example, Fauna shaman is 12 dollars irl, and is 2-3 on modo. You can usually build a good, competitive standard deck for fewer than 100 tickets, which is almost always a good investment. Research the daily events schedule, as those are usually the best events to play. They are a 4 round Swiss tourney with a set payout, no matter how many people enter. You get 11 packs for 4-0, and 6 for 3-1. These events are likely more competitive then an YJ FNM, but the payouts are decent, and are a great place to test. At this point, you will sometimes have some liquid tickets to spend, as you are an unstoppable constructed machine (obv) time to draft right?!?! RIGHT?!?! Well yes it is probably time to draft, but be smart, this brings us to lesson 2:

Never miss out on MODO Kwanzaa

Modo Kwanzaa is a splendid time (although not quite as glorious as modo Christmas was¡K) When a new set is released, and they have 24 ticket sealed tournaments with the following payouts 4-0: 13 packs 3-1:8 packs 2-2:3 packs. That¡¦s right folks, 3 packs for going 2-2. These events are super easy to chain for the first couple of days while card prices are high, and then eventually get a bit harsh when the packs you win are only worth 2.5 because the market is so flooded with them. However, that first day or 2 is pretty glorious, and has resulted in some of my most profitable modo times. (Also some of my most ridiculously addicted moments. 55 m10 sealeds come to mind¡K.) Anyways, these sealeds are quite good, and among the best EV you will ever get. The talk of grinding 100 sealeds however brings me to my last point of the day:

HAVE FUN!

Now, I hate fun, its stupid and for babies, but I guess not every feels this way. Make sure to try to never ¡§burn out¡¨ on modo, or a specific format, this is a game after all, and should be enjoyable to you a large portion of the time. Look into the aforementioned pauper, or if you are baller, legacy, for a fun format that is really diverse, and a good break from draft or t2. Do older drafts like tempest, or whatever they have on the rotation. This point is pretty important, as I find I play much better, and have much better results when I¡¦m not just running a million tournies, and getting mad with every loss. My most successful format in tournies is most likely legacy, because I very much enjoy the format, and even when I¡¦m losing, am usually having fun. Anyways, as I said, Please let me know if you have any questions, or need any help. I may try to make some constructed videos a la Jono for my next legacy eventƒº

animus
The Nut High

25 Feb 2011, 23:59 #2

Aforementioned daily event calendar

In particular for budget players, pauper dailies are firing pretty much every time now, even getting up over 50 players sometimes. A few of the decks are made with expensive, hard to find commons but there are a lot that are dirt cheap.

Oscar Lemming
The Nut High

26 Feb 2011, 18:55 #3

Hey Tyler,

Thanks for repping me, and thanks for getting the ball rolling on this. I will try to add some stuff later.

FireWalkWithMe
The Nut High

27 Feb 2011, 23:36 #4

My advice, learn to love f4.
Barely infinite

Don'tCallMeJohnny
The Nut High

28 Feb 2011, 01:27 #5

FireWalkWithMe @ Feb 27 2011, 03:36 PM wrote: My advice, learn to love f4.
I don't even know what f4 does
yet another "HAPLESS DRONE... [who] just NETDECK week after week or whenever"

hellastupid11
The Nut High

28 Feb 2011, 02:17 #6

modo:
the pros: tourneys anytime, cheaper cards
the cons: the program is awful and has to be updated every 5 minutes

cons outweigh the pros for me most times
RIGGER WHAT?

defnel
The Nut High

28 Feb 2011, 11:43 #7

i've also discovered this weird con lately where I just enjoy playing irl way more. it's not even entirely the social aspect, i just have more fun holding real pieces of cardboard and sitting down at a real table looking at them.
[Nelson’s sobs resound, muffled by the distinctive acoustics characteristic of small bathrooms everywhere]

tyler_W
The Nut High

28 Feb 2011, 15:42 #8

funnily enough, i feel the exact opposite lately.

defnel
The Nut High

28 Feb 2011, 19:45 #9

yeah this is totally personal preference. the usual slight on modo is to say "you aren't socializing", but for many people this is actually a plus. Also, and I guess I'm speaking to new players specifically now and doing my part to further the article, you can pretty much counteract the effects of modo being a lonelier version of paper magic by just having your friends over to discuss draft picks and best plays. What's that you say, your friends have laptops? well why not share your internet with them and all play release sealeds together in your living room? the spirit of modo kwanzaa isn't just profit, it's also togetherness.
[Nelson’s sobs resound, muffled by the distinctive acoustics characteristic of small bathrooms everywhere]

hellastupid11
The Nut High

28 Feb 2011, 22:29 #10

also putting up with trash as a community.
RIGGER WHAT?

scoughman
The Nut High

12 Oct 2011, 20:35 #11

So I build monored on MODO, crush some of these 4-man swiss tourneys, get tickets, draft, don't miss modo kwanzaa. Is there a system for how many queues you should hit/how much you should draft to stay afloat or is it just too random to predict? Definitely feels like I should probably play constructed because I can never chain 8-4s on modo.
Sol Ring
Solemn Simulacrum
Giant Solifuge
Sol Grail
Solarion
Sol'Kanar the Swamp King
Soliton
City of Solitude

tyler_W
The Nut High

13 Oct 2011, 01:53 #12

if you are playing modo for Ev, never draft, its that simple. Constructed will always be better

Yellowjackets
The Nut High

13 Oct 2011, 21:59 #13

I like to draft after I'm up three constructed buy-ins.
-n
"Long time listener, first time caller"

tyler_W
The Nut High

03 Jan 2012, 15:31 #14

newest go infinite strategy on modo.

Step 1: Buy monored for around 80ish ticket
step 2 enter events until its paid for itself (this took two days for me)
step 3: Profit

Seriously, all anyone is playing is illusions, and althoguh they can win the matchup, its nowhere near as 50 50 as the illusions players seem to think it is. G1 is a cakewalk, and 2 and 3 they have a bunch of timely, but you have sweepers and can just play control and win for the most part. im 4-0, 4-0, 3-1, 3-1, 0-2 in 4 DE's with the deck, and have won a couple gold queues, and 2 8 mans. About 80 percent of the time i get paired vs illusions.

scoughman
The Nut High

03 Jan 2012, 19:19 #15

Wanna share your list? What sweepers are you playing SB?
Sol Ring
Solemn Simulacrum
Giant Solifuge
Sol Grail
Solarion
Sol'Kanar the Swamp King
Soliton
City of Solitude