Highlander

Deck Lists and Strategy Discussion for Other Formats.

Highlander

Aaron Patten
The Nut High

14 May 2008, 20:32 #1

So I figured I should start a Highlander thread since these days I play this format almost exclusively.
If you think you don't have what it takes to play Highlander consider the following:
Recipe for Good Vintage Highlander Deck.
Step 1:
Place 50 cards that you consider to be both "broken", and
"synergistic" in one pile.
Step 2:
Place 40 Land of the appropriate color(s) into another pile.
Step 3:
Place 10 Mana Fixing/Accelerating cards into a pile.
Step 4:
Mix Vigorously.
Step 5:
Play several games.
Step 6:
Rinse.
Step 7:
Repeat.
Generally the decks that are considered to be the most broken are theones that have had the most rinse cycles. I go by the vintage restricted list because it is the most inclusiveand the bannings that have been suggested are completely groundless
and probably put together by someone with a very whiny and nasal voice who doesn't like losing. If you find that you are being beaten by some ridiculous combo on a regular basis... META. No Highlander deck is ever finished, it is only temporarily set back in it's growth by a lack of challenging opponents.
An address to those new to the format:

A lot of people would have you believe that the best highlander deck is the one with the most expensive and most powerful cards in it. This is only 25.58301% true. Most of what makes a highlander deck win is how many major modification it has undergone. Any experienced magic player will tell you that the only way to have a well tuned deck(Other than net-decking) is through play testing. Most of the people I play highlander against lost fairly consistently for the first 30 or so games we played but now these people beat me as much or more than I beat them. There's no secret technology they used to, all of a sudden, win consistently in a resoundingly inconstant format. It's all just a matter of tuning the deck.

I highly recommend that if you're building a highlander deck for the first time that you start with the colour that allows you to play the most of your favorite cards. This is because no matter what combination of colours you chose there is a competitive highlander deck that can be produced for it and ultimately the goal is to have fun plying it. If budget is an issue it might be wise to start with a mono coloured deck since getting a hold of dual lands can be difficult in Victoria these days. Once the mono coloured version is doing well and you have a little more pocket change you can add the other colours as needed.

Back in the days when one didn't just search the internet for their next deck and they actually had to design them from scratch this was the process they used. All those revolutionary decks you hear about had to be developed at some point and this is the way it's done.

The larger the card pool the more important metagaming becomes. Since this is the maximum size of card pool of all formats metagaming becomes very important. If you keep losing to graveyard recursion play Tormod's Crypt. If you keep losing to enchantments play Tranquility. The list goes on; I'm sure you get the idea.

In the many games of Highlander I have played many have been over the internet using software that allowed the use of an infinite number of proxies. This allowed me to get quite intimately aware of what kinds of properties this format had when taken to a competitive level wherein money is no object. Ultimately the format gets it's stability through the same method the DCI uses to control vintage; restrictions. When certain cards are dominating vintage the restricted list is sometimes changed by the DCI, the result of which is that those cards that are seeing heavy play in those decks that have a strangle hold on the format are no longer able to be used in certain plays as consistently as they previously were. Thus if a player wants to use a certain game winning play as his or her strategy the ability for a player to construct a deck that can consistently do that is greatly reduced. The play can still be made and it can still win games but the overhead cost to the deck in order to make that play consistently is increased by the fact that only one of that card is present. If you expand this theory to take into account that most of the cards that people play are played because they are very good and win games you would eventually conclude that all cards should be restricted. Restricting certain cards will ensure that certain other cards will rise to the top of that particular meta and see play in a significant percentage of winning decks. Lets say you restrict Tinker, Strip Mine, and all of the power nine. The effect of that would be that cards such as Yawgmoth's Will, Balance, Skullclamp, Sol Ring, and various other cards would take their place as the kings of the format. Thus the next step is to restrict those cards and watch as a whole new set of cards begins to dominate in the new meta. Ultimately the end result of this process is the eventual restriction of every card. In this case the likely hood of drawing any particular card is reduced equally and though certain cards are still heavily played and still retain their power they will no longer dominate the format simply because the probability of them being drawn is low enough that they can't be depended upon. To take that a step further one can reduce the probability of drawing any one card even more by increasing the minimum deck size to say 100 cards for example. At this point you've taken all the logical steps to construct the format known as Highlander. If the same steps were taken with bannings replacing restrictions... well... I guess Magic: the Gathering isn't for everybody.

University is just another one of those pyramid schemes like chain letters, the Freemason Society, Scientology, and... hmm... what's that really famous one? Oh yeah, Capitalism.

Aaron Patten
The Nut High

14 May 2008, 21:38 #2

Average casting cost of all 61 non-mana-producing cards: 1.80952381(approximate). Not including [card]Inkwell Leviathan[/card] in the average would reduce this number even further. This is the reason I can risk playing only 40 mana sources in the deck.

This is currently my deck but I change it fairly regularly; I'll try my best to keep it up to date. Some cards I'm still looking for are listed at the bottom of this post:
http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/VicMa ... topic=1521

University is just another one of those pyramid schemes like chain letters, the Freemason Society, Scientology, and... hmm... what's that really famous one? Oh yeah, Capitalism.

Sean_Tambo
The Nut High

14 May 2008, 22:40 #3

Next time I'm down at YJ I'll be down for games. Highlander and limited are the only magic I play now as well.
Super nintendo, Sega Genesis, when I was dead broke I couldn't picture this.

Distant relative of [card]Island Fish Jasconius[/card]

megatherium
The Nut High

15 May 2008, 01:59 #4

highlander lives forever!!
Its not a may

defnel
The Nut High

15 May 2008, 03:19 #5

k one more dude in and we've got a 2round swiss.
[Nelson’s sobs resound, muffled by the distinctive acoustics characteristic of small bathrooms everywhere]

Aaron Patten
The Nut High

15 May 2008, 03:21 #6

My money's on Sorenson...

Sean_Tambo
The Nut High

15 May 2008, 04:23 #7

I crush sorenson. I never have to intercept.
Super nintendo, Sega Genesis, when I was dead broke I couldn't picture this.

Distant relative of [card]Island Fish Jasconius[/card]

megatherium
The Nut High

15 May 2008, 04:53 #8

there is only scuta!!!

ps, aaron throw the sea drake out of your deck
Its not a may

Aaron Patten
The Nut High

15 May 2008, 04:57 #9

Last I checked you didn't even play that guy. You really should represent with a real [card]Juzam Djinn[/card] at some point. He fits in your deck, he's strictly better than [card]Phyrexian Scuta[/card], and he's just plain cool; which is really what it's all about.

[card]Sea Drake[/card] rocks, even if it does lose me the game almost every time I play it. You really should be playing one in your deck, it's a perfect fit. When he first went in he was the bomb cause I lucked out a bunch of times and got him when i had wasteland and fetch in play. If you look closely you'll notice there is no drawback if you can fizzle the ability.

Anyone have alpha moxen for trade?

megatherium
The Nut High

15 May 2008, 05:42 #10

actually neither make the cut these days. juzam is waaay cooler, but alot more $$$ and hes double black too. If im gonna spend 200$ on a card, its gotta be better than JD. A sea drake would be cool too, but theyre ovb really rare.
Its not a may

One-eyed_Pete
The Nut High

15 May 2008, 07:06 #11

step 8: CUT YO'SELF
WHO IS DRIVING? BEAR IS DRIVING! HOW CAN THIS BE?! CAR-FULL-OF-MIDGETS!

slearch
The Nut High

15 May 2008, 14:49 #12

Aaron Patten @ May 15 2008, 04:57 AM wrote: [card]Sea Drake[/card] rocks, even if it does lose me the game almost every time I play it. You really should be playing one in your deck, it's a perfect fit. When he first went in he was the bomb cause I lucked out a bunch of times and got him when i had wasteland and fetch in play. If you look closely you'll notice there is no drawback if you can fizzle the ability.
the only way sea drake's ability fizzles is if you have no lands in play, it doesn't target the lands.
BS_CONNECTOIN: i was going to win next turn anyways
slearch: how does it feel to have a typo in your name?
DavidOchoa: who?
JoINrbs: search

Aaron Patten
The Nut High

15 May 2008, 15:45 #13

It does actually. If you click on [card]Sea Drake[/card] and read the oracle text which is used to translate it from Portalian to Magician it says "When [card]Sea Drake[/card] comes into play, return two target lands you control to their owner's hand."... Silly Charles, thinking you could get the better of the Grand Master of Old School Magic: the Gathering with a rules trivia question.

JD got cut on account of his double blackness? That's just plain RACIST!!! I think he's good. I think he's also cheaper than $200. I play [card]Sea drake[/card] for coolness factor. It's like the mascot of my deck. You should play [card]Juzam Djinn[/card] as your mascot. Ramemeber the Rathi Deck that was actually not that centered around [card]Rathi Dragon[/card]?

slearch
The Nut High

15 May 2008, 15:56 #14

the weird thing is, i actually clicked the link to read the oracle text and somehow missed the word "target". i guess sometimes you just see what you want to see.
BS_CONNECTOIN: i was going to win next turn anyways
slearch: how does it feel to have a typo in your name?
DavidOchoa: who?
JoINrbs: search

DenimVest
The Nut High

15 May 2008, 18:09 #15

defnel @ May 14 2008, 07:19 PM wrote: k one more dude in and we've got a 2round swiss.
wicked!

and no aaron, not for tradez
Dan: I'm going to become rich and famous after I invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet says:I'm going to sleep, last minute advice, do drugs, **** sluts, play gobs in ext and u/g in std