Lucha Underground

November 16th, 2014, 8:51 pm #1

Welcome to the Lucha Underground thread!

I'll start out by saying, this promotion is great.

November 16th, 2014, 9:52 pm #2

I was thinking about making a thread for this; glad someone else did. I'm really liking Lucha Underground so far, their production values are great and the matches have all been fun. The way they do the vignettes and backstage segments is so refreshing.
Also, can I just say how much I love Dario Cueto? Getting professional actors to play non-wrestling characters should be done more (if only they'd done the same with Mil Muertes's valet.)

November 16th, 2014, 10:48 pm #3

Milksword wrote:I was thinking about making a thread for this; glad someone else did. I'm really liking Lucha Underground so far, their production values are great and the matches have all been fun. The way they do the vignettes and backstage segments is so refreshing.
Also, can I just say how much I love Dario Cueto? Getting professional actors to play non-wrestling characters should be done more (if only they'd done the same with Mil Muertes's valet.)
I love the production value. It's weird, they're not quite like promos, not quite like a telenovela. The vignettes are great. There's a good narrative going on, and I'm surprise by how good Chavo Guerrero is.

Dat Triple Threat match tho. Fenix is fuckin awesome.

November 17th, 2014, 2:27 am #4

Awww, you beat me to it! :D

Even though I've been out of the WWE loop for years (up until August), I've been watching some of AAA, including this year's Triplemania. I'm super excited to see the line up. It's interesting how they got a lot of the AAA roster (Sexy Star, Pentagon Jr.) as well as some indy and ex WWE wrestles we all love like Chavo, John Morrison, and Ricochet. So far I'm loving the stories and the matches. The show has potential and I do love the telenovela intermissions. I think that despite being an hour long, it always feels like they pack good content. Sometimes I do wish it were two hours, but so far, I love the matches.

I think that they could lower the amount of time they spend on the intro promos. Always feels like they take up too much time. Also, while I love the development of Chavo as a heel attacking some of the famous, established luchadors, I think they might have rushed things with Blue Demon's hospitalization. The chair shot to Sexy Star was very unexpected though, and I really liked it. The show does a good job at being edgy without trying too hard. The atmosphere, the mannerisms, and even Dario "El Jefe" Cuerto. I love how they have introduced the Minis, though I am wondering how they handle Exoticos to an American audience.

That triple threat was fun to watch. I can't wait to see how they further Fenix and co. They literally took my three favorite luchadors and put them in a ring together. I can't wait to see what happens on Wednesday. If only I had days off this week...

November 17th, 2014, 3:21 am #5

I also love how El Rey put the main event of the most recent episode on Youtube for free. That was SUPER nice of them and a great plan. Let it spread virally across the IWC

November 17th, 2014, 8:52 pm #6

Apparently Alberto Del Rio claims he's about to sign with two companies that have TV deals but it won't be until January. Since the next tapings for Lucha Underground are in January, I would assume that it's a given that LU is one of the promotions he's talking about.

November 17th, 2014, 9:02 pm #7

BAH GAWD KANG wrote:Apparently Alberto Del Rio claims he's about to sign with two companies that have TV deals but it won't be until January. Since the next tapings for Lucha Underground are in January, I would assume that it's a given that LU is one of the promotions he's talking about.
I think it's confiirmed that he's going there, yeah. It'll be cool to see what he brings to it; he was always a good wrestler but WWE restricted his character a lot.

November 17th, 2014, 9:13 pm #8

Yes since Lucha Underground is owned by AAA and he's on there, it's only a matter of time before we see Alberto. Maybe even Mysteziz will come over as well. I wonder if they'll bring over Hijo de Phantasmo, because while he's good, there is the whole copyright thing with The Phantom over his mask.

November 17th, 2014, 10:27 pm #9

Alberto needs to wait a bit before he'll show up. Pretty sure it was confirmed somewhere he'll show up in Season 2.

Also Push Chavo more

November 18th, 2014, 10:39 pm #10

It's weird with how wrestling in North America, and around the world for that matter, tends to be run, this is the one promotion that seems to just make really good decisions. The wres kicks ass, the storyline segments are really well-made, they've employed good people and even their merch is above average.