VA or medicaid

VA or medicaid

nick2369
.
.
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 16:57

05 Nov 2017, 15:43 #1

i recently received 100%p&t for mental disorder. i have been use medicaid to see my private mental health doc close to home for a awhile. and now i have this 100% p&t. do i have to go see va mental health doc now? or i can still stay with my private doc?because va hospital is kind of far and i am not really comfortable to talk to new mental health doc. if i dont go to va hospital at all does it gonna affect my rating later or get reexam?thank you
Reply

Nick
.
.
Joined: 27 Feb 2011, 02:04

05 Nov 2017, 16:28 #2

You are not obligated to use VA mental health care providers simply because you receive VA disability compensation.

You may wish to have your private mental health doctor give some sort of annual treatment summary to your VA PCP for health care coordination purposes (particularly if both are prescribing meds)  but that is your choice.

If you are P&T, then you are not scheduled for any future exams.  If you do have a VA C&P exam in the future for your mental health issues, then you would want to make your private doctor records available.
Nick
USAF RETIRED
100% P&T
100% CRSC

Complete layman - not a VSO and not a VA employee.
Reply

motocardio
.
.
Joined: 18 Apr 2011, 03:29

05 Nov 2017, 16:37 #3

Personally I would use secure messaging via myhealthevet to inform my PCP at the VA of your private care. This will let the VA record your private doctors name and treatment. I am not suggesting coordinating your care. Just would keep your record current. Peace
Reply

nick2369
.
.
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 16:57

05 Nov 2017, 16:55 #4

Nick wrote: You are not obligated to use VA mental health care providers simply because you receive VA disability compensation.

You may wish to have your private mental health doctor give some sort of annual treatment summary to your VA PCP for health care coordination purposes (particularly if both are prescribing meds)  but that is your choice.

If you are P&T, then you are not scheduled for any future exams.  If you do have a VA C&P exam in the future for your mental health issues, then you would want to make your private doctor records available.
yes the letter says no future exam scheduled. but i just worried if i dont go see va provider this is gonna change. so it wont affect future rating if i stay with my privite and mental health doc?
Reply

nick2369
.
.
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 16:57

05 Nov 2017, 16:59 #5

motocardio wrote: Personally I would use secure messaging via myhealthevet to inform my PCP at the VA of your private care. This will let the VA record your private doctors name and treatment. I am not suggesting coordinating your care. Just would keep your record current. Peace
i did't register any va hospital i dont and think i have pcp in va. i just get phone call said i enroll to va system and they told me to find any va hospital to register. what if i dont go since i already have meicaid?or i should go register it's better but dont have to see any va provider. i just dont want to keep change my pcp and my mental healthhealth doc
Reply

Nick
.
.
Joined: 27 Feb 2011, 02:04

05 Nov 2017, 17:15 #6

Staying with your private doctor will not affect your VA care or your rating. Enrolling in VA health care gives you access to that care when, or if,  you need it and access to things such as dental (at 100% rating) , vision, and hearing services.

The Veterans Health administration, VHA, runs the VA health care system which includes VA medical centers (VAMC) and associated clinics. Enrolled vets obtain health care through the VAMC or clinic. Your VA medical appointments are within the VHA.

The Veterans Benefit Administration, VBA, manages the disability compensation system. The VBA are the folks that you apply to for disability compensation.

These two agencies, VHA and VBA, have very little interaction. If you file a claim , the VBA regional office can access records from the VHA and may ask the VHA to perform a Compensation and pension (C&P) exam. But, for example, if you change your address with the VHA, it does not change your address in the VBA records.

Unless you file a new claim, it is unlikely that the VBA will look into your claim file if your P&T no matter where you get your health care

I have Medicare, Tricare, and VA health care and use all three.  I keep my VA enrollment current by seeing my VA PCP once a year.
Nick
USAF RETIRED
100% P&T
100% CRSC

Complete layman - not a VSO and not a VA employee.
Reply

algomaspur
.
.
Joined: 10 Jan 2015, 18:12

05 Nov 2017, 18:52 #7

nick2369 wrote: i recently received 100%p&t for mental disorder. i have been use medicaid to see my private mental health doc close to home for a awhile. and now i have this 100% p&t. do i have to go see va mental health doc now? or i can still stay with my private doc?because va hospital is kind of far and i am not really comfortable to talk to new mental health doc. if i dont go to va hospital at all does it gonna affect my rating later or get reexam?thank you
I will give you my personal experience V.A. Psychologists do more to help you with conditions that are service connected as far as I am concerned the Behavioral Health system for the V.A. is far better then the civilian sector.  Why are you scared to see a V.A. Professional... I was seeing a professional in the civilian sector cause its close to home but they were not equipped to help me with my disabilities...
Reply

nick2369
.
.
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 16:57

05 Nov 2017, 19:04 #8

Nick wrote: Staying with your private doctor will not affect your VA care or your rating. Enrolling in VA health care gives you access to that care when, or if,  you need it and access to things such as dental (at 100% rating) , vision, and hearing services.

The Veterans Health administration, VHA, runs the VA health care system which includes VA medical centers (VAMC) and associated clinics. Enrolled vets obtain health care through the VAMC or clinic. Your VA medical appointments are within the VHA.

The Veterans Benefit Administration, VBA, manages the disability compensation system. The VBA are the folks that you apply to for disability compensation.

These two agencies, VHA and VBA, have very little interaction. If you file a claim , the VBA regional office can access records from the VHA and may ask the VHA to perform a Compensation and pension (C&P) exam. But, for example, if you change your address with the VHA, it does not change your address in the VBA records.

Unless you file a new claim, it is unlikely that the VBA will look into your claim file if your P&T no matter where you get your health care

I have Medicare, Tricare, and VA health care and use all three.  I keep my VA enrollment current by seeing my VA PCP once a year.
thank you sir for this info. it's really help me to understand more.
Reply

nick2369
.
.
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 16:57

05 Nov 2017, 19:07 #9

algomaspur wrote:
nick2369 wrote: i recently received 100%p&t for mental disorder. i have been use medicaid to see my private mental health doc close to home for a awhile. and now i have this 100% p&t. do i have to go see va mental health doc now? or i can still stay with my private doc?because va hospital is kind of far and i am not really comfortable to talk to new mental health doc. if i dont go to va hospital at all does it gonna affect my rating later or get reexam?thank you
I will give you my personal experience V.A. Psychologists do more to help you with conditions that are service connected as far as I am concerned the Behavioral Health system for the V.A. is far better then the civilian sector.  Why are you scared to see a V.A. Professional... I was seeing a professional in the civilian sector cause its close to home but they were not equipped to help me with my disabilities...
thank you sir. i am not scared just too far from home. and i don' t go out at all except to see my doc. i don't feel comfortable go really far and see new doc.
Reply

algomaspur
.
.
Joined: 10 Jan 2015, 18:12

05 Nov 2017, 19:14 #10

nick2369 wrote:
algomaspur wrote:
nick2369 wrote: i recently received 100%p&t for mental disorder. i have been use medicaid to see my private mental health doc close to home for a awhile. and now i have this 100% p&t. do i have to go see va mental health doc now? or i can still stay with my private doc?because va hospital is kind of far and i am not really comfortable to talk to new mental health doc. if i dont go to va hospital at all does it gonna affect my rating later or get reexam?thank you
I will give you my personal experience V.A. Psychologists do more to help you with conditions that are service connected as far as I am concerned the Behavioral Health system for the V.A. is far better then the civilian sector.  Why are you scared to see a V.A. Professional... I was seeing a professional in the civilian sector cause its close to home but they were not equipped to help me with my disabilities...
thank you sir. i am not scared just too far from home. and i don' t go out at all except to see my doc. i don't feel comfortable go really far and see new doc.
I am was exactly the same way but I put up with the 1 and a half hour drive to the V.A. because I know that the record sharing between the VHA and VBA that I am signed up for make it much easier for the raters too look through my records when dealing with claims and so forth.  When I was seeing a civilian they were really bad at getting the information over to social security and the V.A. .  I signed up for a special record sharing program throught Social security and the V.A.  I am under a continuing disability review from Social Security right now and my claims rep yes I talked to him in person told me that the V.A. was very organized and had great record keeping for my mental health records thats why I think V.A. is better equipped to handle veterans.  Also when you go in for a Cand P exam with a Psychologist they are contracted through VBA not VHA so they are able to look at things from a independent standpoint while stell considering the information from your V.A doctors.
Reply

algomaspur
.
.
Joined: 10 Jan 2015, 18:12

05 Nov 2017, 19:16 #11

nick2369 wrote:
algomaspur wrote:
nick2369 wrote: i recently received 100%p&t for mental disorder. i have been use medicaid to see my private mental health doc close to home for a awhile. and now i have this 100% p&t. do i have to go see va mental health doc now? or i can still stay with my private doc?because va hospital is kind of far and i am not really comfortable to talk to new mental health doc. if i dont go to va hospital at all does it gonna affect my rating later or get reexam?thank you
I will give you my personal experience V.A. Psychologists do more to help you with conditions that are service connected as far as I am concerned the Behavioral Health system for the V.A. is far better then the civilian sector.  Why are you scared to see a V.A. Professional... I was seeing a professional in the civilian sector cause its close to home but they were not equipped to help me with my disabilities...
thank you sir. i am not scared just too far from home. and i don' t go out at all except to see my doc. i don't feel comfortable go really far and see new doc.
one more thing I want to add if you are scared to drive that far you can always take the DAV van for free..  When I have a bad day with anxiety and cannot drive I take the VAN and sleep.
Reply

crh178
.
.
Joined: 24 Jun 2009, 20:47

06 Nov 2017, 02:47 #12

I understand what the OP is going through. It's not the drive, it's the time away from home. I can't be away for very long either whether I drive or not. Taking a VAN wouldn't make a difference.
Reply

algomaspur
.
.
Joined: 10 Jan 2015, 18:12

06 Nov 2017, 03:46 #13

I am not trying to steer him in a direction just telling him of my experiences.  he stated information in regards to going to a mental health provider and getting his benefits taken away why is everybody so scared to get there benefits taken away like the V.A. doctors are sitting there all day thinking of how they can take are Disability ratings away or changing a doctor so on and so forth.  Such misinformation the V.A. is the absolute best hands down in my opinion and I like to share that fact. Every C and P are VBA and the Docs I see are VHA take care God Bless and praying all is well.
Reply

nick2369
.
.
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 16:57

06 Nov 2017, 05:14 #14

algomaspur wrote: I am not trying to steer him in a direction just telling him of my experiences.  he stated information in regards to going to a mental health provider and getting his benefits taken away why is everybody so scared to get there benefits taken away like the V.A. doctors are sitting there all day thinking of how they can take are Disability ratings away or changing a doctor so on and so forth.  Such misinformation the V.A. is the absolute best hands down in my opinion and I like to share that fact. Every C and P are VBA and the Docs I see are VHA take care God Bless and praying all is well.
first of all thank you for all the info it is really help. and i am not scared to go see va mental health provider at all. i am not worried if i go see va mental health provider and they gonna change any benefit. the question i asked is i already see my mental health provider for long time and i really like it feel comfortable with it. i dont want to change it i like to stay with him. and i dont want see the new doc and start all over again. i dont really trust people easily and i dont go out that far from home. i asked about if i dont to see va
mental health provder does gonna affect my future rating,is not am scared to see va provider. thank you
Reply

algomaspur
.
.
Joined: 10 Jan 2015, 18:12

06 Nov 2017, 06:08 #15

You take care as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reply