Student Loan Discharge Approved

Student Loan Discharge Approved

Guest
Posts 0
Guest

20 Apr 2016, 22:25 #1

I am 100% P&T Schedular and still work. I submitted my application through disabilitydischarge.com on 3/23/2016 and was approved for permenent discharge as of 4/19/2016. If you are P&T and have student loans I would urge you to submit your application or you may miss out on a potentially huge benefit.
Reply

Cavmedic
...
...
Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 06:19

21 Apr 2016, 00:28 #2

Interesting since you are working. Thought that was one of the things they look for. Dunno. Congrats.
Reply

Guest
Posts 0
Guest

21 Apr 2016, 00:49 #3

Cavmedic wrote:
Interesting since you are working. Thought that was one of the things they look for. Dunno. Congrats.
After reading the CFR a couple of times there are different requirements for those applying due to SDI with a physician statement and those applying with P&T disability from the VA. Another interesting point is if you are approved using VA P&T disability there is no three year income monitoring requirement either. After reading a bunch of posts here and then reading the regulation I decided to apply and see what happened. I am glad I applied.
Reply

Cavmedic
...
...
Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 06:19

21 Apr 2016, 01:02 #4

Crazy considering you probably have the best ability to pay your loans back.
Reply

Cavmedic
...
...
Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 06:19

21 Apr 2016, 01:04 #5

With CRDP, 100% VA, DoD retirement, and work income.
Reply

blackdogbarks
.
.
Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 00:13

21 Apr 2016, 01:41 #6

I don't get it, either. You have debts and you're working and getting compensated. But you don't want to pay your obligations?
Reply

ggold7211
.
.
Joined: 16 Jan 2003, 15:08

21 Apr 2016, 01:49 #7

I agree.
GG
67-68 VIETNAM
70-71 THAILAND
(One of the oldtimers here since 2002 and before)
(40 years of service to the USA)
Reply

Guest
Posts 0
Guest

21 Apr 2016, 02:22 #8

blackdogbarks wrote:
I don't get it, either. You have debts and you're working and getting compensated. But you don't want to pay your obligations?
Interesting logic as the obligation ended when I was approved. I did nothing illegal or unethical. I read the regulation, filled out the application and submitted it with my VA letter showing my 100% P&T. I am a bit perplexed as I was sharing information about a potienal and often overlooked benefit but then chastised for being approved. Based on this flawed logic maybe I should continue to pay my property tax, not apply for my national park pass or lifetime fishing license either because I can afford to pay for them as well? I should also pass on applying for free college based on my combat related disabilities for my children or chapter 35 benefits for them as well because I can afford to pay for it myself. Maybe I should just tell them I don't need my compensation either because I am not obligated to take that and it should go to someone more deserving.
Reply

nvx
.
.
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 23:19

21 Apr 2016, 02:44 #9

Congrats!! I submitted my application on on 4-16. I hope mine comes back as quick as yours!!
Reply

nvx
.
.
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 23:19

21 Apr 2016, 02:48 #10

Also... it also states that if you have paid more than 7 years on your student loan.. that is a "requirement" of getting it discharged. But, Ive been paying on mine for more than 27, years
Reply

nvx
.
.
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 23:19

21 Apr 2016, 02:52 #11

Wow.. I was just reading the other comments... why are you trolling on his approval? These forums are not for trolls. If you cant be happy for someone and have no basis's for your negative comments, just move on.. geez
Reply

Cruiser
.
.
Joined: 27 Nov 2003, 23:33

21 Apr 2016, 03:49 #12

Medic1sg wrote:
I did nothing illegal or unethical.   
I agree if what you say is true, at least as far as the "illegal" point.  I do think that it represents a flaw in the system, a loophole that needs to be closed; but I can't say that I fault you for taking advantage of it.  Whether or not it is ethical is debatable since it is common knowledge that the purpose of the loan forgiveness is to forgive loans to people who are disabled and unable to earn an income to repay the debt.  Clearly you aren't in that category.  I can see both sides.

Cruiser
Reply

candymanfb
.
.
Joined: 13 Aug 2012, 17:08

21 Apr 2016, 04:58 #13

Medic1Sg, Sometimes no good deed goes unpunished around here.

Everyone that is elible should apply, but not enough people know that they qualify. SSA will be working with the Department of Education to find people that qualify for the discharge ... Too bad they didn't implement this campaign for veterans through the VA also!

Congrats Medic1sg!!!


https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/gra ... ed-people/
100% Schedular - SMC (s)



Don't Ask For Permission,  Ask For Forgiveness
Reply

blackdogbarks
.
.
Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 00:13

21 Apr 2016, 08:21 #14

No trolling. You said you were working. Please see the following, especially paragraph (1) which is from the disabilitydis charge website:

How Do I Show That I’m Totally And Permanently Disabled?
Regardless of how you obtain a TPD discharge application, the information that you provide when you apply will assist the Department in determining if you qualify for discharge of your federal student loans and/or TEACH Grant service obligation on the basis of your total and permanent disability. You can show that you are totally and permanently disabled in one of the following three ways:
1 – If you are a veteran, you can submit documentation from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) showing that the VA has determined that you are unemployable due to a service-connected disability.

You're working.
Reply

Survivir
..
..
Joined: 13 Feb 2006, 12:50

21 Apr 2016, 09:42 #15

blackdogbarks wrote: No trolling. You said you were working. Please see the following, especially paragraph (1) which is from the disabilitydis charge website:

How Do I Show That I’m Totally And Permanently Disabled?
Regardless of how you obtain a TPD discharge application, the information that you provide when you apply will assist the Department in determining if you qualify for discharge of your federal student loans and/or TEACH Grant service obligation on the basis of your total and permanent disability. You can show that you are totally and permanently disabled in one of the following three ways:
1 – If you are a veteran, you can submit documentation from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) showing that the VA has determined that you are unemployable due to a service-connected disability.

You're working.
But...he is NOT rated TDIU. He is rated 100% P&T Scheduler. 

Many Veterans who are rated 100% P&T Scheduler...ARE Allowed to Work...if they are able to work.

Although I do NOT know the details of his Application. 


It seems to me, that they would not have approved it...if he was not qualified.


Lastly, just because someone is ELIGIBLE for a Benefit...does NOT mean that they must Deny themself the Benefit.


Survivir
What You Don't Know...Can NOT Help You...Until You Know It.
Reply

Guest
Posts 0
Guest

21 Apr 2016, 10:54 #16

blackdogbarks wrote:
No trolling. You said you were working. Please see the following, especially paragraph (1) which is from the disabilitydis charge website:

How Do I Show That I’m Totally And Permanently Disabled?
Regardless of how you obtain a TPD discharge application, the information that you provide when you apply will assist the Department in determining if you qualify for discharge of your federal student loans and/or TEACH Grant service obligation on the basis of your total and permanent disability. You can show that you are totally and permanently disabled in one of the following three ways:
1 – If you are a veteran, you can submit documentation from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) showing that the VA has determined that you are unemployable due to a service-connected disability.

You're working.
I am working, so what? You should spend some time reading regulation or maybe even the application because you don't understand what you wrote. So lets break it down so that it is easily understandable. First you have to understand that your definition of something may not be a correct interpretation of a definition of something from a federal agency. You actually have to read the federal agency definition of something in each part of the regulation because yet again the definition of something can and does change throughout a regulation or from agency to agency. Bottom line is you need to make sure you are reading and understanding the definition written by the agency and not whether you agree with it or think it is ethical. If you don't agree with it petition the agency to have it changed, but that is not the discussion here so lets stay on task. 

Apparently the DOE defines "unemployability" differently or better yet the documentation requirements to meet their definition of "unemployability" because on the first page of the application (and also written in the regulation), which is also why I tell you to read all of something and not what seems to fit your argument you find what documentation you need to submit to meet the DOE definition of "unemployability". 


I applied for this program under #1 which you so nicely quoted, but here it is again from the first page of the application - "To qualify for this discharge, you must meet one of the following requirements: 1. You are a veteran who has been determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to be unemployable due to a service-connected disability, and you provide documentation from the VA of that determination;" Now lets go a little further on the same page of the application and here are the documentation requirements to meet this requirement - "If you are a veteran applying for discharge under requirement #1, you must provide documentation from the VA showing that the VA has determined that you are unemployable due to a service-connected disability. You do not meet this requirement if your disability is not service-connected. The following two types of VA determinations meet this requirement: (1) a determination that you have a service-connected disability (or disabilities) that is 100% disabling; or (2) a determination that you are totally disabled based on an individual unemployability determination." I used VA determination number one (1) to meet the DOE requirement for applying for this benefit. This isn't up for interpretation because NO WHERE in the sentence does it say I have to be unemployable to meet the documentation requirements and further the application requirements for approval. This isn't ethically challenged either, why you ask, well because I used the regulation the way it was written (applied ethics) to my advantage.


So going back to flawed logic I really shouldn't be working because I am 100% P&T even though by regulation I can work because I am not IU. This isn't about how you feel about something it is about applying the law correctly. If you don't like the law (implementing regulation in this case), then change it. Don't personally attack someone for applying the regulation appropriately because you "feel" that it isn't how you would define something. 
Reply

Guest
Posts 0
Guest

21 Apr 2016, 11:48 #17

RmeGi7 wrote:
Congrats!! I submitted my application on on 4-16. I hope mine comes back as quick as yours!!
Thanks and I hope you get approved as well.
Reply

nvx
.
.
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 23:19

21 Apr 2016, 12:34 #18

Thanks Medic1SG. when I spoke to the student loan people, this was one of the things he sighted which you wrote above - "To qualify for this discharge, you must meet ONE" - key word = ONE / ONE / 1 of the following requirements.

When I applied for it.. like I said, I made SURE I told the loan representative what I was sending, matter of fact, the guy new exactly what I was getting ready to send and even told me what to look for on my VA letter before sending. Obviously it's an approved program and we CAN apply for it!!
Reply

runner1256
.
.
Joined: 20 Oct 2015, 15:38

21 Apr 2016, 12:35 #19

I glad you got your Student Loan Discharge Congrats

You must realize how lucky we get by having these student loan pay off. Student Loan were loan design for you to get an education, most employment come from that education. In most cases it would just be a regular loan, something you have to pay off.

By working and not paying them off to me is violating the spirit of the law it was design to do. Take responsibility for your active you borrow it paid off if you can.
Reply

nvx
.
.
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 23:19

21 Apr 2016, 13:03 #20

wow.. this will be last time I will say anything here.. @runner1256, with what you just wrote above, I might as well not take advantage of the my homestead tax or tax exemption in my state.

@Medic1sg - one last time, congrats to you. I would delete this post if I could. comments are just very sad here... so sad. No help to the cause at all. wow.
Reply

MACMACred1
...
...
Joined: 14 Feb 2013, 19:21

21 Apr 2016, 13:19 #21

I'm lost now, I tried to read what Medic1SG posted in post number #15 and maybe I'm missing something. He stated that no where does it say he has to be unemployable, but I put in bold where it does say you must be unemployable. As we are know just because your rated 100% does not mean your unemployable. Some I can see where other might question this but they approved you and you can afford to pay the taxes on the discharge.


I applied for this program under #1 which you so nicely quoted, but here it is again from the first page of the application - "To qualify for this discharge, you must meet one of the following requirements: 1. You are a veteran who has been determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to be unemployable due to a service-connected disability, and you provide documentation from the VA of that determination;" Now lets go a little further on the same page of the application and here are the documentation requirements to meet this requirement - "If you are a veteran applying for discharge under requirement #1, you must provide documentation from the VA showing that the VA has determined that you are unemployable due to a service-connected disability. You do not meet this requirement if your disability is not service-connected. The following two types of VA determinations meet this requirement: (1) a determination that you have a service-connected disability (or disabilities) that is 100% disabling; or (2) a determination that you are totally disabled based on an individual unemployability determination." I used VA determination number one (1) to meet the DOE requirement for applying for this benefit. This isn't up for interpretation because NO WHERE in the sentence does it say I have to be unemployable to meet the documentation requirements and further the application requirements for approval. This isn't ethically challenged either, why you ask, well because I used the regulation the way it was written (applied ethics) to my advantage
Reply

armycibvet12
.
.
Joined: 03 Dec 2015, 01:33

21 Apr 2016, 13:20 #22

Dont worry Medic you will always have haters on here. Good for you.
Reply

Cavmedic
...
...
Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 06:19

21 Apr 2016, 13:33 #23

Point is being missed here. Cruiser did a good job of writing what I was thinking. Everyone is well aware of the provisions and elibiligity requirements. But we also or should be aware, the reasons for the discharge program: To relive debt from total and permanently disabled people that cannot maintain substantial employment. Having to pay the student debt would create a hardship. I know it, we know it, and you should know it. Anyway, that education get you promoted? Land the job you have now? Have anything to do with the money you are bringing in? Probably. This type of thing is what bothers me the most when I read it here. Some vets just lose all sense of integrity. Whether it be some claim when they can't walk at a C+P exam after mowing their yard the day before or what have you. Guess claiming insolvent for tax bill will come too. Good you got your loans discharged. Way to stick it to the taxpayers even though you are taking home probably more than most. I am sure they would approve of getting you what you want and need but when it's time to repay so someone can have a chance...ain't happening.
Reply

Cavmedic
...
...
Joined: 13 Aug 2009, 06:19

21 Apr 2016, 13:35 #24

"Haters" I doubt that, just people that don't do everything they can to get over on the system. That money comes from somewhere and I didn't think you had to turn in your honor and integrity when signing out of the service.
Reply

MACMACred1
...
...
Joined: 14 Feb 2013, 19:21

21 Apr 2016, 14:21 #25

Why it is that the ones calling others "Haters" are the one living in that gray area also known as loophole land?????
Reply

nvx
.
.
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 23:19

21 Apr 2016, 14:52 #26

I'm done here with the entire forums.. this is not what I expected from other Vets
Reply

bigcountry
.
.
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 03:11

21 Apr 2016, 14:59 #27

not to change the subject but it reminded me of the $10,000 life insurance policy for P&T vets.  Your disabilities have to make you unemployable to get the insurance.

bc
Reply

armycibvet12
.
.
Joined: 03 Dec 2015, 01:33

21 Apr 2016, 15:58 #28

what is loophole land? following what the law and regulations of the VA say is not a loophole by any means whether you agree with them or not. If there is a "loophole" get congress to change the law dont get smart and degrade veterans for using the benefits they are entitled too. This country gives trillions of dollars of my hard earned money to countries that hate us (I actually pay taxes) I dont care if a veteran wants his student loans forgiven for being 100%PT. Good for him this country should give more money to its veterans in every way possible.
Reply

MACMACred1
...
...
Joined: 14 Feb 2013, 19:21

21 Apr 2016, 16:14 #29

You not worth a comment.
Reply

nvx
.
.
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 23:19

21 Apr 2016, 17:19 #30

MACMACred1 / Cavmedic = Trolls
Reply

nvx
.
.
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 23:19

21 Apr 2016, 17:21 #31

Sorry.. this is so sad
Reply

MACMACred1
...
...
Joined: 14 Feb 2013, 19:21

21 Apr 2016, 17:33 #32

Why did you call me a troll, did I hurt your feeling? Show me were I called you out? You called a few vets on here troll last night and not one of them attacked you. I would say you owe me an apology but I won't hold my breath.
Reply

nvx
.
.
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 23:19

21 Apr 2016, 17:43 #33

@MACMACred1 - I'm sorry...

here is the thing..once this my forum settings update in 24hrs, I am out of here. Live your life and dont be happy for other Vets..
Reply

NavyDiver
.
.
Joined: 15 Nov 2014, 19:20

22 Apr 2016, 16:04 #34

Post's like this are a good thing I believe.

Ultimately only we can police our community, I have never in my lifetime seen the US citizens take such pride in helping veterans. The benefits we recieve like student loan discharge are only happening because of this support from the citizens of this country, truly. We should be both helpful to our brothers and sisters yet be vigilant for anyone who would abuse them.

The funny thing is a large portion of US military service personal are honorable and trustworthy.

But there is a not so small subculture in the military that are not, seems everyone likes to forget about them. Anyone that has served in the military know them by terms: skaters, slackers... and other names. But it seems when a person transitions to a vet, every vet is a upstanding honorable person. Great! Everyone should get a chance for change but to forget that there are people in our community who would take advantage of the system and not try to point out the potential for abuse... Is just plain wrong.

I am not by any means pointing a finger at anyone in this post, because I don't know any of you personally so I tread lightly when judging. But these post should serve to warn gamers that it will not be tolerated.

Felt I needed to state my opinion because I think people can forget the benefit of this post just exsisting.
Reply

Chrbrnrngr
.
.
Joined: 06 May 2015, 22:37

22 Apr 2016, 16:42 #35

The life insurance waiver is different. The Unemployability is based on insurance agency policy.  I received a waiver @ 90%. Now @ IU, the waiver continues.
Reply

FranklinJ
.
.
Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 13:07

26 Apr 2016, 07:53 #36

My view:

If you are rated 100% P&T then you deserve to catch a break. Congratulations on the loan discharge and spend that money on yourself/your family, and thank you for your service and sacrifice.
Reply

ScottNavy
.
.
Joined: 14 Jun 2014, 22:16

29 Apr 2016, 17:53 #37

My understanding is that with a student loan discharge you have to pay income tax on the forgiven amount, all due in the tax for the calendar year the forgiveness occurred in. For someone who is working full time that might be quite a bit of money!

Scott
Reply

qwerty68
.
.
Joined: 02 Jan 2016, 06:14

13 May 2016, 17:30 #38

ScottNavy wrote:
My understanding is that with a student loan discharge you have to pay income tax on the forgiven amount, all due in the tax for the calendar year the forgiveness occurred in. For someone who is working full time that might be quite a bit of money!

Scott
That is correct. For a program designed to help out disabled people, it sure stings! It doesn't matter if you are working full-time or on $700 a month SSDI, you owe those taxes on the amount discharged.

I just got 100% P&T and will not be applying for student loan forgiveness because the tax burden would kill me. I prefer to owe Navient instead of the IRS.

What I did was apply for income-driven repayment plans. Those are based on adjusted gross income, so VA disability payments are excluded. Until I get to the point of being able to work, my payments are $0.00 a month, I even have auto-pay setup so I get a 0.25% interest rate discount, the Navient rep gave me that advice. If I remember correctly, interest is accrued but is not compounded with these plans, which saves a ton a money. The max payment would be 15% based off of my AGI that is above the poverty limit. So it will never turn into a crushing debt.

After 25 years in the program any remaining debt is discharged, and then that amount becomes taxable income, so at worse I am kicking the can down the road if I am unable to repay it in full. In my opinion it is the better way to go unless you can in fact afford the taxes from the discharge. Hopefully, future congress-critters will figure out the insanity and cruelty of making disability based discharges taxable income. It is not so bad with VA 100%, depending on the amount discharged, but I know people whose only income is SSDI and they have student debt and a disability discharge would crush them, so I don't know how the feds think this is helpful. These income-driven plans are diety-sent.

Hope this adds something to the discussion.
100% P&T Army and Coast Guard Vet
SMC-S
Reply

candymanfb
.
.
Joined: 13 Aug 2012, 17:08

15 May 2016, 00:46 #39

I wouldn't apply for forgiveness if my income based payment amount was $0.00, but there are ways to not have to pay taxes on the student loans being forgiven. In my opinion, I would rather pay the taxes on 100k than continue to make student loan payments - if I didn't qualify for a tax waiver/exception via insolvency. If your debts are more than your assets you pay no taxes on the forgiveness amount. Everyone's situation is unique and each should get professional advice when dealing with taxes.
100% Schedular - SMC (s)



Don't Ask For Permission,  Ask For Forgiveness
Reply

babybear77
.
.
Joined: 11 Sep 2014, 14:32

19 May 2016, 17:29 #40

FYI: Not sure if you know this or not, but you will have to pay taxes on the discharged amount of the loan for the tax year that the loan was discharged.
Reply