How to get a GW exam?

How to get a GW exam?

chief915ky
.
.
Joined: 28 Jul 2017, 05:31

31 Jul 2017, 17:53 #1

I'm rated at 70% already for other issues and just recently began learning about the GWI. I have a lot of symptoms (joint pain, fatigue, rashes, memory loss, etc) which I went to the Dr for while in service, but no diagnosis was ever made. They did many labs, sent me to specialists, bone scans, x-rays, etc.....which is all documented in my records....over a two year period at the end of my service.

So I figured I need to get a GWI exam and see where that leads..... There's the problem.....

I began by calling my local "Enviornmental Health Coordinator", as it says to do online, early last week. They didn't answer, I left a message and hadn't heard back from them by Thursday.....and still haven't as of this writing.

Thursday, I sent a message to my VA health team through the secure messaging feature on ebenefits - I didn't receive an answer after 24 hours, so I moved on.

I called the local VA Hospital in Louisville - They tell me they don't schedule it and I need to talk to the Regional VA office.

I called the VA Regional Office - They tell me they don't schedule it either and that I need call the Hospital and ask to speak to the Patient Advocate to figure it all out.

Today, the health team messaged me back and said that the doctor wants me to call the Regional Office and schedule the GW exam.

I called the patient advocate - No answer, I left a message for them to call me back.



Does anyone know who I need to talk to in order to get this scheduled?
 
Last edited by chief915ky on 31 Jul 2017, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reply

Kassidyreign
.
.
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 13:32

31 Jul 2017, 20:12 #2

chief915ky wrote:
I'm rated at 70% already for other issues and just recently began learning about the GWI. I have a lot of symptoms (joint pain, fatigue, rashes, memory loss, etc) which I went to the Dr for while in service, but no diagnosis was ever made. They did many labs, sent me to specialists, bone scans, x-rays, etc.....which is all documented in my records....over a two year period at the end of my service.

So I figured I need to get a GWI exam and see where that leads..... There's the problem.....

I began by calling my local "Enviornmental Health Coordinator", as it says to do online, last week. They didn't answer, I left a message and hadn't heard back from them by Thursday.

Thursday, I sent a message to my VA health team through the secure messaging feature on ebenefits - I didn't receive an answer after 24 hours, so I moved on.

I called the local VA Hospital in Louisville - They tell me they don't schedule it and I need to talk to the Regional VA office.

I called the VA Regional Office - They tell me they don't schedule it either and that I need call the Hospital and ask to speak to the Patient Advocate to figure it all out.

Today, the health team messaged me back and said that the doctor wants me to call the Regional Office and schedule the GW exam.

I called the patient advocate - No answer, I left a message for them to call me back.



Does anyone know who I need to talk to in order to get this scheduled?

 
You complete the gulf war registry , if you'd stated during the questions, you have. Concerns regarding your health, an appointment will be made for you, and you WAIT, it's not an instantaneous appointment, it can take a few months 
Reply

chief915ky
.
.
Joined: 28 Jul 2017, 05:31

31 Jul 2017, 21:18 #3

Kassidyreign wrote:
chief915ky wrote:
I'm rated at 70% already for other issues and just recently began learning about the GWI. I have a lot of symptoms (joint pain, fatigue, rashes, memory loss, etc) which I went to the Dr for while in service, but no diagnosis was ever made. They did many labs, sent me to specialists, bone scans, x-rays, etc.....which is all documented in my records....over a two year period at the end of my service.

So I figured I need to get a GWI exam and see where that leads..... There's the problem.....

I began by calling my local "Enviornmental Health Coordinator", as it says to do online, last week. They didn't answer, I left a message and hadn't heard back from them by Thursday.

Thursday, I sent a message to my VA health team through the secure messaging feature on ebenefits - I didn't receive an answer after 24 hours, so I moved on.

I called the local VA Hospital in Louisville - They tell me they don't schedule it and I need to talk to the Regional VA office.

I called the VA Regional Office - They tell me they don't schedule it either and that I need call the Hospital and ask to speak to the Patient Advocate to figure it all out.

Today, the health team messaged me back and said that the doctor wants me to call the Regional Office and schedule the GW exam.

I called the patient advocate - No answer, I left a message for them to call me back.



Does anyone know who I need to talk to in order to get this scheduled?


 
You complete the gulf war registry , if you'd stated during the questions, you have. Concerns regarding your health, an appointment will be made for you, and you WAIT, it's not an instantaneous appointment, it can take a few months 
Can you point me in the direction of this "gulf war registry" that you speak of? I can't seem to find anything about it...... I found the burn pit registry..... from my understanding that's a totally seperate issue from the gulf war illness/exam. 

As to your second point, I don't recall saying that I expected/demanded/wanted an instantaneous appointment...... can you show me where I did? I said I'd like to find the person that says "Yes, I can schedule that exam for you", and yes, I'd like to find that person soon. As far as the actual exam, I'll take the next available, even it if's a month or two down the road. 


Other than that, thanks for your help


 
Reply

Kassidyreign
.
.
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 13:32

31 Jul 2017, 21:51 #4

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposur ... y-exam.asp



Google may be your biggest asset - better yet, most hospitals have a gulf war registry right in the hospital, all you have to do is ask the volunteers at the information desk
Reply

MACMACred1
...
...
Joined: 14 Feb 2013, 19:21

31 Jul 2017, 23:27 #5

Surprise this was not covered during your TAP briefing, we set aside an hour for discussion on Gulf War Register and VSO's also touch on it.
Reply

chief915ky
.
.
Joined: 28 Jul 2017, 05:31

01 Aug 2017, 01:15 #6

MACMACred1 wrote:
Surprise this was not covered during your TAP briefing, we set aside an hour for discussion on Gulf War Register and VSO's also touch on it.
I don't remember anything about it coming up.... They talked about benefits in general, the BDD program, helped us sign up for ebenefits accounts, etc.....but that was about it. 
Reply

Dburns007
.
.
Joined: 07 Feb 2016, 00:59

01 Aug 2017, 01:33 #7

Kassidy- I am not that familiar with the registry and don't see anywhere to complete the registry. When I pulled up the link you provided it just gives the contact numbers and e-mail addresses. And it sounds like he already has done that and is getting nowhere. Perhaps this is what chief915ky is referring to.
100% Scheduler/SMC
100% PTSD
30% Vertigo
30% IBS
10% Tinnitus
U.S. Air Force 1987 - 2013

"I told my psychiatrist I have been hearing voices. My psychiatrist told me 'You don't have a psychiatrist'."
Reply

chief915ky
.
.
Joined: 28 Jul 2017, 05:31

01 Aug 2017, 02:10 #8

Dburns007 wrote:
Kassidy- I am not that familiar with the registry and don't see anywhere to complete the registry. When I pulled up the link you provided it just gives the contact numbers and e-mail addresses. And it sounds like he already has done that and is getting nowhere. Perhaps this is what chief915ky is referring to.
Indeed Image  That's exactly what I'm talking about. 
Last edited by chief915ky on 01 Aug 2017, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reply

Bkydtravel
.
.
Joined: 22 Feb 2017, 16:06

03 Aug 2017, 04:00 #9

where are you located most VAMC will have a gw registry POC ours is in with the C&P area.
Reply

chief915ky
.
.
Joined: 28 Jul 2017, 05:31

03 Aug 2017, 04:58 #10

Bkydtravel wrote:
where are you located most VAMC will have a gw registry POC ours is in with the C&P area.
Kentucky..... I found the POC contact info for the Louisville office, which is closest to me, easily. The issue is that I've called and left voice mails and sent emails to that POC and haven't gotten any response at all in over a week. I also called the patient advocate to see if they could help, had to leave a message there as well, and again I haven't gotten a call returned from them either. 


Yesterday, I emailed the Lexington POC and she called me today. Very nice and helpful lady, she said that she'd be happy to help me and apologized for the Louisville mess. She said that she actually hears that same story often....... Looks like I'll have to drive about twice as far, but at least I'm making progress.... that's something Image

   
Reply

mtcdave
.
.
Joined: 27 Jun 2017, 20:54

03 Aug 2017, 13:05 #11

When i first enrolled with the VA about a month ago, they set it up for me. I then had to go to the C&P desk on the 4th floor to get a questionaire. It was initially scheduled for Apr 2018. A couple of weeks later i got a call from the person at the C&P desk that they
had an opening on July 29. When i got there on the morning of the appt, she told me that they were starting to bring more people for the exam sooner than later. She didn't give much more detail. This was at the VA here in houston, Michael E Debakey Med Center.
I'm sure if you call the C&P office/front desk they can help.
Reply

chief915ky
.
.
Joined: 28 Jul 2017, 05:31

04 Aug 2017, 03:53 #12

Well, persistence has paid off..... A very nice and helpful environmental health coordinator in Lexington, KY has helped me get everything squared away and I'm scheduled for my GW exam Tuesday, Aug 8th.


As of now, I still haven't received a reply to either voice mail or email from the EHC or the Patient Advocate at the Louisville VAMC.
Reply

Dburns007
.
.
Joined: 07 Feb 2016, 00:59

05 Aug 2017, 01:19 #13

Chief915ky-
Thanks for the update. Good information to know.
100% Scheduler/SMC
100% PTSD
30% Vertigo
30% IBS
10% Tinnitus
U.S. Air Force 1987 - 2013

"I told my psychiatrist I have been hearing voices. My psychiatrist told me 'You don't have a psychiatrist'."
Reply

pgwvet
h3
h3
Joined: 08 Jun 2008, 00:42

08 Aug 2017, 17:10 #14

chief915ky wrote:
Well, persistence has paid off..... A very nice and helpful environmental health coordinator in Lexington, KY has helped me get everything squared away and I'm scheduled for my GW exam Tuesday, Aug 8th.


As of now, I still haven't received a reply to either voice mail or email from the EHC or the Patient Advocate at the Louisville VAMC.
KY is one of the worse states for doing a GWI claim in.
James A. Bunker
Executive Director
National Gulf War Resource Center
1725 SW Gage Blvd.
2nd Floor #200
Topeka, KS 66604
Gulf War Illness Guide
http://kansasvets.org
Like us on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/ngwrc
HTTP://WWW.NGWRC.ORG
Reply

chief915ky
.
.
Joined: 28 Jul 2017, 05:31

08 Aug 2017, 19:20 #15

pgwvet wrote:
chief915ky wrote:Well, persistence has paid off..... A very nice and helpful environmental health coordinator in Lexington, KY has helped me get everything squared away and I'm scheduled for my GW exam Tuesday, Aug 8th.



As of now, I still haven't received a reply to either voice mail or email from the EHC or the Patient Advocate at the Louisville VAMC.
KY is one of the worse states for doing a GWI claim in.
If you go through the Louisivlle hospital, yes.

My experience with the Lexington VA Hospital has been absolutely excellent up to this point. My initial attempt at contact with them for the GW Exam was sent to them through email, they replied in less than 24 hours with a phone call from the specific lady that I needed to talk to. She was extremely patient and helpful in explaining the process and what I needed to do in order to get the exam there, since it's not my "primary" facility and the Louisvile hospital had me "locked" in their system. I attempted to do my part, as she instructed, and emailed her to tell her that I had made the call and requested the changes. She emailed me again the next day to inform me that the change had not been made in the system yet and that she was taking the matter into her own hands to get the changes done ASAP. By the next business day, the changes were made and she was calling me to schedule the exam. This was a Thursday afternoon, the first available exam was the following Tuesday morning and any Tuesday or Thursday their after. 

I went for the exam this morning, and was very pleasently surprised. Friendly and helpful staff, a very short wait in the waiting room, the doctor came and got me from the waiting room himself and was there until the end of the exam, no one was "in a hurry" to get done and rush me out of there. They listened to everything I had to say and talked to me like a member of the family rather than a pesant who was taking up their valuable time lol.  

The actual exam itself was different than what I expected it to be..... That's probably my fault more than theirs. It was basically me providing a current health assessment from my veiwpoint to them to be plugged into a database for "research purposes". The doctor ask my many questions.... how do you rate your health, how do you feel, do you have any issues, have you had children since your GW deployements, did they have any birth defects, etc. As far as checking into any problems I presented, scheduling further tests or exams for those problems, etc..... none of that happened. That all must be done through your primary care Dr. He said this exam wouldn't be helpful or carry weight for claim purposes because it was just me telling them what my symptoms were, no testing, diagnosis, Dr opinions, etc was involved.


All in all, I'm extremely happy with the Lexington VA and the interactions I've had with them.


The Louisville VA, not so much. Still haven't received any reply to any voicemail or email that I've left with anyone at the Louisville location. 

Reply

lizerd
.
.
Joined: 25 Jan 2015, 04:56

10 Nov 2017, 19:43 #16

First I am hearing of this as well. I only retired a year ago.
Reply

jjpurcell70
.
.
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 03:22

11 Nov 2017, 00:18 #17

Anything concerning Louisville VA is piss poor imo. Marion Illinois VA not much better.
Reply

pgwvet
h3
h3
Joined: 08 Jun 2008, 00:42

13 Nov 2017, 21:45 #18

The Gulf War exams are poor in many places and the new guidelines are not followed. We knew this as many of the VAMC's did not follow the old guidelines.  After talks and a test run to see, the VA central office is working to get everyone on the same page. There will be a meeting / training for everyone coming soon. So wait until about 8-2018 for your exam.
James A. Bunker
Executive Director
National Gulf War Resource Center
1725 SW Gage Blvd.
2nd Floor #200
Topeka, KS 66604
Gulf War Illness Guide
http://kansasvets.org
Like us on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/ngwrc
HTTP://WWW.NGWRC.ORG
Reply