Little Lost Wagon

Ferret
Weyrling
Weyrling
Ferret
Weyrling
Weyrling

November 8th, 2014, 6:29 am #1

It really is quite beautiful out here. Look at the way the sun glimmers over the sands. And did you see all the colors? It's like a painting, Sarath mused. She craned her neck as the pair soared over the desert. With the heat rising off the sands, the Green barely even needed to flap her wings to stay aloft. Even this early in the morning, the desert was a harsh land. It tolerated even fewer mistakes than even the strictest teacher. Even a master of a craft wouldn't kill over a mistake.

It all looks the same to me, N'vor said, squinting and shielding his eyes as he looked for what they'd been sent to find. Yes, the desert was indeed harsh. Sometimes, people didn't make it all the way across.

The Green huffed under him. How like a human! I can't believe you don't see the beauty out here. Look beyond what is efficient for humans and look at what's really there! Look at the plants! Even out here, life finds a way. How can you not find that be---

No, I mean I have sand in my eyes and I can't see anything. It all looks the same.

...you could have just said that instead.

Yeah, but this is much funnier.

N'vor, I believe you are what humans refer to as 'a dick'. But, since her human was blinded----either by the gorgeous landscape or the sand itself----Sarath made another pass. Last night, a caravan had arrived at the Weyr. Or, rather, most of a caravan had arrived: they had been forced to leave one of their wagons behind after a wheel broke and they had no way to repair it. It was somewhere out in the sands, laden with valuable rations and resources. N'vor, for one, had no plans of letting the holdless take it.

When N'vor first heard of the desert, he imagined an endless expanse of shifting sands. And, for the most part, that was true. What he hadn't expected were the sharp stabs of rock jutting through the land like teeth. Or the hard baked clay that made up much of the road. Oh, and the heat. It was one thing to expect the heat. It was another thing entirely to actually feel it hitting down on them with an almost palpable force. And it wasn't even noon yet! Rukbat had just barely risen and was only getting started.

We better find the lost wagon soon, or else we'll have to turn back.
|X| Oren of Brown Orensk (#684045) Green Trouble
|X| T'vet of Beryllium Belrodoth [color=BB6622](BB6622)[/color] and Green firelizard Miss Bossybritches
|X| Zoriah - Candidate
|X| N'vor of Green Sarath #2D5B1E

Synn Fetale
Weyrling
Weyrling

November 10th, 2014, 6:14 pm #2

Soaring over a sea of golden, glimmering sand, Kizelth snorted. She and her rider were not so impressed with the beautiful day sprawling before them. Instead, they were complaining.

How come we have to help find the stupid wagon? We weren’t the sharding dimglows who left it out here. Ni’ka whined privately to her dragon. Normally, she preferred talking out loud. But whilst in flight she found it simpler to commune through their telepathic link. Wind had a nasty habit of snatching sound away as it left her mouth. Shards! This isn’t fair!

[color=6CBB3C] No, it isn’t. If the merchants want their wagon back so bad they should be out here looking for it, not us. I say if we find it we ought to bury it so it can never be found. Then, once they leave, we can come back and loot it. [/color]

Kizelth! You are a GENIUS! I love you! Ni’ka whooped aloud, suddenly extremely eager to find the missing wagon. I’ll bet I could finally afford to buy that pretty green tunic I’ve been wanting with the profits we’ll make!

Kizelth buggled loudly, the same eager excitement coursing through her veins as through her rider’s. She swept her wings powerfully and gained altitude. The green leveled out just below where clouds would hang if the vaporous formations had the ability to strive under Vaioa’s harsh sun. Then, she glided and dipped her head low, red eyes searching vigorously for the abandoned wagon.

Ni’ka gripped her riding straps and leaned to the side to peer at the landscape below them. At this altitude it was more difficult for her human eyes to make out specific details on the ground, but she could still detect an entire wagon, she was sure. Behind her goggles, she squinted her eyes and searched with great conviction.

After a short while Kizelth spotted a form looming beneath them. The other green was large, much like she was, but Kizelth did not recognize her. [color=6CBB3C] Hmm, they could be trouble. By what the travelers said, the wagon should be in this area… I doubt they will want to go along with our little plan. [/color]

Ni’ka shifted to look over the other side of her dragon’s neck and instantly spotted the lower flying pair. The other green was beautiful. Yeah, you might be right. Maybe we should cut them off.

[color=6CBB3C] I’m way ahead of you. [/color] Kizelth silently tucked her wings and began lancing toward the other green. She wrinkled her nose, slightly saddened by the fact that this other green was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Of course, she did not intend to hurt the stranger. Merely, she meant to distract them and lead them away from this particular search vector.

Ni’ka’s knuckles went white as her grip on her leather straps tightened. She flattened her small frame against her dragons neck as they dove. Wind whipped wildly around her and she felt a few flecks of air-borne sand sting her unprotected cheeks. Her heart beat quickened and she felt adrenalin course through her. Their target was rapidly approaching.

Kizelth roared loudly as she zipped by the other green. She passed right in front of the stranger and let the tips of her tail fork catch the other’s nose ever so slightly to get her attention. Then, she snapped open her wings and swooped up and away.

“Woohoo!” Ni’ka cheered loudly, throwing a fist into the air as she twisted and looked back at the other greenpair. “Come get us, you tailforks!”

(Ni'ka and Kizelth are kinda trouble makers, haha. Let me know though if you don't like this post. I could totally tweak it :))
Signature is victim of The Photoshop Implosion of 2017! Contact an admin to recover your coding

Ferret
Weyrling
Weyrling
Ferret
Weyrling
Weyrling

November 13th, 2014, 3:16 am #3

“Rrrnk!” Out of all the possible noises that a dragon could make, Sarath just had to make the one that sounded like a cross between a three-legged herdbeast and a fart as something suddenly darted over her. Surprised, she turned whirling red eyes towards the stranger. How dare they! N'vor, they've issued a challenge! We must accept or else we'll lose our place in the hierarchy! We're already low enough as it is!

Challenge? What? They haven't done anything except try to race us! We're not out here to race, we're here to find a wago--- what are you even talking about? We don't even have a place in the hierarchy!

See?! They've already usurped us! And they're barely away from their broodmothers too! Sarath squinted through the whipping sands, but she was certain that the other Green was a young one and her rider (by human standards) was even younger. We are not going to let a pair of hatchlings beat us! Think of how it would look to the Weyr! We've only just transferred here...

The dragon surged forward, wings beating powerfully and kicking up sand all around as she tried to overtake the younger Green. This would have been a lot easier if N'vor agreed with her plans. No! he said, trying to pull Sarath back to their duties. Ignore them. They're just trying to play---

You're not the one who got his nose flicked!

I don't care who flicked your nose! I care about finding that wag---- hey, wait... N'vor joined the squinting brigade as he leaned over the side of his dragon. There! It whipped past in a blur of brown, but against the stark golden, it was obvious. Sarath quickly switched paths back towards the lost wagon. Sand flew up around her as she landed in an ungainly heap. “Rnk!” she honked again as she tried to find her footing on unfamiliar territory.
|X| T'vet of Beryllium Belrodoth [color=BB6622](BB6622)[/color] and Green firelizard Miss Bossybritches
|X| Zoriah - Candidate

Synn Fetale
Weyrling
Weyrling

November 13th, 2014, 8:10 pm #4

“It’s working!” Ni’ka called against the wind as she peered over her shoulder at their pursuers. She was practically vibrating in her saddle with excitement. “Fly faster! Fly faster, Kizelth!”

[color=6CBB3C] I don’t want to fly too fast! They need to think they have a chance of catching us if we want them to continue chasing us. [/color] Kizelth chanced a look back also, her long serpentine neck bending eloquently into a u shape. [color=6CBB3C] Yes. This is a good speed. Not too fast, not too slow. [/color]

Ni’ka nodded, once again impressed with her dragon’s logic. Smart girl! She then focused her attention forward as Kizelth carried them higher into the sky. They would find the treasure filled wagon after leading these two on a wild goose chase! We’ll be rich!

But then, to Kizelth’s puzzlement, the other green pair dropped away suddenly. Her keen eyes, whirling red as usual, calculated and preceded their projected path. She spotted the wagon far below before the others managed to land by it.

[color=6CBB3C] Shards! [/color] She screamed, roaring in frustration as she sharply folded her wings and dipped into a speedy dive. She wouldn't be able to beat them there, but she wouldn't be far behind.

Ni’ka, thus far unaware something was amiss, gasped as she was jarred by the harsh movements of her dragon. She clung tight, however, and managed not to have to rely on the safety harnesses. “Whoa! What??” she cried, but her question did not need an answer. She saw what the problem was just as soon as they entered the dive. “Shards!” she shouted, mimicking her dragon’s thoughts. What are we gonna do now?

[color=6CBB3C] We have two options: one, we convince them to go along with our plan and split the profits; or two, we forget about our plan and return the wagon. [/color] The second plan was laced with distaste.

I’ll prep a convincing speech, then! Ni’ka figured convincing them wouldn’t be too difficult. Who wouldn't jump at the chance to make a mark or two?

The ground rushed up to meet them. Kizelth roared again, splaying her wings and straining against gravity for an excruciating moment before properly alighting on the sands near the wagon. Her wing strokes stirred up sand and for a moment the pair was completely enveloped in dust. Kizelth lowered her water-lids to protect her eyes and Ni’ka used the brown scarf tied around her neck to protect her mouth and nose.

By the time the dust settled Ni’ka had unhooked herself from her harness and slid off her dragon. She pulled off her helmet and goggles, letting her long blond hair spill around her shoulders in a messy fashion. Then, securing her helmet under an arm, she strode forward toward the wagon. She put a hand on one of its wheels, but her bright eyes were cautiously fixated on the strangers. If they were honor bound goody two shoes there would be no convincing them and letting them in on their plans could result in punishment. But Ni’ka and Kizelth were used to most punishments, so she threw caution to the wind.

“Hey!” she greeted with a sales-woman confident smile flashing at the other dragon and rider. “Name’s Ni’ka and this is my Kizelth. How would you two like to be rich?”

Kizelth lowered and raised her head, not sure if showing dominance or submission was her best course of action. She was nervous for her rider and she strode forward to stand over her and the wagon protectively. [color=6CBB3C] A catching opener, no doubt. Surely they will be interested in what you have to say… [/color]
Signature is victim of The Photoshop Implosion of 2017! Contact an admin to recover your coding

Ferret
Weyrling
Weyrling
Ferret
Weyrling
Weyrling

November 15th, 2014, 11:17 am #5

Someone seems to be kicking up an awful lot of fuss, Sarath noted as the younger dragon started roaring like a wher with a trapped tail. As soon as N'vor slid down from her back, the Green sat up and attempted to groom herself free of the sand. Ugh! Her nose wrinkled slightly and she shook herself off; it was a useless gesture. As soon as the sand was gone, more grains were there to replace them, like a very, very ineffective hydra. Made of sand.

Oh, probably just angry because we're not playing. N'vor brushed himself off with similar results. The only thing it seemed to achieve was emptying out space for more sand to cling to, like undesirable tenants. If he tried to fluff out his hair, he was pretty sure he'd discover a whole new desert, a fact not helped by the whirling sands kicked up by the other Green's landing. Maybe we'll race them back to the Weyr, alright?

It was a good thing they hadn't been racing to the wagon itself, because the other rider beat N'vor by a mile. While he was still fighting a losing battle against the sand, she had already run up and put a hand on one of the broken wheels. Alright, fine. If she wanted so badly to be first... N'vor kept a cautious eye on Sarath, knowing full and well how the Green felt about challenges. Her tail twitched and her eyes narrowed, but she seemed to be behaving herself. For now.

Impudent children... she murmured to her rider. How did they beat us here anyway? We should have touched down first!

Yeah, well, we didn't. Now we can stand around all day arguing about what should be, or we can go ahead with what we can do. He shook his hair free of the goggles and held up a hand to greet the other Greenrider but---

See?! They are even beating us with greetings!

Nothing to get worked up over, Sarath.

“Well, I can't say I wouldn't mind i---”

What is rich?. Sarath broadcasted the question to everyone present. While her voice had been full of annoyance before, now Sarath's tone held nothing but curiosity. Food could be rich, she faintly remembered hearing N'vor describe a particular cake as rich. It sounded interesting. Was there food here? She turned an eye back to the stuck wagon.

“Don't mind her. Ah. Yes. Introductions. Always a good way to start off conversations... I'm N'vor and the curious one is Sarath. She doesn't get human things really. Now, let's see what we've been risking life and limb for.”

You've been flying. No need to be so dramatic about it. Dragons couldn't quite roll their eyes, but Sarath gave it a go.

N'vor ignored her and lifted up the tarp that covered the wagon's treasures. “Oh, iron. Or... some other sort of metal... thing... I can see why they didn't try to just carry it on other wagons then.”
|X| Zoriah - Candidate

Synn Fetale
Weyrling
Weyrling

November 18th, 2014, 5:17 pm #6

Iron! Metals! Was that fire stone?! Ni’ka’s green eyes practically glowed as maniacal ideas sparked in her mind. She stood on her tip toes, peering over the side of the wagon and nearly drooled over the revealed goods. Just think what we could do with a private stock of fire stone! And metal! That’ll fetch a fair price!

Kizelth, also enthralled, kneaded her claws into the sand and trilled happily. Her joy, however, was cut short and replaced quickly by annoyance. [color=6CBB3C] This should all be ours! [/color] she thought, growling lowly as her eyes went red with greed. Tail flicking irritably; she scrutinized the other green pair. [color=6CBB3C] Since this was our brilliant plan, you should only offer them a quarter of the profits. They do not deserve half. [/color]

Ni’ka, standing once more on the flats of her feet, looked back to her dragon and shook her head slightly, But they’d be less likely to go for it then! Come on, there is plenty here to share.

With a snort, the young green relented and sat on her haunches to brood in stubborn silence.

“Rich!” Ni’ka exclaimed, turning back to the man and his dragon with a showy wave of her hand. “Rich is power, Sarath! Rich means getting what you want! It means answering to no one and doing what you want when you want!” The young green rider sat her leather cap down on the sand near the wagon wheel and looked up at N’vor seriously. “Rich could mean…” she stepped closer, pausing dramatically, “…freedom

She let that sink in for a moment before continuing. “Oh sure, the life of a dragon rider is great and all; but don’t you guys get tired of taking orders all the time? With enough marks, we could escape! Or, perhaps, stay and make changes suitable to our own desires!” She flailed theatrically at the wagon, jumping up and down as she did so. “This is our golden ticket! We should bury this wagon! Tell the merchants we found no sign of it! Let them think it is gone forever! Then, when the time is right, we could return and claim the goods as our own! Such fine metals would make us very rich indeed!”

Kizelth dipped her snout in approval and enthusiastically ruffled her wings as excitement rippled in her eyes. [color=6CBB3C] The plan is a solid one, so long as you two agree to it, [/color] her tone was critical, but not challenging.

The green pair held their breath, both looking at the others with wide, expectant eyes.

Ferret
Weyrling
Weyrling
Ferret
Weyrling
Weyrling

November 19th, 2014, 3:01 am #7

This is a good day for the Weyr! N'vor thought to himself as he took a peek into the other boxes. Iron, firestone, and other precious things, oh my. No wonder the Weyr was so insistent on getting everything safe and sound. Just imagine the damage the rogues could do with it... While N'vor was basking in his own victory, Sarath noted the other Green's eyes going red. Her tail lashed in the sand and she mentally prepared herself for... well... something. It didn't happen, but the older Green remained on edge.

You mean how I live every day? I already don't have to answer to anyone, the Green responded derisively. Humans! They spent all their time building cages for themselves and whined when they couldn't find a way out. True, hypothetically, she had to listen to the Golds and others who outranked her... provided they even noticed her. It was just the way the independent Sarath liked it. I'm a firebreathing dragon. What more power do I need? Tell me, human hatchling; would your rich give me something more?

Well, in human society money can be exchanged for goods and services. Including your firestone. Without your firestone, you can't breath fire. As impassioned as the younger rider's speech was, it didn't affect N'vor much. “Actually, I'm happy and more comfortable being given orders,” he admitted with a shrug. “And the Weyr gives me pretty much everything I can possibly need. More money would just be kinda wasteful.”

Just Ni'ka's luck: out of all the riders and dragons she could have encountered, she encountered the one dragon who had no concept of human wealth and the one rider who was content with what he had.

N'vor's good nature dimmed slightly as he realized what he was being offered. What the girl wanted to do to the Weyr. She wanted to betray its trust and rob it of the resources it so badly needed. He sighed and shook his head. “I'm not interested. And you shouldn't be either. Not only because it's wrong, but because there wouldn't be a Weyr that would take stolen firestone. You realize that Vaioa would report this firestone as missing, right? And what if it ends up in the hands of some rogues or holdless? Any deaths that result of it would be our faults.”
|X| Zoriah - Candidate

Synn Fetale
Weyrling
Weyrling

November 19th, 2014, 7:33 pm #8

[color=6CBB3C] More?! You want more?! [/color] Kizelth, unable to contain herself, roared at the Sarath. Who was she to stand in their way? She rose from her sitting position and wrinkled her snout with disgust. [color=6CBB3C] How about this, our rich might just buy you a brain! [/color]

Ni’ka, wide eyed, gasped at her dragon’s brash remark. “Kizelth!” she scolded, not entirely blaming her green for the outburst. “I- I’m sorry about her,” the young rider studdered, hoping to salvage what she could of the situation. Even though N’vor wasn’t interested, perhaps she could convince him to turn a blind eye.

[color=6CBB3C] Don’t apologize to them, Mine. I’m perfectly in the right. [/color] Kizelth curled her lips and growled again, tail lashing with agitation.

“That’s no excuse!” It was difficult to side against her dragon, even just for show. You are right! But cool it! We can still pull this off!

The large green was hardly convinced. These two do-good shaffits would ruining her incredible plan. But, taking a deep breath, she decided to trust Ni’ka. [color=6CBB3C] How? [/color]

Just watch.

Ni’ka put on a warm, undeterred smile and looked back at N’vor. “She didn’t mean anything by it, I assure you. She’s just… excitable.”

Kizelth snorted behind her.

“Anyway, right? Wrong? Who defines these things? What seems wrong to you seems right to me! How about you just go… let us do our thing! If we get caught, so be it! We will take all the blame! This won’t blow back on you, we promise!” She blinked her green eyes, innocently. “Please? We know what we are doing! And if you do this for us, we will owe you one!”

Ferret
Weyrling
Weyrling
Ferret
Weyrling
Weyrling

November 23rd, 2014, 1:21 am #9

How dare you?! You are but a hatchling! You're barely out of weyrlinghood! The older Green's eyes swirled a fiery orange and red, fire dripping from her mind. Impudent child! Her wings flapped wildly, kicking up a small sandstorm towards the younger Green. Human things didn't concern her----honestly, she didn't care one way or the other what happened to the wagon----but now it became a dragon thing. She placed her claws protectively on the wagon and snarled at Kizelth.

If Kizelth wanted it, then Sarath wanted it.

Just once, I'd like to get through a day without my underwear being mentioned, a fight, or being dragged into a Flight. N'vor kept the thoughts to himself as he sighed. “No apologies needed,” he said.

Wherryshit! Apologies are necessary in ichor!

“No apologies necessary. I know that Sarath isn't... typical. She doesn't understand many of our concepts.” She wasn't stupid----at least N'vor didn't think she was, but he had to admit that he was somewhat biased in this case. She simply didn't think like a human did. Unfortunately, this was all very human stuff.

“And, no. I can't let that happen. I would be just as guilty as you. Look, if we take this stuff back to the Weyr, we'll get a reward anyway. And we definitely won't get in trouble. Doesn't that sound better? Look, I won't tell anyone that you were... tempted. I've seen loads of kids like you in the past.” Poor kid. Probably came from a bad background, he thought generously.

Or she's just a greedy little snipe, Sarath grumbled, still angry over Kizelth.
|X| Zoriah - Candidate

Synn Fetale
Weyrling
Weyrling

November 23rd, 2014, 5:49 am #10

Kizelth's eyes mirrored the furious colors of Sarath's. [color=6CBB3C] A hatchling with twice the sense! [/color] she spat venomously and went to lunge at the other green. Her paws should not be touching her treasure!

However, at a gesture from her coughing rider, Kizelth summoned every last bit of her self control and stayed put. [color=6CBB3C] You fool, [/color] she snarled, pinching closed her nostrils and lowering her water-lids to ward off the small sand storm.

Ni'ka had been standing in the path of the sand storm and busied herself by brushing off the pesky grit while listening to N'vor. At least the man saw that apologies weren't necessary. Good. Because Ni'ka knew her dragon would never offer one. However, this small optimism was short lived. The young girl visibly deflated when N'vor refused to go along with her second idea.

[color=6CBB3C] They are fools not to see our genius! [/color] Kizelth's burning eyes stayed fixated on Sarath. [color=6CBB3C] We should waste no more time on them. Let me deal with this shaffit and we'll take what's ours! [/color]

No, we'd never get away with all of it... but I have an idea.

“Well... can't blame us for trying...” Ni'ka mopped as she bent and picked up her riding cap. With a great sigh she donned the helm and strode back to her waiting dragon. “I guess you're right, anyway. No doubt we'll get a nice little bone thrown our way for a job well-don.” Her tone was suspiciously sarcastic as she mounted and buckled riding straps. “We are sorry to have bothered you...

"NOW!”

Kizelth let out an excited bugle. She had read her riders thoughts and knew exactly how to execute the new plan. She pounced forward toward the wagon and Sarath. In one fluid motion she used her momentum and the element of surprise to wedge her shoulder under the other green's chest and forced her off the wagon.

She then curled her claws around one of the crates of iron and quickly made her retreat. Launching herself into the air, she snapped open her wings and powered herself toward the heavens.

Ni'ka raised a fist to the sky and let out a whoop! Either they were getting away with a little bit of wealth, or they were about to lead a thrilling chase.