Yet another . . .

Yet another . . .

January 5th, 2008, 10:24 pm #1

. . . new Progress Report is posted (Sat. 1/5/08).

http://www.lstmemorial.org/progress.htm

Last edited by Son-of-Rosie on January 5th, 2008, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 5th, 2008, 11:53 pm #2

I was just wondering about the boiler removal. What prompted it? And what is going in its place and what will the gains be? Thanks in advance for getting me caught up on things.

January 6th, 2008, 1:00 am #3

Corpsman, please scroll down to "heat" where the subject is covered.

Steam or hot water pipes are "shot" and boiler was beyond repair, cost wise.

Larry

January 6th, 2008, 3:39 pm #4

I was just wondering about the boiler removal. What prompted it? And what is going in its place and what will the gains be? Thanks in advance for getting me caught up on things.
The boiler was beyound what would be worthy to spend money on and I think I am speaking on subject that I am know*edge*able about that area could be used for a better reason.While answering this message I was curious as to why it is that I respond to some one's message it seems to stop with responds.I know that I am lot older than most of you and we do not know each other which i beleive is okay the 27- men that i sailed with I was very familar with. well I believe thats all for now and feel we should put the boiler to rest .Dom

January 6th, 2008, 4:38 pm #5

Pat, the reader of your posts cannot tell you age unless you mention it. I don't think responses stop because your posts are from an elder statesman/shipmate. Many posts are cut short by some who consider it beating a dead horse when actually there are many avenues to discuss concerning the subject. Anyone who has served on a LST has a story on that heating unit too close or too far from his bunk and how he made an effort to deflect some more heat his way. How many have punched the tubes of a boiler such as that one, how many have changed the fuel oil nozzle when it clogged, or the filters laden with condensate that stopped the fuel flow, or the burnt circulating pump?

While I totally agree the boiler was used up and the original piping had burst in several places, I still feel there is room for stories, comments and suggestions. This page supposedly by it's name "Discussion" is for the discussions about the LST 325 from bow to stern.

Keep on posting your comments and opinions, they're enjoyed. And if you won't tell your age I won't either.

January 6th, 2008, 4:43 pm #6

The boiler was beyound what would be worthy to spend money on and I think I am speaking on subject that I am know*edge*able about that area could be used for a better reason.While answering this message I was curious as to why it is that I respond to some one's message it seems to stop with responds.I know that I am lot older than most of you and we do not know each other which i beleive is okay the 27- men that i sailed with I was very familar with. well I believe thats all for now and feel we should put the boiler to rest .Dom
Dom, you know your way around a T... and I don't think I'd question anything you told me (unless it was me that didn't understand and had to have you explain it again)! As one of the Gold Crew, we hold you in just a bit of awe.. (not counting one old SeaBat who has such respect for all of you but who just goes around hugging everyone anyway... )

I took a look around that boiler the last time I was in Evansville... they said that it had not been operational for quite some time and that the cost of restoring/replacement would be huge.

(p.s. I dusted off the drill press and lathe too!)

January 6th, 2008, 7:11 pm #7

Hi Dom,
Maybe folks don't post after you do because your wisdom says it all!
I don't know a thing about boilers but whatever you say means a lot to all of us Dom because you have so much wisdom behind it!
Don't ever stop posting because we are all learning from you even if we don't post back to say it!

January 6th, 2008, 8:25 pm #8

OK Dom I know that several others have stated what I have been thinking but I really thought I should say it too....

With the respect that we have for those that have gone beofre us when we hear from you it kinda leaves no more room for discussion. Please do not stop chatting on here as there is no disrespect intended if no one comments after you it is only that no one may have anything to add after your thoughts.

January 7th, 2008, 12:44 am #9

Hi Dom: Just want to back you up. All these things that we (the 29 that brought the ship back) know about the 325, we sort of take for granted. I find that in many of the things we do on the ship, needed to be done for 7 years! Most have been on the agenda since we brought the ship back. We do things in a priority manner when the money or volunteer talent is available to do it. Also fixing one thing sometimes leads to another and so on. I sometimes believe that those on the outside sometimes think we just decided to take a perfectly good boiler out for something to do. Actually we needed a space to put our new oil and water separator, which the Coast Guard wanted us to have, and we bought 8 months ago. So ask away and someone in the know will tell you why we do what we do. When it comes to plumbing that will be Dom, who was our only plumber in Greece and all the way back. How many miles of pipe did you replace, how many leaks did you fix? Nobody will ever know. Capt. 325

January 7th, 2008, 8:01 am #10

know enough to ask an intelligent question or make a post on your subject matter. Much of the time I'll just take notes and I have the luxury to go to the ship on the weekend and actually check out this stuff while on duty. Then I might take a stab at a question.

Right now I'm still trying to digest all the Snipe knowledge I ingested from Ad and Rocky this past Summer/Fall. You can imagine the confusion having two mentors such as these. Then I go to DeckApe class with Professor Voges and am told to disregard everything I learned down below. I hope you can appreciate the confusion.

By the way, who cares how old you are? I bet Rocky has socks older than you!

Chris