Work Week

Work Week

April 15th, 2008, 2:12 am #1

A very special thank you to everyone who worked so hard last week at the ship. It was great to finally have the chance to join you during work week and do my bit.

MANY thanks to:
Joe, Fred, Doug, Ken, Roy, Sandra and Barbara who provided us with great meals (what a huge amount of work to feed so many!); the Captain and Lois for a great cookout on the fantail; the Grey Lady for a place to meet, show our skills (and learn new ones) to provide a wonderful memorial to our shipmates, fathers, brothers and relatives; to all of the volunteers who worked together to get a huge amount of work done; to Doug and his new bride for an excuse to have a party; to our Veterans for the freedom to work and share our love of history and LSTs and to have an all out great time!

If I left anyone or anything out, I assure you it's unintentional (I'm still tired.. but a happy tired!). It was a privilege to be at the ship and work!

p.s. If anyone needs Needle Gun lessons, Bob Pointer is the guy... (Thanks very much, Bob!!!!! It was great to work with you... you are a good teacher - all of those who checked up on me agreed!)

April 15th, 2008, 10:10 am #2

I couldn't agree with you any more had I said it myself. I was a wonderful week. Many old friends came aboard to help and we meet many new friends. I hope in the future to meet many, many new friends. We shared a lot of laughs as we worked as well as shared a lot of tears as we said good-bye. I hope to see everyone during the Cruise or at LST Week one.

April 15th, 2008, 12:12 pm #3

A very special thank you to everyone who worked so hard last week at the ship. It was great to finally have the chance to join you during work week and do my bit.

MANY thanks to:
Joe, Fred, Doug, Ken, Roy, Sandra and Barbara who provided us with great meals (what a huge amount of work to feed so many!); the Captain and Lois for a great cookout on the fantail; the Grey Lady for a place to meet, show our skills (and learn new ones) to provide a wonderful memorial to our shipmates, fathers, brothers and relatives; to all of the volunteers who worked together to get a huge amount of work done; to Doug and his new bride for an excuse to have a party; to our Veterans for the freedom to work and share our love of history and LSTs and to have an all out great time!

If I left anyone or anything out, I assure you it's unintentional (I'm still tired.. but a happy tired!). It was a privilege to be at the ship and work!

p.s. If anyone needs Needle Gun lessons, Bob Pointer is the guy... (Thanks very much, Bob!!!!! It was great to work with you... you are a good teacher - all of those who checked up on me agreed!)
I second Seabat and Tammy, or maybe by now it third. Let's do it again. I hope someone else get's married between now and then too, so we can have another party.

April 16th, 2008, 2:38 am #4

MANY thanks to:

Steve is working hard in the Wheel House...

Bob Barbier is cleaning the Radio Room

Part of the Illinois and Rhode Island contingents taking a needed break

Turning to...

Last edited by SeaBat on April 16th, 2008, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 16th, 2008, 11:29 am #5

MANY thanks to:

We'd be hard pressed to find a greater group of people to work with. Thanks to everyone for everything.

I waited until we got home to sprain my foot last night while running. Words of wisdom - don't run (or walk) when there are 40 MPH gusts - it can (and in my case, will) knock you off an elevated bike path. As Fred says, good thing I didn't do it just prior to work week. We would have missed a wonderful time.

If anyone out there has thought about joining a work week opportunity but hasn't, don't be shy. It won't be long before you will have made many new friends. I do, however, offer this warning:

If hearty laughter causes you pain, avoid coming.

April 16th, 2008, 7:32 pm #6

MANY thanks to:

If when you got home from Work Week and your DIRTY CLOTHES, and BEDDING along with your un worn items, Smelled like an LST? I reccomend adding 1/2 cup of Baking Soda to the laundry. This will boost both the detergent and Bleech. This should keep Deck Apes from smelling like SNIPES!

I also used some plastic Deli containers with Baking Soda to help air out my luggage. this is done by cutting out a portion of the lid and placing some cloth in side to cover the new openings and keep the Baking Soda in.

April 16th, 2008, 7:42 pm #7

We'd be hard pressed to find a greater group of people to work with. Thanks to everyone for everything.

I waited until we got home to sprain my foot last night while running. Words of wisdom - don't run (or walk) when there are 40 MPH gusts - it can (and in my case, will) knock you off an elevated bike path. As Fred says, good thing I didn't do it just prior to work week. We would have missed a wonderful time.

If anyone out there has thought about joining a work week opportunity but hasn't, don't be shy. It won't be long before you will have made many new friends. I do, however, offer this warning:

If hearty laughter causes you pain, avoid coming.
As we were preparing for the Work Week trip, my sister's husband passed on in Connecticut. So we went East instead of Southwest. First things first...

Thanks to those that posted all the pictures and commentary. In my mind's eye I could imagine the wisecracks coming out of the morning muster on the main deck. It goes without saying that I missed the comaraderie and sea (river) stories (and the dirt/grime!).

We'll still do our "work week" this next week but it will be all too quiet. If I listen closely I just may be able to hear the echoes....

April 16th, 2008, 10:06 pm #8

If when you got home from Work Week and your DIRTY CLOTHES, and BEDDING along with your un worn items, Smelled like an LST? I reccomend adding 1/2 cup of Baking Soda to the laundry. This will boost both the detergent and Bleech. This should keep Deck Apes from smelling like SNIPES!

I also used some plastic Deli containers with Baking Soda to help air out my luggage. this is done by cutting out a portion of the lid and placing some cloth in side to cover the new openings and keep the Baking Soda in.
Just be glad Ellis Delay wasn't your laundry mate. Ellis was the chief laundry mate on the 2005 East Coast Voyage in the Atlantic Ocean and everything I brought home was a different color than the original.

April 16th, 2008, 10:40 pm #9

As we were preparing for the Work Week trip, my sister's husband passed on in Connecticut. So we went East instead of Southwest. First things first...

Thanks to those that posted all the pictures and commentary. In my mind's eye I could imagine the wisecracks coming out of the morning muster on the main deck. It goes without saying that I missed the comaraderie and sea (river) stories (and the dirt/grime!).

We'll still do our "work week" this next week but it will be all too quiet. If I listen closely I just may be able to hear the echoes....
We missed you Perry, and I had to perform the wedding that you could have legally done! You will hear in the echoes " Doug and Rocky -- you can have a Honeymoon sweet -- the Captain's Sea Cabin!" You will hear the echoe -- Rocky put that pillow under your shirt this morning and look pregnant! You will hear the Echoe from Bill Mueller -- We got home from vacation and I read the Phoenix -- I said to the wife " I am out of here-- they are down there working on my ship, and I am going!!!! and yes some saw Johnason!

Shaft Alley next to Chris

April 16th, 2008, 11:55 pm #10

Steve is working hard in the Wheel House...

Bob Barbier is cleaning the Radio Room

Part of the Illinois and Rhode Island contingents taking a needed break

Turning to...

SeaBat polished more than her fingernails...

The Grey Lady looks beautiful with the constant care she is getting from those who live in Evansville and from those who travelled to Work Week!

At the end of a long, hard day, the Sea 'Stories' flew...
Last edited by SeaBat on April 16th, 2008, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.