Winch of stern anchor - special views are wished

Winch of stern anchor - special views are wished

January 6th, 2009, 2:04 pm #1

Dear members of the LST 325 Association,

first of all, I wish you and to the LST Restoring Team an happy new year 2009 !

I'm building a model of a LST at scale 1 to 35 (about 2m80 long)

I have an open question about the winch for the rear anchor : on the web it is quiet easy to find some views of this device generally taken from the stern to the bow.

In order to draw this winch to a blue print before its own assembling, I research some pictures taken in the opposite direction (from the bow to the stern)

It would be very nice when somebody take please some pictures of this device in the direction of the stern ? It would help me a lot.

I would be interested by some detailled views (clutch, transmissions betwen the different axis, the brake handle) because a large picture is not possible to betaken considering the small distance between the first deck room and the winch.

This model will participate on a model contest on June 6-7 2008 in the small town of Vierville-sur-mer on the OMAHA BEACH.

Hereunder you will see a picture of the construtor (myself) and the LST ; in my hand a lcvp of the italian company ITALERI; it will be scrashed because its weight is to high for the davit. On the model , 6 davits will be mounted , this model will reproduce an lst type 2 with an elevator
I have only bought 2 models of the 40mm Bofors and the Oerlikon 20 mm, and the the 2 propellers.
This model contains about 5 175 parts and the construction is underway 4 years.

Thank you in advance

best regards

denis RUPP
GROSSBLIEDERSTROFF FRANCE

January 6th, 2009, 7:28 pm #2

I have taken some photos of the stern winch and will forward them to you. I'll take a few more detail photos tomorrow. I will email them to you....

January 6th, 2009, 8:36 pm #3

Hi Don
thank you for your interest
I will appreciate your help

Regards

denis

January 6th, 2009, 11:35 pm #4

I have an open question about the winch for the rear anchor : on the web it is quiet easy to find some views of this device generally taken from the stern to the bow.

In order to draw this winch to a blue print before its own assembling, I research some pictures taken in the opposite direction (from the bow to the stern)

It would be very nice when somebody take please some pictures of this device in the direction of the stern ? It would help me a lot.

I would be interested by some detailled views (clutch, transmissions betwen the different axis, the brake handle) because a large picture is not possible to betaken considering the small distance between the first deck room and the winch.

This model will participate on a model contest on June 6-7 2008 in the small town of Vierville-sur-mer on the OMAHA BEACH.

Hereunder you will see a picture of the construtor (myself) and the LST ; in my hand a lcvp of the italian company ITALERI; it will be scrashed because its weight is to high for the davit. On the model , 6 davits will be mounted , this model will reproduce an lst type 2 with an elevator
I have only bought 2 models of the 40mm Bofors and the Oerlikon 20 mm, and the the 2 propellers.

Thank you in advance

best regards

denis RUPP

I hope you will post more pictures of your model & let us know how you do in the competition. This will be very interesting to a lot of us. Thanks for picking the LST as your project!

January 7th, 2009, 4:01 am #5

Denis... At the link below there are some pictures posted. The first link is to an Inside LST Website provided by Dr. Michael Smith, a Crew Member of the LST 325 Ship Memorial. (If you search under Insidelst.com instead, under Beaching Equipment, go to the bottom of the page and click on Stern Anchor.)

http://www.insidelst.com/stern_anchor_winches.htm

On this website return to the website, click on the Progress Report and then scroll clear to the bottom. Look for the Archives for the period that includes April 2007 through June 2007. On the entry for April 28, 2007 you will see that Doug, another Crew Member did an overhaul of the stern anchor winch and it's equipment. There are many good photos here for you to see. Thanks you for your interest in LST 325 and LST's in general. It must be awe inspiring to be able to walk those beaches where so many brave men lost their lives in an effort to help the citizens of France and people all over the world have their freedom maintained or restored.

Bonne chance avec votre modele! Et encore... merci tres beaucoup pour d'interet!

January 7th, 2009, 7:09 am #6

Translation: Deck Apes Rock! Snipes follow.
OR
(Good luck with your model and thanks very much for your interest.)

Denis, Il est bon de voir votre interet pour le LST. Mais attention a la Seabat et Gator Gals. Ils peuvent etre tres moyen de certains d'entre nous, les gars ici.

Chris

January 7th, 2009, 3:57 pm #7

Thank you in advance

best regards

denis RUPP

Are you planning for the model to be a static display or a radio control model?

January 7th, 2009, 5:40 pm #8

Hi Don
thank you for your interest
I will appreciate your help

Regards

denis
I have sent you 14 photos of the stern winch. Should you need additional please let me know.

January 7th, 2009, 7:01 pm #9

Are you planning for the model to be a static display or a radio control model?
Hello Bob

the model is only foreseen to be static , but this scale and the dimesions allow the RC.

Thank you for your question

regards

denis RUPP

January 7th, 2009, 7:18 pm #10

Translation: Deck Apes Rock! Snipes follow.
OR
(Good luck with your model and thanks very much for your interest.)

Denis, Il est bon de voir votre interet pour le LST. Mais attention a la Seabat et Gator Gals. Ils peuvent etre tres moyen de certains d'entre nous, les gars ici.

Chris
Hello Chris

thank you for your information !

It is not necessary to thank me for me model , this model is for me a sign in memory of the fallen GI in Normandy !

Since 35 years I was 4 times on this beach.

best regards

denis