Where were you 50 years ago today?

Where were you 50 years ago today?

February 20th, 2012, 6:17 pm #1

As an 8 year old child, I remember being awakened early by my parents and sitting in front of our brand new television with my brothers. We watched, not fully understanding the impact that this flight would have on our nation and in the science of aerospace. (They held us out of school that day so that we could learn at home. Today's schools would broadcast the events for students, but in those days they didn't have televisions!) Dad had taken a vacation day from work and it was truly a family experience!

Happy Anniversary John Glenn!

February 20th, 2012, 6:44 pm #2

Seabat - Fifty years ago, I was on a management team at the rocket factory - Rocketdyne-here in Canoga Park, California and we were working on getting Atlas rocket engines out so the astronauts would have more vehicles to ride. We also were running a white room where the valve assemblies for the first stage (F-1) and the second stage (J-2) were being assembled and tested. My first job there was a mechanic for the turbopumps (a device that pushed fuel out for the engine)and stayed at Rocketdyne until we got Collins, Aldrin and Armstrong to the moon. We had tv's all over the plant for Glenn's lift.
After they accomplished the moon landing, I got the axe along with thousands of other workers over a two year span - I left in May 1970.

We worked terrible hours over those years! Not too bad for travel as I live only five minutes from what is left of the large plant - now there is only a few buildings left. Discouraging as we (along with many many other aerospace teams around the country) felt that we made magic and were proud of any space shot.

February 21st, 2012, 7:06 am #3

As an 8 year old child, I remember being awakened early by my parents and sitting in front of our brand new television with my brothers. We watched, not fully understanding the impact that this flight would have on our nation and in the science of aerospace. (They held us out of school that day so that we could learn at home. Today's schools would broadcast the events for students, but in those days they didn't have televisions!) Dad had taken a vacation day from work and it was truly a family experience!

Happy Anniversary John Glenn!
You are the original Space Cadet? :-)

February 22nd, 2012, 2:17 am #4

When John Glenn lives as close as he does; with him being one of Ohio's favorite sons, I'd say this was a compliment!!! ;-)

Where were you that day, Chris? (And don't tell me you weren't born yet, I know better!)

February 22nd, 2012, 2:22 am #5

Seabat - Fifty years ago, I was on a management team at the rocket factory - Rocketdyne-here in Canoga Park, California and we were working on getting Atlas rocket engines out so the astronauts would have more vehicles to ride. We also were running a white room where the valve assemblies for the first stage (F-1) and the second stage (J-2) were being assembled and tested. My first job there was a mechanic for the turbopumps (a device that pushed fuel out for the engine)and stayed at Rocketdyne until we got Collins, Aldrin and Armstrong to the moon. We had tv's all over the plant for Glenn's lift.
After they accomplished the moon landing, I got the axe along with thousands of other workers over a two year span - I left in May 1970.

We worked terrible hours over those years! Not too bad for travel as I live only five minutes from what is left of the large plant - now there is only a few buildings left. Discouraging as we (along with many many other aerospace teams around the country) felt that we made magic and were proud of any space shot.
What a thrill that had to be for you to be part of something so important to the Space Program! The work that you all did provided us all with so many scientific advancements that affect our day to day lives.. even now, 50 years later! You did make magic... and should be proud!

I'm sitting here thinking of all of the ways you LST Sailors and Amphibs continued to innovate and investigate possibilities for improving life for all of us. So many variations of livelihood, but all made an impact!

Thanks for sharing your memory, Jim. We're honored.

February 22nd, 2012, 6:42 am #6

When John Glenn lives as close as he does; with him being one of Ohio's favorite sons, I'd say this was a compliment!!! ;-)

Where were you that day, Chris? (And don't tell me you weren't born yet, I know better!)
You keep taking the high road and I end up with mud in my face :-(
I remember a bit of the Apollo program and most of the space shuttle program. So I do appreciate the knowledge I get from you, Perry and others in regards to the Mercury program. Up till now, I thought Mercury was what the Captain drove before his Cadillac.

February 23rd, 2012, 3:14 am #7

I thought Mercury was some dude with wings, possibly the first airdale.
(except he didn't wear brown shoes)