What kind of ship is this?

What kind of ship is this?

February 17th, 2008, 10:18 pm #1

Pulled this off a web site the other day and wondered what kind of ship this might be (sorry it is a little dark). This was taken at Iwo Jima and the ship seems to have suffered damage both fore and aft, but seems to have a pretty big gun on the main deck. I don't know what it is, just asking.

February 17th, 2008, 10:52 pm #2

Looks like a busted up LCI Gunboat. The "big" gun is a rocket launcher.....

LCI(G)-1 class Landing Craft, Infantry (Gunboat):
Displacement: 387 tons (full load)
Length: 160'
Beam: 23'3"
Draft: 2'10" forward, 5'3" aft (landing)
Speed: 15.5 knots
Armament: 2-3 40mm, 3-4 20mm, 6 .50 cal, 10 Mk 7 & 2 Mk 22 rocket launchers
Complement: 5 officers, 65 enlisted
8 GM diesel engines, twin screws

February 17th, 2008, 11:24 pm #3

Did they mount those rocket launchers on a platform? Seems to me that someone talked about that a while back, but I don't know a great deal about them... it was a modification on some LCI's I think.... when it was discussed, I think the discussion was about them being used at Normandy?

Interesting to know they were used in the South Pacific like that too... The Ohio chapter has a member that served on an LSM(R). He did a nice piece on his service and the use of LSM's in the South Pacific.

February 18th, 2008, 10:09 pm #4

Pulled this off a web site the other day and wondered what kind of ship this might be (sorry it is a little dark). This was taken at Iwo Jima and the ship seems to have suffered damage both fore and aft, but seems to have a pretty big gun on the main deck. I don't know what it is, just asking.

It could be a Japanese transport that had been worked over prior to the invasion. what appears to be a large caliber weapon could be a King Post. There appears to be a tear in the hull below it, this can be see better if the contrast is changed. I seem to recall the few US ship losses ocoured off shore and sank there.