UPDATE ON THE SHIP...

UPDATE ON THE SHIP...

December 18th, 2010, 5:46 pm #1

Just a reminder for those of you in the sunny south and the AZ folks complaining about your sun burns: the LST is cold, it's cold to touch, and cold looking; it has been cold for the past week, if it's not blowing and snowing it's raining ice! We slide to the ship and from the ship!

Larry Robinson, Dale Carlton, Bob Wessel, Jim Scott, have shown up despite the weather and held down the Gift Shop and worked on small jobs like T.V. and extension cord repair; heavy winds has worked on some of the gun covers loose so these were secured.

Two new Volunteers showed up this week for there briefings! JR Farmer retired as a Vectron Electric Line man, JR plans on becoming a tour guide and helping Dave and Harry on Electrical Projects. Keith Fleig is a retired Grayhound bus driver and also wants to give tours and help with maintenance on the ship.

JR was in the Navy and Keith was in the Air Force. Both have been to the ship before, but decided during the Veterans Day Breakfast that they would come and help where they can.

Welcome aboard guys! We guarantee that the fun and friendship you will find and the people you will meet on tours are better than any paycheck!

[Ed. Note: The weather for the next week promises to be cold and snowy according to the DTN web. In spite of it being close to the holiday, many will tour the ship. People from out of town who are visiting Evansville will come out for tours. Stay warm, stay safe and watch your footing on the decks!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!)

December 19th, 2010, 5:22 am #2

I remember the North Atlantic when it was so cold and the sea so rough that water would blow up the haws pipe with each wave like a geyser and deposit thick layers of ice on the deck. We would have to report forward with chipping tools (like a garden hoe but with the blade straight instead of at 90 degrees) and try to keep ahead of the ice formation. Like skivywaiver observed, I would not take a million dollars for the memories now, but at the time I thought I was going to freeze to death or slide over the side.

December 19th, 2010, 8:27 am #3

Just a reminder for those of you in the sunny south and the AZ folks complaining about your sun burns: the LST is cold, it's cold to touch, and cold looking; it has been cold for the past week, if it's not blowing and snowing it's raining ice! We slide to the ship and from the ship!

Larry Robinson, Dale Carlton, Bob Wessel, Jim Scott, have shown up despite the weather and held down the Gift Shop and worked on small jobs like T.V. and extension cord repair; heavy winds has worked on some of the gun covers loose so these were secured.

Two new Volunteers showed up this week for there briefings! JR Farmer retired as a Vectron Electric Line man, JR plans on becoming a tour guide and helping Dave and Harry on Electrical Projects. Keith Fleig is a retired Grayhound bus driver and also wants to give tours and help with maintenance on the ship.

JR was in the Navy and Keith was in the Air Force. Both have been to the ship before, but decided during the Veterans Day Breakfast that they would come and help where they can.

Welcome aboard guys! We guarantee that the fun and friendship you will find and the people you will meet on tours are better than any paycheck!

[Ed. Note: The weather for the next week promises to be cold and snowy according to the DTN web. In spite of it being close to the holiday, many will tour the ship. People from out of town who are visiting Evansville will come out for tours. Stay warm, stay safe and watch your footing on the decks!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!)
Fun and Friends will outweigh any paycheck? What have you been smoking? You gator gals and (and now Jerry) have been busting my marbles for 5 years and 2 months. I just hope these new recruits have a thick skin .

December 19th, 2010, 6:26 pm #4

I knew if we were patient enough you would finally learn something. You are counting on your own not bad for a deck ape.

December 20th, 2010, 2:23 am #5

Does he have to take his shoes off, so that he can count to twenty ??

December 20th, 2010, 6:20 pm #6

Chris you should know by now that we treat you different.Have you been there that long? Physically that is? If I and the gater gals were nice to you -- you would think we were mad or would not believe us anyway. What kind of bullets do you need? Does that gun take green or orange ping-pong balls? Shaft

December 21st, 2010, 5:33 am #7

I bet it takes nerf balls....

December 25th, 2010, 8:20 am #8

I knew if we were patient enough you would finally learn something. You are counting on your own not bad for a deck ape.
I can't count on you!

December 25th, 2010, 8:25 am #9

Does he have to take his shoes off, so that he can count to twenty ??

(And at least I don't have to wave flags to get peoples attention)

December 25th, 2010, 8:30 am #10

Chris you should know by now that we treat you different.Have you been there that long? Physically that is? If I and the gater gals were nice to you -- you would think we were mad or would not believe us anyway. What kind of bullets do you need? Does that gun take green or orange ping-pong balls? Shaft
I gave Santa your coordinates. He's gonna fly by and drop a frag down your chimney.