Untitled

Untitled

August 28th, 2008, 8:00 pm #1

LST 325 moving, expected here this afternoon
Aug 28, 2008 12:31PM
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Joe Beach, jbeach@qconline.com
LST 325 is again makings its way upriver and is expected to reach the Quad-Cities this afternoon.

Jessica Waytenick, of the Quad Cities Convention and Visitors Bureau, said the World War II tank and troop ship is on its way from Burlington, where it was stopped by low river levels. It is expected to arrive in Moline between 4 and 5 p.m. today.

It will dock next to the Celebration Belle in Moline, she said.

LST 325, a troop and tank landing craft that saw action in North Africa, Sicily and Normandy, is expected to be open Friday for tours beginning at 9 a.m. Tours will be available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. through Sept. 2.

The ship was to arrive in Moline Wednesday, but was unable to get past Burlington because the river was blocked by sand and sediment near Benton Island, just upriver from Oquawka. The Corps of Engineers began clearing a pilot channel Sunday, and vessels began moving this morning.

August 28th, 2008, 10:39 pm #2

Here's the one that were there when I read it online (may be more by now)
http://www.qconline.com/archives/qco/di ... ?id=401977

Comments 7 comments on this article

Posted by Red White & Blue from Quad Cities at 1:23PM on Thursday, 8/28/08
Cool!

Posted by mike from silvis at 1:39PM on Thursday, 8/28/08
she moved through lock and dam 16 in Muscatine at noon today, I took some great pictures.

Posted by Patriot at 2:11PM on Thursday, 8/28/08
Excellent! I can't wait to see this beauitful ship that helped to win WWII! Just imagine the stories it could tell....

Posted by some anonymous person at 2:34PM on Thursday, 8/28/08
I cant wait to go see it. Finally something fun in the news

Posted by some anonymous person at 4:44PM on Thursday, 8/28/08
Just saw it! That was cool!!

Posted by some anonymous person from Moline at 5:20PM on Thursday, 8/28/08
There is a man who lives in Moline who served on that warship. There are only a handful of men still alive who served on that ship. Hopefully he will be onhand to tell others stories of his experiences.

Posted by captain stubbing from the love boat at 5:22PM on Thursday, 8/28/08
i was going across the I-280 bridge this afternoon and it was going under as i passed.
only seen the rear of the ship but it was cool seing that anti aircraft gun on the rear of the boat.