Trivia for all of you Flyboys...

Trivia for all of you Flyboys...

August 4th, 2005, 1:45 am #1

And if you think I even remotely had an idea of the answer... you're WRONG! I don't know much of anything about aviation other than using commercial airlines to travel....

What was the difference between the North American P-51D and P-51K Mustangs?

(and yes, I had to check to see what it even looked like!)

August 4th, 2005, 2:13 am #2

The height of the tail fin, the "K" model was taller. It also benefited from a weight reduction study that NAA did on the "D" making it a little bit lighter. Also the "K" was only used in the PTO flying out of Iwo Jima.

It still is a good looking Airplane today, looking fast on the ground or in the air!

Flt-tech

August 4th, 2005, 5:39 pm #3

Thw P51K was developed late in war from the XP51K which several prototypes built for R&D evaluation of the larger tail and a few P-51G's went into production and were converted to the P-51K which never got to the ETO. Both the USAAF and RAF flew the P-51 in the ETO. A Google search leads to many interesting site on the development of the P-51.

August 4th, 2005, 11:35 pm #4

And if you think I even remotely had an idea of the answer... you're WRONG! I don't know much of anything about aviation other than using commercial airlines to travel....

What was the difference between the North American P-51D and P-51K Mustangs?

(and yes, I had to check to see what it even looked like!)
The P-51D was built at Inglewood, California. The P-51K was identical (except for the Aeroprop propeller) but was built at Dallas, Texas...

(You guys are good!!)

Last edited by SeaBat on August 4th, 2005, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.