To honor Sir Winston

To honor Sir Winston

January 25th, 2006, 1:05 am #1

on the 41st Anniversary of his passing...

"This is a war of the unknown warriors; but let all strive without failing in faith or in duty, and the dark curse of Hitler will be lifted from our age." Broadcast on the BBC, July 14, 1940.

Last edited by SeaBat on January 25th, 2006, 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 25th, 2006, 1:35 am #2

January 24, 1965

January 25th, 2006, 2:04 am #3

"This is a war of the unknown warriors; but let all strive without failing in faith or in duty, and the dark curse of Hitler will be lifted from our age." Broadcast on the BBC, July 14, 1940.
Sorry... and I corrected it! (These keyboards don't type very well at times!)

January 25th, 2006, 4:15 pm #4

It seems as though Chris is quick to straighten you out! ARF!! ARF!!! GROWL!!! ARF!!! He might just bite your head off.

Ann

January 25th, 2006, 8:22 pm #5

I've been known to fat-finger that keyboard occasionally also.

January 26th, 2006, 1:13 am #6

Wasn't my fat little fingers... it was the KEYBOARD!!!!! lol...

I really thought about Winston Churchill last evening... did some reading. His love for his country... and of his mother's country. I didn't realize until last evening that his mother was an American....

One of the quotes I found myself reading over again...

"Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb."
Sir Winston Churchill

Very much like the journey so many of you undertook when bringing the 325 back from Greece... these words apply... a wonderful, historic past and a future of enlightening those who have a desire to learn. An ever lengthening journey and joy in traversing it. Very much like the journey many of us have undertaken.... Skip, Brolly, Ray, Ann, Jo, Kathy and Linda... so many of us searching for our Dad's histories. What a gift that journey is; you make it possible.
Last edited by SeaBat on January 26th, 2006, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 26th, 2006, 7:25 pm #7

Sea Bat - Here is one of my favorites from Churchill when he was addressing the U. S Congress and made reference to his half American parentage:

Child of the House of Commons"

I am a child of the House of Commons. I was brought up in my father's house to believe in democracy. Trust the people - that was his message....I cannot help reflecting that if my father had been American and my mother British, instead of the other way around, I might have got here on my own....I owe my advancement entirely to the House of Commons, whose servant I am. In my country, as in yours, public men are proud to be the servants of the State and would be ashamed to be its masters. -

Speech made to a Joint Session of the American Congress, December 26, 1941. Churchill went to America after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. He predicted a "long and hard war." His speech was broadcast throughout the US, Canada and Britain.

January 27th, 2006, 4:26 pm #8

I have a pic from my grand father of winston on a boat waving to the lst 77 in the bay of naples wen they were going to so france.I wish I knew how to post it so you could all see it is that possible?

January 27th, 2006, 5:09 pm #9

Your picture file should be small... I'm not sure (maybe Skip or Rudy can tell us, but I think about 100 kb or so...) .jpg files are easiest Please note that the photos are held in a temporary file for about 14 days or so.... then they 'disappear' from the posting.

Have it saved in a folder on your computer.

Go into respond (or Post a New Message)

Put your name and the message title. Type in any message text you want to show..

At the bottom of the screen you will see a small button labeled "Insert Object"

You get a new screen. There is a highlighted line that says "Temporary Files" Click on that. A button appears to allow you to "Browse" and get to the picture file in a regular folder on your computer.

Once you find the picture in your computer's folder, open it and then the name of that file (the link) will show in the open box. Hit the "Upload" button that is next to the "Browse" button. (If your photo file is too large it will give you an error message now)

Wait a few moments for the photo file to load. When it is loaded, on the right side you will see the image that you want to share. Click on "Insert File" and the file should be inserted into the text file of your message.

Click on the "Preview" to show your message and make sure it shows as you want it to, then hit the "Respond" button.

If I can do it ANYONE can!!! Look forward to seeing the picture... if you have a problem, let me know!

January 27th, 2006, 9:25 pm #10

Sea Bat - Here is one of my favorites from Churchill when he was addressing the U. S Congress and made reference to his half American parentage:

Child of the House of Commons"

I am a child of the House of Commons. I was brought up in my father's house to believe in democracy. Trust the people - that was his message....I cannot help reflecting that if my father had been American and my mother British, instead of the other way around, I might have got here on my own....I owe my advancement entirely to the House of Commons, whose servant I am. In my country, as in yours, public men are proud to be the servants of the State and would be ashamed to be its masters. -

Speech made to a Joint Session of the American Congress, December 26, 1941. Churchill went to America after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. He predicted a "long and hard war." His speech was broadcast throughout the US, Canada and Britain.
a great many quotations worth reading, aren't there? Thanks for sharing your favorite!

He was a great force for Britain during WWI and WWII...