The question was.....how many LST were assigned....

The question was.....how many LST were assigned....

May 29th, 2007, 6:07 pm #1

To the D-Day landings in Normandy.....the answer is:-

30 USLST assigned to FORCE U...Utah beach...out of Dartmouth, Plymouth and Brixham area.

24 USLST assigned to FORCE O..Omaha beach.....out of Portland

29 HMLST....assigned to FORCE G....Gold beach..having deaparted from the Solent.

23 HMLST assigned to FORCE J....Juno beach.. having departed from the Solent.

18 HMLST assigned to FORCE S...Sword beach....having departed from the Solent.

FORCE B FOLLOW-UP.....50 USLST.....out of Falmouth Fowey,Plymouth and the Helford River

FORCE L FOLLOW-UP....49 LST both Royal Navy and US Navy.
The above group comprised 2 British manned LST Flotillas in the company of six US Navy LST Divisions. These craft departed from either Harwich or the River Thames.

All above were USLST(2)...in addition the named British Mk1 LST's Bachaquero, Misoa and Tasajera were also assigned.....when added together giving a grand total of 226 LST assigned to the Normandy landings..!!!!

Tony Chapman
Official Archivist/Historian
LST and Landing Craft Association (Royal Navy)

May 29th, 2007, 6:47 pm #2

You da man..... Is this information accessable on the internet?

May 29th, 2007, 7:27 pm #3

30 USLST assigned to FORCE U...Utah beach...out of Dartmouth, Plymouth and Brixham area.

29 HMLST....assigned to FORCE G....Gold beach..having deaparted from the Solent.

FORCE B FOLLOW-UP.....50 USLST.....out of Falmouth Fowey,Plymouth and the Helford River

The above group comprised 2 British manned LST Flotillas in the company of six US Navy LST Divisions. These craft departed from either Harwich or the River Thames.

All above were USLST(2)...in addition the named British Mk1 LST's Bachaquero, Misoa and Tasajera were also assigned.....when added together giving a grand total of 226 LST assigned to the Normandy landings..!!!!

Tony Chapman
Tony, the number I dug up was 173. I wonder if that could have been the actual number of LSTs that crossed the creek that day? As opposed to 226 that were assigned. Just speculation on my part. Maybe Murphy got aboard the other 53? Also, I show 25 of the LSTs at Normandy were made in Evansville. I shall defer to your expertise.

May 29th, 2007, 10:15 pm #4

You da man..... Is this information accessable on the internet?
Hello Steve
I am not aware of the information I am quoting from being available on the Internet....it has been amassed from my near fourteen years of gathering...!!!

Tony Chapman

May 29th, 2007, 10:31 pm #5

Tony, the number I dug up was 173. I wonder if that could have been the actual number of LSTs that crossed the creek that day? As opposed to 226 that were assigned. Just speculation on my part. Maybe Murphy got aboard the other 53? Also, I show 25 of the LSTs at Normandy were made in Evansville. I shall defer to your expertise.
Hello Chris
The figure I quote is the total of craft assigned or allocated to the D-Day landings...it takes no account of those that were due over the days that followed, but even then, they are included in the total number I quoted.
For a definitive answer we would need the departure and arrival time of every LST engaged to show which found themselves off the beaches on D-Day itself...we would also need of course the details of all those which for some reason or other failed to make it out owing to mechanical defects or whatever..!!!
Assembling all that detail would likely take many months, possibly years....I am only guessing, it would certainly be a mammoth and time consuming undertaking.
If and when I get a moment I will check the number of craft due over the immediate days following D-Day and then subtract those from the total..see where that leaves us...!!!! Even then for reasons stated above it would only be an approximate guess....???
Tony

Tony Chapman

May 30th, 2007, 12:30 am #6

Tony Chapman
Chappie.. you stated "the named British Mk1 LST's Bachaquero, Misoa and Tasajera"

The US LST's weren't given names until the 1950's... During WWII, they were assigned hull numbers and that is what they were referenced as in any documents. I had always been under the impression (wrongfully so, I see) that HMLST's were also just assigned numbers.

Do you know how the three referenced above, came to be given names in addition to hull numbers?

Just curious...

May 30th, 2007, 1:24 am #7

Those were the Mk/type I & III or the british prototype T's

May 30th, 2007, 5:00 am #8

Chappie.. you stated "the named British Mk1 LST's Bachaquero, Misoa and Tasajera"

The US LST's weren't given names until the 1950's... During WWII, they were assigned hull numbers and that is what they were referenced as in any documents. I had always been under the impression (wrongfully so, I see) that HMLST's were also just assigned numbers.

Do you know how the three referenced above, came to be given names in addition to hull numbers?

Just curious...
Bachaquero built 1937, Misoa built 1937 and Tasajera built 1938 stood alone....they were all built by Furness Shipbuilding and North Eastern Marine Engineering....they were what they were and never carried a pennant number.Later named British LST of the same class were Boxer, Bruiser and Thruster....ALL of whom took part in the landings in the Med during 1943-1944...none saw service in Normandy.

Tony Chapman

May 30th, 2007, 5:15 am #9

Those were the Mk/type I & III or the british prototype T's
The named Normandy LST's were the original Mk1's. Then of course came the American USLST(2)which became the predominant LST of that period manned by both nations.The British Mk3 LST came along later during late 1944-1945 and carried pennant numbers in the 3000 series, the first being HMLST(3)3001, the last of the class being HMLST(3) 3534. Many were later named and a substantial number served Far East during 1945. None, given the lateness of their building served in Normandy.

Tony Chapman

May 30th, 2007, 5:20 am #10

Thanks Tony, that clears that up. On this side of the pond there doesn't seem to be a lot of data on RN vessels.