Stowaway on board caught

Stowaway on board caught

August 30th, 2007, 12:51 am #1

Just heard a stowaway was caught onboard this am. Pete is supposed to have pictures so hope he can get posted on here. An animal control officer caught him after some banging to scare him/her out. No, it wasn't Chris... it was a racoon. Do you suppose he has relatives in Mobile who told him about the ship & he just wanted to see where they had lived until caught?

August 30th, 2007, 2:08 am #2

As my son Zach and I were pulling into Peoria today (Weds.) on I-74 we saw a racoon on the other side of the highway hitching a ride and holding a sign that read "Evansville."

You guys on the LST are cold-blooded, kicking that racoon off the ship.

August 30th, 2007, 2:13 am #3

that the guys were having 'coon cakes (you know, like salmon patties) for lunch tomorrow... Steve's specialty!

August 30th, 2007, 2:19 am #4

As my son Zach and I were pulling into Peoria today (Weds.) on I-74 we saw a racoon on the other side of the highway hitching a ride and holding a sign that read "Evansville."

You guys on the LST are cold-blooded, kicking that racoon off the ship.
them back to E-ville in your VW, didn't you?????

August 30th, 2007, 3:30 am #5

I would have picked him up but I'm not in the Beetle and the coon was heading back to Evansville. I'm still in Peoria. I had to rent a truck and bring more merchandise from the gift shop -- everything on the ship sold out.

Sandy's back in Evansville ordering things as we speak so we'll be stocked up again by LST Week 2007.

It's a great problem to have.

August 30th, 2007, 4:57 am #6

Loading that truck!

August 31st, 2007, 10:27 pm #7

SAVING OPOSSUMS-RACCOONS

I know that you’ve seen the dead opossums and raccoons lying beside the roads all over the United States. It’s a sad affair. It seems they are forever getting run over by unknowing drivers of vehicles. By the numbers one sees on the side of the road you would think they are about to become extinct. This is not too far from the truth in the opinion of many. Those of us with this concern have banded together in an effort to eliminate the untimely deaths of these mild mannered animals. We have decided it is our duty to somehow save these animals. We have begun a concerted effort to have light sensitive reflective safety collars placed on those still living. We are asking for your help in this endeavor and ask that you send ten dollars which will be used only for this effort. Your ten dollars could save the life of seven animals. Right now we are paying approximately one dollar and forty cents for these collars, but as the program develops we feel we can get a better volume price. We have thus far placed over 700 collars on Opossums and Raccoons in this country and hope to make many more. So far it appears to be working. Have you seen any opossums beside the road wearing our safety reflective collars? If so, please report it to me at the above address and I will obtain the collar for reuse. If you’ve not seen any with the reflective safety collar then that in itself proves the system is working. You may want to increase your donation to maybe fifty or so dollars. It can be sent to the same above address. We have agents right now in the fields placing these collars. It’s not an easy job, but they are dedicated just as you and I are and someone has to do it. Please send your donation as soon as possible so they can continue their work.

Today the opossums and raccoons, tomorrow the Armadillo!!

August 31st, 2007, 10:46 pm #8

ARMADILLO 'N RICE
1 armadillo, dressed and cleaned
4 large onions
1 stalk celery
2 cans chopped mushrooms
2 cups rice, uncooked
Salt and pepper to taste
10 cups armadillo broth
Boil armadillo until tender; reserve broth. Remove meat from bones. Cut onions and celery and cook in butter until tender. Add mushrooms and meat and simmer for 5 minutes. Put in a large baking pan or dutch oven and add 10 cups of hot broth; add rice, salt and pepper; stir. Place in 375 degrees F. oven and cook until tender. Serves 12.

POSSUM PATTIES
Remove meat from bones and grind. Add bread crumbs, onion, salt, pepper, egg, and fat; mix thoroughly. Form into patties; dip into egg; then dip in bread crumbs. Fry in hot fat until brown. Cover with currant jelly sauce and place in slow oven for 1 hour.

And last but absolutely never the least...

SNIPE ALMONDINE
12 snipe split down back
1/4 cup flour
Salt and pepper
4 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup white table wine
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup blanched, sliced almonds
Dust birds in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Melt butter in a heavy skillet or electric frying pan and saute birds until nicely browned. Add wine and lemon juice. Cover and continue cooking slowly for 15-20 minutes. Add almonds and cook for 5-10 minutes longer or until birds are fork tender. (Allow 4 snipe per serving.)

September 1st, 2007, 3:05 am #9

I am so sorry to say this, but PLEASE, PLEASE never invite me to your home to eat. I've always heard about your wonderful cookies, but now I am a little bit concerned.

Ann

September 1st, 2007, 4:10 am #10

I can bake, but i don't profess to know how to cook!!! Why do you think those guys won't let me in the galley other than to get another cup a joe????