Some additional photos from LST 325

Some additional photos from LST 325

August 14th, 2009, 6:05 am #1

It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood...

But really hot below, eh, Dave?

Roy Lee is proud to be aboard!

The tank deck at a quiet (or as close as it ever gets) moment after the crowds of the week...

Anyone guess what this is from? A lot of time was spent marking displays for visitors.

A view through the plexiglas... (there is a light from the overhead on the tank deck reflected, so don't be alarmed!)

These fire pumps are one of the many items on display on the tank deck

Ray Cashen cleaned up this gangway in preparation for the visit to Jeffersonville

August 14th, 2009, 6:15 am #2

Isaac is a student at the Merchant Marine Academy in New York and is doing an internship aboard. He's learning from the Masters... The shipmates are sure enjoying having him aboard!

From the look on his face, he's enjoying it as much as Ad and Kenny

Ad, you are teaching him the proper things, aren't you????

The snipes spent a lot of time tracing pipes and labeling valves to make their job easier and more efficient when taking readings or transfering fluids

August 14th, 2009, 6:22 am #3

The Chief Engineer really gets into his work... and his hands prove it!

Rocky's "blue" pump... (need I say more????)

Isaac was pretty intent about his work, just as he should be. And Isaac, who taught you how to get those coveralls so dirty? Have you been hanging around Jerry Howe?

Trivia question of the day... What is this??? (Don't ask me, I'm looking for answers too!)

Ever seen one of these?

Last edited by SeaBat on August 14th, 2009, 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 14th, 2009, 6:31 am #4

Hard work can build up a hunger, right, Jim?

Some new line for Boats & Company

Let me guess... Hike has been aboard... Take a look at the marlinspike seamanship!

And after the hustle of LST Week, the visitors still come to share our Grey Lady!

The Monday Marines were there on Wednesday... to finish priming and painting the deck of the gun tub they are working on.

Dredging...

The passage in Officer's Country (and next to the galley) got a fresh coat of paint earlier this year... OOH RAH to our Marines for a great job! They do many painting projects without complaint and really take pride in their work (as they should)!

Junior Mint really is getting good with this deck squeegie

August 14th, 2009, 1:57 pm #5

The Chief Engineer really gets into his work... and his hands prove it!

Rocky's "blue" pump... (need I say more????)

Isaac was pretty intent about his work, just as he should be. And Isaac, who taught you how to get those coveralls so dirty? Have you been hanging around Jerry Howe?

Trivia question of the day... What is this??? (Don't ask me, I'm looking for answers too!)

Ever seen one of these?

The item in the photo is a water pump. It is properly named the S-type Eductor pump. It is used to remove water from a compartment. This item is especially important in firefighting and damage control. If you are spraying water in a compartment to fight a fire you also have to pump the water back out of the compartment. This pump works with water pressure.
A two inch fire hose is connected to the smaller input. A 4 inch discharge hose is connected to the large connection at the top. Those hoses can be seen along the bulkhead in the tank deck (those long black ones)
The unit is lowered into the compartment full of water. The fire hose is then turned on. Water pressure from the fire hose through a narrow jet in the pump creates a suction effect that pulls water from the lower part (the part with the screen around it) and discharges it out the large hose. A simllar item you may be familiar with is a small device you connect to a water bed mattrice to drain the water out of it.

This type pump is especially useful in areas where the power has failed or there is danger of explosive vapors. The P-250 electric water pump is also a portable damage control water pump that requires electric power to operate.

August 14th, 2009, 2:49 pm #6

The tank deck at a quiet (or as close as it ever gets) moment after the crowds of the week...

Anyone guess what this is from? A lot of time was spent marking displays for visitors.

A view through the plexiglas... (there is a light from the overhead on the tank deck reflected, so don't be alarmed!)

Ray Cashen cleaned up this gangway in preparation for the visit to Jeffersonville
I think that's one of our resident ghosts reflection. I'm sure they thought everyone was gone & were starting to roam freely. I haven't heard much about them lately. Guess they've been quiet so as not to disturb all our guests?

August 14th, 2009, 2:50 pm #7

Isaac is a student at the Merchant Marine Academy in New York and is doing an internship aboard. He's learning from the Masters... The shipmates are sure enjoying having him aboard!

From the look on his face, he's enjoying it as much as Ad and Kenny

Ad, you are teaching him the proper things, aren't you????

The snipes spent a lot of time tracing pipes and labeling valves to make their job easier and more efficient when taking readings or transfering fluids
When I met Isaac at the hospitality room he was much cleaner... glad to see he's getting into his work. His has great teachers!
Last edited by jo_wa on August 14th, 2009, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 14th, 2009, 2:54 pm #8

Thanks for posting these.

August 14th, 2009, 3:53 pm #9

The item in the photo is a water pump. It is properly named the S-type Eductor pump. It is used to remove water from a compartment. This item is especially important in firefighting and damage control. If you are spraying water in a compartment to fight a fire you also have to pump the water back out of the compartment. This pump works with water pressure.
A two inch fire hose is connected to the smaller input. A 4 inch discharge hose is connected to the large connection at the top. Those hoses can be seen along the bulkhead in the tank deck (those long black ones)
The unit is lowered into the compartment full of water. The fire hose is then turned on. Water pressure from the fire hose through a narrow jet in the pump creates a suction effect that pulls water from the lower part (the part with the screen around it) and discharges it out the large hose. A simllar item you may be familiar with is a small device you connect to a water bed mattrice to drain the water out of it.

This type pump is especially useful in areas where the power has failed or there is danger of explosive vapors. The P-250 electric water pump is also a portable damage control water pump that requires electric power to operate.

WOW! Thanks Bob... I didn't know for sure what it was - thought it was some kind of pump, but didn't know if it truly was, how it was used, or how it worked. You're a great teacher, my friend!

Sure was good to see you... but wish we would have had time to talk. LST Week went by WAY too fast!
Last edited by SeaBat on August 14th, 2009, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 14th, 2009, 4:00 pm #10

Thanks to all involved for sharing the great photography from LST Week ~ 2009, including the previous postings showing the MVPA Convention participants.

They are especially meaningful to the extended family of LST Ship Memorial supporters who couldn't attend and share all the well organized events. I seem to recall doubtful echoes from naysayers during the past few months that this could never be accomplished, so it is gratifying to see the fantastic turn out and well-attended events that continue to give Evansville honorable recognition as the Home Port of LST-325

The detail is amazing and as always, we can appreciate & learn so much from seeing the "insider" work with gadgets that keep the old gal steaming as before. Thanks also to Bob Pointer for his identification of the water pump!

What a great use of the tank deck to have exhibits arranged showing various components because this really gives visitors the total impact of what these ships were all about along with the technology that kept them going

You have already earned more Bravo Zulu's and Tare Victor George's (WWII signal designation for "Well done") than we can count, but here's more for you (take your pick for your favorite version: Navy Newbies or WW II Vets !!!

BZ

TVG

Source:http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq101-1.htm