ships lathe

ships lathe

July 27th, 2005, 12:53 am #1

Does anyone know if the South Bend lathe on the ship is in working order. I have some south bend lathe parts or I could get the parts needed to make it run again. I think it is a 16 inch lathe but I am not sure. Any info would be great. Thanks Dan

July 27th, 2005, 2:00 am #2

Mr. Whiting was working on getting the lathe running during the voyage. The last thing he needed was a reversing switich. I will assk him how far he got and respond back.

July 28th, 2005, 1:16 am #3

Does anyone know if the South Bend lathe on the ship is in working order. I have some south bend lathe parts or I could get the parts needed to make it run again. I think it is a 16 inch lathe but I am not sure. Any info would be great. Thanks Dan
I spoke to Mr. Whiting this evening and he says they need the following:
1- 1 1/2 hp a/c motor with 224 frame (d/c switiching gear is fubar)
1800 rpm 220/240 single phase

1- drum switch for reverse

1- each left, right and straight tool holder

also any operating manuals for speed selection etc.

He suggests you call the ship to verify the motor frame but he is pretty sure it's 224.

E-mail me if you need further info.

July 28th, 2005, 10:16 pm #4

I talked to Kenny Adams he thought that they had a motor and just needed a switch. He also said to call Joe Milakovich he was also working on the lathe. Dan

July 29th, 2005, 8:58 pm #5

great..........I'll pass on the info about the motor, the rest of the material is still needed I guess. My understanding is that they worked on getting the whole thing together with the DC motor only to find that the speed control equipment was not servicable and not repairable.

July 29th, 2005, 9:04 pm #6

I talked to Kenny Adams he thought that they had a motor and just needed a switch. He also said to call Joe Milakovich he was also working on the lathe. Dan
I have a switch that can be used for the lathe. I looked up the 224 motor frame in the grainger catalog and it said that frame was discontinued. We will have to find a frame that is close and make it fit. I also have some holders. Dan

July 30th, 2005, 3:49 am #7

but I'm trying to understand a bit more.

The DC switching gear is bad...so the lathe is going to be converted to AC...

I don't know much about it, but there are load factors for each motor/generator? I remember seeing the DC/AC converter when aboard... how do you prevent it from being overloaded? Do you somehow track all of the equipment that accesses it?

I don't know that I've expressed this very well...but hope you understand what I'm asking.

August 11th, 2005, 9:43 pm #8

calculating electrical loads is fairly straight forward using Ohm's Law for DC circuits but the problem in this case seems to be more complex. A lack of competent maintenance and/or improper use has left the reversing switch inoperative and non-repairable.

The easy fix here is to replace the DC motor with an AC motor and get newer, easier to maintain and/or replace AC switch.

I hope this answers your question. The politically incorrect answer would probably get this answer thrown off of the forum but Lauren has a 2 word answer that aptly describes the condition. e-mail me for that answer.

August 11th, 2005, 9:46 pm #9

I have a switch that can be used for the lathe. I looked up the 224 motor frame in the grainger catalog and it said that frame was discontinued. We will have to find a frame that is close and make it fit. I also have some holders. Dan
a 224 frame in our collections of "late model and type" motors. I will take a look this weekend.

August 12th, 2005, 12:35 am #10

calculating electrical loads is fairly straight forward using Ohm's Law for DC circuits but the problem in this case seems to be more complex. A lack of competent maintenance and/or improper use has left the reversing switch inoperative and non-repairable.

The easy fix here is to replace the DC motor with an AC motor and get newer, easier to maintain and/or replace AC switch.

I hope this answers your question. The politically incorrect answer would probably get this answer thrown off of the forum but Lauren has a 2 word answer that aptly describes the condition. e-mail me for that answer.
I found a complete lathe that matches the one on the ship. We can use the 3-phase motor that is on it or I can adapt a newer motor to it here in my workshop and send the parts to you. The lathe also has the feed and speed tag. Is there anything else that is needed for the lathe? Dan