Ship Tracker Info

Ship Tracker Info

August 23rd, 2010, 7:32 pm #1

Hi All.

I wanted to post some info on the ship tracker. Here's what I think I know. Haha.

The ship tracker is NOT 100% accurate. It is a system used by the Amateur Radio or HAM operators to track each other for different reasons. It is NOT like a GPS unit for your car. Perry has provided the system used on the LST 325 for the voyage to and from Pittsburgh. There will be some "dead zones" just like a cell phone. Perry's equipment is used to relay packets that will be picked up by a system that is connected to the internet and then relayed to the website that you are seeing. It only sends out packets at certain times. Not all the time. It is NOT an automated system. You will have to refresh your browser often to see the changes.

A note about the Hybrid Google Map. This map is satellite images taken over several years. It is NOT real time events. This Hybrid map is used for the purpose of landmarks to see where the ship is located.

If you notice the ship hasn't moved for awhile don't be alarmed. This is normal. Refresh your browser and/or try again a little later.

Don't forget to thank Perry for his many years of Ham Radio operation for this technology.

If you have any questions please post and I will try to answer them as best as I can.

Thanks and enjoy the ship tracker.

Tim

August 23rd, 2010, 8:44 pm #2

Couldn't have explained it any better. Thanks

August 25th, 2010, 10:49 pm #3

Hi All.

I wanted to post some info on the ship tracker. Here's what I think I know. Haha.

The ship tracker is NOT 100% accurate. It is a system used by the Amateur Radio or HAM operators to track each other for different reasons. It is NOT like a GPS unit for your car. Perry has provided the system used on the LST 325 for the voyage to and from Pittsburgh. There will be some "dead zones" just like a cell phone. Perry's equipment is used to relay packets that will be picked up by a system that is connected to the internet and then relayed to the website that you are seeing. It only sends out packets at certain times. Not all the time. It is NOT an automated system. You will have to refresh your browser often to see the changes.

A note about the Hybrid Google Map. This map is satellite images taken over several years. It is NOT real time events. This Hybrid map is used for the purpose of landmarks to see where the ship is located.

If you notice the ship hasn't moved for awhile don't be alarmed. This is normal. Refresh your browser and/or try again a little later.

Don't forget to thank Perry for his many years of Ham Radio operation for this technology.

If you have any questions please post and I will try to answer them as best as I can.

Tim
I think the explanation helps us understand a bit more about how this system works (and why it might not, depending on the area it is in or whether our computer is refreshing)!

Very much appreciated!

August 26th, 2010, 8:18 pm #4

opps did I make a mistake
Last edited by skivywaver on August 26th, 2010, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 30th, 2010, 10:21 pm #5

Hi All.

Tim
The GPS tracking unit is on loan from the Evansville Search and Rescue Unit.
These self contained units are attached to search dogs, teams or vehicle so that the control station can observe exactly where each member of the search team is located.
The unit currently has a 20 watt output. The Search and Rescue command center has all the necessary receivers and equipment installed.

While on the river this unit has to be within range of an amateur radio station that has the APRS reciever so that it can be picked up. Sometimes there are not many around, causing the location map on the web site to apparently cause the ship to be stopped or traveling across land.

September 1st, 2010, 11:13 am #6

That makes sense now! I figured the signal was lost but didn't understand where the signal was picked up even though I knew it was connected with the radio signals. I'm so glad to know that Steve's watch really didn't take her across land....lol. It's better than what we had but still has dependence on other things.