Serious and all other interested parties

Serious and all other interested parties

August 6th, 2006, 9:26 pm #1

I must apologize.

I should not have brought this weapon down to the bow for this photo. It seems to have stirred up quite a bit of “discussion”. This weapon is on loan to the ship and is displayed in our mess hall “Museum” area in a roped off section along with other artifacts that we have been asked to display by the owners or former owners. This weapon is on loan and is displayed in the memory of Stephen Huff at the request of his family, just as Larry has stated below. You can not see it in the photo, but this weapon has, literally, been cut into 4 sections and been welded back together. All of the weapons on display have been cut into several sections and welded back together. They are not operational and can never be. They comply with every federal and state law whether it is Indiana’s or Kentucky’s. With the exception of being used as a prop for this photo, it is and always has been, treated with the utmost respect along with the other weapons that we have on loan from this family. We do not handle these weapons except when we rearrange the display or store them away prior to getting under way. We have not been using any type of gloves when we handle these weapons. Perhaps we should. I very much respect the opinion of Pat Perrella on this matter.

We have photographed and logged this weapon, along with other items, into a log for future use. We did this when we first received them back in February of this year. We also spoke about this gift back then, in the discussion page.

Lately, when I post a photo of Chris, I have been trying to get something in the photo that also shows some work in progress or something new. I mentioned in a posting on July 23 that we had a contract on stripping and repainting the ramp and doors so they will be nice when we go to Cincinnati. We will be using the ramp as an entrance for the tours while we are there. So, as Chris stated, this is somewhat of a before photo.

The real and main reason for this photo was to show off our new sign. Total failure, since there is not one mention of it anywhere in any of these discussions.

I will take this opportunity to state that since the beginning of this web site, no one has been allowed to bring up politics or religion. This is not the forum for that type of thing and what has been posted has been copied and deleted from the forum and, any future posting of that nature will be handled likewise. Unfortunately, all responses are also removed, but I want to thank those that felt inclined to defend our policy, and that was most of you. I will try to catch them faster before they get too far along.

Tom Jake
Last edited by RustyScupper on August 22nd, 2006, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 8th, 2006, 12:33 am #2

Not to beat a dead horse but I missed the deleted thread and thought the photo was great.

I don't know what was said or implicated, but for anyone to make any assumptions from that photo about the breaking of any state or federal firearms laws displays a complete ignorance of those laws. Most of the gun is obscured by the sign.

I only mention this because one of my hobbies is collecting and shooting machine guns; which contrary to popular belief are legal to own if the proper procedures are followed. In fact mentioning Kentucky is funny becasue the biggest machine gun shoot in the country is held at Knob Creek in West Point, KY. It is open to the public and many private citizens bring their own weapons to shoot. This was featured in a Mail Call episode on the History Channel.

It is also legal to own a "dummy" gun fabricated from a cut receiver, which is what has been desribed as far as the gun Chris is holding.

I enjoy seeing pictures of the ship's volunteers and some of her collection.

If anyone whats to talk or has questions about machine gun law let me know.

I know I haven't been around much and nobody likes to beat a dead horse, but this I couldn't pass up.

August 8th, 2006, 12:59 am #3

We've received numerous emails from people saying how they laugh in disbelief at some of the antics and pictures. Some have, as in this case, wondered if it's the real thing or not. And I must add that those gator gals have been resilient at doctoring some of Rusty's photos, usually at my expense. I asked my main writer, Rusty, to produce some material that would improve my image and perhaps portray me as a tough guy. Well, he outdid himself alright. However, in the name of political correctness, I've had to fire him as writer but kept him on as photographer (subject to editing).

August 8th, 2006, 3:07 am #4

Not to beat a dead horse but I missed the deleted thread and thought the photo was great.

I don't know what was said or implicated, but for anyone to make any assumptions from that photo about the breaking of any state or federal firearms laws displays a complete ignorance of those laws. Most of the gun is obscured by the sign.

I only mention this because one of my hobbies is collecting and shooting machine guns; which contrary to popular belief are legal to own if the proper procedures are followed. In fact mentioning Kentucky is funny becasue the biggest machine gun shoot in the country is held at Knob Creek in West Point, KY. It is open to the public and many private citizens bring their own weapons to shoot. This was featured in a Mail Call episode on the History Channel.

It is also legal to own a "dummy" gun fabricated from a cut receiver, which is what has been desribed as far as the gun Chris is holding.

I enjoy seeing pictures of the ship's volunteers and some of her collection.

If anyone whats to talk or has questions about machine gun law let me know.

I know I haven't been around much and nobody likes to beat a dead horse, but this I couldn't pass up.

nice to see your about.
Tom and Chris thought they would have little FUN and all hell broke loose. I am sitting here watching CSI Miami and it dawned on me that they are now doing damage control and trying to stay out of the BRIG!, by getting rid of the evidance.....[grin]

As for the sign, couldn't see it very good,couldn't read it. Ray would have Graded it, and I would have used a whiter shade of white and bolder red. Sherry would have used more colors, SeaBat would have wanted to needle gun it and Bob R would have wanted to put it in lights. I can't remember who at the moment, but the person would have wanted to know if it was properly secured to the ramp. Skivvywaver would have wanted a flagpole on it to hoist a Hazard warning.

The Evansville crew and shore detachmnt does a Fantastic job everyday. Then again they have to, they are on video.

August 8th, 2006, 10:10 pm #5

I was thinking 120v ac on bare copper around the ramp about seadoo level!

Bob R.

August 10th, 2006, 4:36 am #6

nice to see your about.
Tom and Chris thought they would have little FUN and all hell broke loose. I am sitting here watching CSI Miami and it dawned on me that they are now doing damage control and trying to stay out of the BRIG!, by getting rid of the evidance.....[grin]

As for the sign, couldn't see it very good,couldn't read it. Ray would have Graded it, and I would have used a whiter shade of white and bolder red. Sherry would have used more colors, SeaBat would have wanted to needle gun it and Bob R would have wanted to put it in lights. I can't remember who at the moment, but the person would have wanted to know if it was properly secured to the ramp. Skivvywaver would have wanted a flagpole on it to hoist a Hazard warning.

The Evansville crew and shore detachmnt does a Fantastic job everyday. Then again they have to, they are on video.

An image came to mind. A drawing of the OSHA Cowboy astride his fully safety enhanced horse.