Sad news for Gold Crew

Sad news for Gold Crew

January 2nd, 2011, 6:18 pm #1

I am very sorry to have to inform everyone that Ron Maranto passed away last night. He was in the hospital for a procedure and passed away during the night with a severe heart attack. Our prayers go out to Barb and his family. Ron was one of our electricians on the Gold Crew when we returned the ship 10 years ago. He was a hard worker and a valuable member of our crew. He will be missed. Arrangements are not made yet. Will keep you posted.
Bob Jornlin

January 2nd, 2011, 8:18 pm #2

Ron will be sorely missed. He made the Mt Vernon trip with us last April. My condolences to Barb and the family.

January 2nd, 2011, 10:07 pm #3

I am very sorry to have to inform everyone that Ron Maranto passed away last night. He was in the hospital for a procedure and passed away during the night with a severe heart attack. Our prayers go out to Barb and his family. Ron was one of our electricians on the Gold Crew when we returned the ship 10 years ago. He was a hard worker and a valuable member of our crew. He will be missed. Arrangements are not made yet. Will keep you posted.
Bob Jornlin
Ron's smile and soft spoken whit will be missed.

January 2nd, 2011, 11:01 pm #4

Bob Jornlin
Shocked and disappointed to hear about Ron, the "videographer" for the Crete-
to-Mobile trip ten years ago, and a regular crewmember for us until this year. His recorded history helped promote our ship's epic adventure and will continue to do so for future generations. He was always available for talks to groups and did so for my "first ship's" New Orleans reunion 5 years ago. I was looking forward to seeing him next week.

As the Seagull that follows the ship out to sea turns back and disappears
over the horizon, flying on beyond our sight, so too we know that Ron carries on in his course upward, beyond our human sight, but not beyond our wonderful memories which will not fade.

Our prayers go out for Barb and Family to be comforted by God's love for them, as Ron continues his journey with fair winds and following seas.

Perry

January 3rd, 2011, 2:48 am #5

Bob Jornlin
On behalf of my dad, James Edwards, just wanted to express our sympathy to the family. My dad still talks about the return of the ship from Crete, but sometimes the details get a little jumbled. However, when he speaks of Ron, there is no confusion. His favorite phrase about Ron is "there is NOTHING that would take the smile off his face". When told of Ron's death, we was extremely saddened, but did say that he knows that Ron is looking down on the ship and its' dedicated crew and will always keep the twinkle in eyes.

God bless, Ron, and may you rest in peace.

January 3rd, 2011, 4:10 am #6

A true gentleman in every sense of the word.

January 3rd, 2011, 5:05 am #7

Bob Jornlin
to Barbara, their family and Ron's fellow crewmembers.

"There is a port of no return, where ships
May ride at anchor for a little space
And then, some starless night the cable slips,
Leaving an eddy at the mooring place...
Gulls, veer no longer. Sailor, rest your oar.
No tangled wreckage will be washed ashore."

Leslie Nelson Jennings
"Lost Harbor"

January 3rd, 2011, 8:58 am #8

Words cannot express our sadness of the loss of Ron.

He was a true friend, crew member and a great veteran.

We will miss his wonderful smile and great wit.

Our condolances to Barbara and family.

May His soul, through the grace of God, rest in peace, Amen.

Ron will be watching over us as our guardian Angel.

Steve and Jo

January 3rd, 2011, 1:23 pm #9

Bob Jornlin
that can say after meeting Ron, that there isn't something that stands out in our mind about him. Take a moment...close your eyes,think about the first time you met him... Think about EVERYTIME, you were fortunate to run into him. The thoughts...all the same... Always a smile with a positive greeting, then came the big hug.

Many of us met him for the first time, 10 January 2001.
"A Day That Will Forever Be Etched In My Memories."

Words can not express the sadness that surrounds us, God Bless everyone that was touched by Ron's life. He will be missed.

Ann

January 3rd, 2011, 7:42 pm #10

Bob Jornlin
What a great guy, a true Gentleman and a Gentle Man.
My memories include how he always brought that red wine and chicory coffee for Boats and himself every time he came to the ship. I think he and Boats were the only ones who drank the stuff but they sure enjoyed it.

Fair winds and a following sea Ron.