Rusty Bitts and Pieces

Rusty Bitts and Pieces

February 11th, 2006, 3:14 am #1

Some very nice weapons, photos and other military items, have recently been loaned to the LST We are very happy for this loan and want to extend a very sincere THANK YOU to the Huff Family for allowing us to display them. For all those who have made the tour before we put up the display, it is well worth coming down to see. For those who haven’t been down, well, here is just another good reason to do so.
The LST has a fine group of volunteers. Well informed tour guides, and an excellent and hard working maintenance team. Things are constantly happening on board to help keep her ship shape. Come on down and experience a bit of history.

Photo: One of the weapons, a German MG34 Light Machine Gun.

Rusty

February 11th, 2006, 5:30 pm #2

I've heard there is some restoration work going on in the 'wing shops' aboard ship.... and that the floors look great!!!

Since I'm not in Evansville, can anyone post and let me know... I'm particularly interested in the machine shop... since that's where Dad spent alot of his time...

"Rusty Scuppers" do they currently have a display of artifacts on board? Those of us far away don't always know what is happening on board... we would appreciate it if you will share what kind of items they have on display... and appreciated seeing the photo you posted!
Last edited by SeaBat on February 11th, 2006, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 12th, 2006, 2:12 am #3

Yes. We have a very nice display on board which includes a British Bren light machine gun, a British Sten sub machine gun as well as the German MG34. We also have some very nice WWII aircraft photos as well as a Japanese flag, head band, British trenching shovel, and some tech manuals for the weapons.

We are currently doing the floors in the shop areas. One of our volunteers, by the name of Roy, finished working diligently to chip away all the old paint and rust in the machine shop and the area has had the first coat of "Red" paint. I saw some photos by the maintenance foreman that gives a fairly good "before" view of the machine shop floor. I will try to get a copy of that and then do the "After shot for you. The Scullery has had the floor completely redone by members of the Gold crew and it looks Great, thanks to Ron Maranto and Bruce Voges. These two also did a large area of the tank deck bulkhead while they were in town and some very hard work on the LCVPs. Thanks to Andy, the passageway running by the scullery has been chipped down and cleaned up as well as the galley and mess area, The control room has had some work done also. The Forward Port head area down to the Surgery has been reserved by the local Sea Scouts as a project and that includes four or five sections of the port wing deck. They plan on starting the project before the trip to Louisville.

I haven't been on board for the last couple of days due to the arrival of company but I wouldn't be surprised if more work hasn't been done in the above areas. It seems if you miss a few days and come back, there is always something that has been done to make the LST better.

I might add that the maintenance crew has just about eliminated all the leaks that appear after each rain shower. It is getting very hard to find a puddle anywhere below decks.

There has been some extensive work done on the LCVPs but I think I will call on Larry Hahn to fill you in on that. It has been his project and it is proceeding very nicely. I'll try to grab a photo or two of that progress also.

Rusty

February 12th, 2006, 3:25 am #4

Appreciate all of the information. Although I am the one that asked, I know many others appreciate hearing what is happening as well!

I get homesick for the grey girl!

Look forward to Larry's review of what has been done on the LCVP's.

Hope that you all know how much we appreciate the work you are putting in... I wish I was there to help - truly. Unfortunately, I live a distance away and have to work for a living!

It's wonderful to see Gold Crew and new crew and volunteers working together for the good of the Ship! She is alive, well, operational and THRIVING!!!

February 12th, 2006, 3:56 am #5

Yes. We have a very nice display on board which includes a British Bren light machine gun, a British Sten sub machine gun as well as the German MG34. We also have some very nice WWII aircraft photos as well as a Japanese flag, head band, British trenching shovel, and some tech manuals for the weapons.

We are currently doing the floors in the shop areas. One of our volunteers, by the name of Roy, finished working diligently to chip away all the old paint and rust in the machine shop and the area has had the first coat of "Red" paint. I saw some photos by the maintenance foreman that gives a fairly good "before" view of the machine shop floor. I will try to get a copy of that and then do the "After shot for you. The Scullery has had the floor completely redone by members of the Gold crew and it looks Great, thanks to Ron Maranto and Bruce Voges. These two also did a large area of the tank deck bulkhead while they were in town and some very hard work on the LCVPs. Thanks to Andy, the passageway running by the scullery has been chipped down and cleaned up as well as the galley and mess area, The control room has had some work done also. The Forward Port head area down to the Surgery has been reserved by the local Sea Scouts as a project and that includes four or five sections of the port wing deck. They plan on starting the project before the trip to Louisville.

I haven't been on board for the last couple of days due to the arrival of company but I wouldn't be surprised if more work hasn't been done in the above areas. It seems if you miss a few days and come back, there is always something that has been done to make the LST better.

I might add that the maintenance crew has just about eliminated all the leaks that appear after each rain shower. It is getting very hard to find a puddle anywhere below decks.

There has been some extensive work done on the LCVPs but I think I will call on Larry Hahn to fill you in on that. It has been his project and it is proceeding very nicely. I'll try to grab a photo or two of that progress also.

Rusty
First, I would like to thank all of the tour guides who have helped make the Military Display what it is today. Without everybody's suggestions and help, it would have been a lot harder for Tom and some of the rest of us to put this together.

Mr, Huff, the owner of most of our new items, has asked us today not to use the Huff name but the name of his son in our statements regarding "his" display.

Mr. Huff's son passed away about 3 yeares ago in a tragic automobile accident in Oaklohoma, I believe.

I am truley embarressed but I left his name in a report on the ship today and I will include his name tomorrow.

His son was a military buff who did military reinactments and collected military items.

Again, I am embarressed by my forgetfulness in leaving his name on the ship.

Yes Tom, leave a couple of days and things have changed, we put a chain on the hatch in front of the display today which dropped the hatch about table level. Great improvement.

We will also move things around to really fowl you up when you return. (snicker)

Tom takes great pictures and we are working on possibly a new series called "Places on LST325 where you usually don't go" or something like that.

Look for it in the near future.

Larry

(smile)

February 12th, 2006, 4:12 am #6

Appreciate all of the information. Although I am the one that asked, I know many others appreciate hearing what is happening as well!

I get homesick for the grey girl!

Look forward to Larry's review of what has been done on the LCVP's.

Hope that you all know how much we appreciate the work you are putting in... I wish I was there to help - truly. Unfortunately, I live a distance away and have to work for a living!

It's wonderful to see Gold Crew and new crew and volunteers working together for the good of the Ship! She is alive, well, operational and THRIVING!!!
Efforts to restore both of the LCVP's is going forward.

These boats are mainly fiberglass with armor plate along the sides.

The armor plates on both boats have been commercially sand blasted and primed with ipoxy paint.

The fiber glass sides will be sanded and painted when the weather allows.

Both of the "ramps" have also been sand blasted and primed.

The LCVP nearest the LST325 had a problem with some "floatation" material sprayed in the sub-flooring. This material had become "water logged" and was causing a possible danger from a hard freeze. This could have caused the area to expand causing extensive damage to this boat.

Several Tour Guides, in our spare time, cut open the decking and removed this fowl smelling, heavy and offensive material. Because it was "glued" in or at least was stuck to the sides of the chambers, it had to be cut out piece by piece. (The thickness was aprox. 20")

I was told I looked like I was cutting "blubber" from a whale, or was it I looked like a whale full of blubber, either way, the material was removed and properly disposed of.

The next problem is all of the over spray of black sand from the "sand blasters".

The sand has become wet and sticky and cannot be completly removed until it dries out.

I wish to thank all of the guys for helping with this "mess".

I am waiting on Kenny Adams return to determine what the next step is regarding replacement of the deck.

Right now, the deck is not a pretty picture.

Larry

(smile)

February 12th, 2006, 5:24 am #7

I've heard there is some restoration work going on in the 'wing shops' aboard ship.... and that the floors look great!!!

Since I'm not in Evansville, can anyone post and let me know... I'm particularly interested in the machine shop... since that's where Dad spent alot of his time...

"Rusty Scuppers" do they currently have a display of artifacts on board? Those of us far away don't always know what is happening on board... we would appreciate it if you will share what kind of items they have on display... and appreciated seeing the photo you posted!
Here ya go. Before and After. When I left the other day it was just primed. Thanks to Roy Lee and Pete Crasher for their hard work. That's Roy in the photo.

February 12th, 2006, 5:27 pm #8

Thanks Tom for posting it and for the wonderful updates all of you have given on the activities aboard the 325!

I'm sure many who read here would love to see photographs of other work being completed. Maybe as someone has time (and I know you're all VERY busy getting work done) you can post additional photographs of before/after shots in various places.

As I said, I had a particular interest in the Machine Shop - and have a tooling donation to bring to the ship the next time I'm over. Dad served as a MoMM, normally in the Aux Engine Room, but also spent some time in the machine shop as he had a bit of experience on lathes and drill presses (not much, he was only 18!). He also served as an engineman on the pontoons (rhino barges) during invasions - taking men and equipment into the beach.

You all did a wonderful job on the floor in there - I'm sure he's grinning down from up above!

February 13th, 2006, 3:41 am #9

Here ya go. Before and After. When I left the other day it was just primed. Thanks to Roy Lee and Pete Crasher for their hard work. That's Roy in the photo.

of SeaBats rendering praise an gifts of food, you could find yourselves refinishing her floors and painting her porch. Then again I would be helping too.

February 14th, 2006, 3:30 am #10

First, I would like to thank all of the tour guides who have helped make the Military Display what it is today. Without everybody's suggestions and help, it would have been a lot harder for Tom and some of the rest of us to put this together.

Mr, Huff, the owner of most of our new items, has asked us today not to use the Huff name but the name of his son in our statements regarding "his" display.

Mr. Huff's son passed away about 3 yeares ago in a tragic automobile accident in Oaklohoma, I believe.

I am truley embarressed but I left his name in a report on the ship today and I will include his name tomorrow.

His son was a military buff who did military reinactments and collected military items.

Again, I am embarressed by my forgetfulness in leaving his name on the ship.

Yes Tom, leave a couple of days and things have changed, we put a chain on the hatch in front of the display today which dropped the hatch about table level. Great improvement.

We will also move things around to really fowl you up when you return. (snicker)

Tom takes great pictures and we are working on possibly a new series called "Places on LST325 where you usually don't go" or something like that.

Look for it in the near future.

Larry

(smile)
These are the kinds of reports I like reading. They are as good as battle reports of complete success.
I'm glad there is still lots of action going on at the ship. I would like to suggest that a book of before and after pictures be published and sold. It could also act as a book of accomplishment and record.
Besides that, it would be the standard for perpetual up-keep and compartment inventory. The high standard of restoration work there is an enviable example to many other projects, I'm sure.
Keep up the good work.