Radio gang

Radio gang

February 28th, 2007, 5:26 am #1

While reading in an earlier threat posted by strada70 of LST losses,the loss of LST563 caught my eye. This "T" was lost 700 miles west of Mexico at Clipperton Island. Well I did a web search and it seems as if some amature radio operators trek down to DX from the island. There were some pictures of what appeared to be 40mm ammo in the sand but the containers were gone, and some 20mm and 50cal. The disposition of the ammo would seem to indicate it came from the "563 and not abandoned after the US occoupation.

To get to the point does any of the radio gang know any of the Ham operators that went to Clipperton and if so could they find out any more about the artfacts in the island.

February 28th, 2007, 2:14 pm #2

I might be able to find something for you in the ARRL files if you could give me the approximate date of the expedition. There have been a number of them to this region. Let me know and I will see what can be found.

February 28th, 2007, 4:36 pm #3

The first Clipperton trip by Radio Amateurs was in 1954
and the principal person was a Robert Denniston from Iowa.
He is now deceased. There have been a number of visits since then, and some deep searching of QST Magazine (Americal Radio Relay League) files would reveal who the personnel were. Then comes more research. Interesting subject.....

February 28th, 2007, 5:47 pm #4

knowing how much time the hams spend talking to DX when they are there I would wonder if they had any time to explore on the island? If a time frame for when the ammunition was spotted were known, then you could zero in on which expedition to research as to which hams to look for. It is easy to find a ham if you have his call or name. The FCC files are very good on this. See www.ARRL.org or www.qrz.com

February 28th, 2007, 8:39 pm #5

qsl.net has the names for the 2000 expedition and one of them was on the 1992 expedition and the pictures of the ammo are on the site.

March 3rd, 2007, 6:39 pm #6

knowing how much time the hams spend talking to DX when they are there I would wonder if they had any time to explore on the island? If a time frame for when the ammunition was spotted were known, then you could zero in on which expedition to research as to which hams to look for. It is easy to find a ham if you have his call or name. The FCC files are very good on this. See www.ARRL.org or www.qrz.com

Sounds like there are several people with radio experence here. Hmm time to get a radio group together.