Progress Report

Progress Report

June 2nd, 2006, 3:59 pm #1

The photo and descriptive report on the placement of a hatch leading into the shaft alley from the engine room is just like the work accomplished. Truly a work of art. This is reminiscent of going into the yards and having this type of work accomplished. Many people all over the place and of course the fire watches throughout the areas of work. The assistance of the fire department really shows the cooperation the crew is receiving from the community.

Well done, both in the installation and the reporting.

Question ... Where did they get the used hatch? Keeping with the ship's age and configuration, it looks like it fits right in.

June 2nd, 2006, 4:14 pm #2

Tom; The Progress report looks good! I have not looked at it in a few weeks.

On the new hatch? You can go into the Archive’s of the progress report ( March 24 2004 ) and see where the hatch came from.

I think it’s neat that we have 2 – LST 1148 crew members ( Terry Leahy & Jerry Howe ) and the 2nd hatch from their ship is on the 325. I can’t believe no one asked where the hatch came from. A custom built hatch cost well over $1000.00! The Captain, Boats, and Jim Bartlett were looking ahead when they sent a crew to Rhode Island to get parts from the 1148.

Thanks Tom!

June 2nd, 2006, 7:44 pm #3

The lion's share of the credit for this massive hatch project goes to Pete Crasher's Evansville maintanance crew men Ray Cashen, Roger Smith, and Butch Vaughn. Great job!

And a tremendous thanks to the many Evansville Fire Department men who were on hand to supervise safety issues.

We're looking forward to seeing many of our out-of-town friends soon.

June 3rd, 2006, 2:55 am #4

The photo and descriptive report on the placement of a hatch leading into the shaft alley from the engine room is just like the work accomplished. Truly a work of art. This is reminiscent of going into the yards and having this type of work accomplished. Many people all over the place and of course the fire watches throughout the areas of work. The assistance of the fire department really shows the cooperation the crew is receiving from the community.

Well done, both in the installation and the reporting.

Question ... Where did they get the used hatch? Keeping with the ship's age and configuration, it looks like it fits right in.
the difference between a door and a hatch? Are the terms interchangeable?

June 4th, 2006, 12:25 am #5

Per Bluejackets' Manual, 1960, page 193, Chapter 12, Facts About Ships; The Parts of a Ship: "Openings through bulkheads, for entering or leaving compartments, are called doors; openings in a deck for passing from one level to another are hatches." Interchangeable terms? I shall not nit-pic!

June 4th, 2006, 1:46 am #6

And then someone throws in the word 'scuttle' and my head whirls...

I'm so afraid I'll call something the wrong thing.. (like that's never happened before... laughing...)

June 7th, 2006, 10:04 am #7

Per Bluejackets' Manual, 1960, page 193, Chapter 12, Facts About Ships; The Parts of a Ship: "Openings through bulkheads, for entering or leaving compartments, are called doors; openings in a deck for passing from one level to another are hatches." Interchangeable terms? I shall not nit-pic!
Here all this time I have been trying to retrain my mind to use the right terms when I am on the ship and have been ridiculed about using the wrong terms and all along I was right. I have been criticized for using door when refering to a hatch between compartments now all I have to do is find a few of the "old timers" and straighten them out, or maybe I should be like you and not nic-pic and let a sleeping dog lay.

June 7th, 2006, 3:05 pm #8

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

June 7th, 2006, 9:15 pm #9

if anyone thought I was nit picking. I was asking a question... and was hoping for clarification..

I have learned a great deal, but have much more to learn. I think that's why alot of us post here...

Again, sorry if anyone thought I was being rude... that's never my intention.

June 8th, 2006, 1:07 am #10

SeaBat,
I absolutely did not infer that you were nit-picking!!!!!!!
I received your query with the purest intentions of answering a legitimate question. My inference was that I would not nic-pic anyone for using a incorrect term when referring to a naval item.
One of the challenges of modern e-mails is communicating clearly your thoughts, etc., in a oneway manner, without the helps of body language and tone inflections as means of correctly identifying pure intentions. In other words, "what exactly did you really mean?" So much for " modern communication!"